firstly ..
# Enable Guest Account from Control Panel -> User Accounts
# Put a password to that account.
To do this .. either
* go to Control Panel -> User Accounts and create a password
or ..
* My Computer (right click) -> Manage
* Comp Management -> Local Users & Grps -> Users
* Choose "guest" -> right click -> Set Password.

This much job will ensure a password protection everytime a someone tries to access your windows share.
Just note that Windows XP doesnt have folder level passwords. There will be a password required to connect to your computer. And once connected, user will be able to access all shared folders.

You can have more options if you have NTFS drives and allow certain users only to edit certain folders. So the shared folders will also be accessible only to specific users.

For added security ... you can do the following
# Go to Start -> Run -> Type "gpedit.msc"
# Go to Computer config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Security Options.
# Find and entry called => "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" and change it to "Guest Only" mode.
This will allow only guest account to be logged in from network. If you want other accounts to access your windows shares then just revert back the entry to "Classic" option.
# For security, it's also reccommended to change the name of Administrator account from "Accounts : Rename administrator account" in the same window.

NOTE: Windows 98 somehow doesnt accept "guest" accounts. It will always try to access IPC$ share and will require you to put in your Adminitrator password ( whether or not "guest only" is selected in gpedit )

Hope I've made things clear.

-----
alibi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom