Please Help Me Buy 2 Business Laptops ( Non Gaming)

abraham

Broken In
Dear Laptop Experts,

Seeking help to buy 2 business laptops- one for my wife and one for me. The said laptops would be used only for business use. I have gone through the questions in this forum asking for similar advice, but all , if not most, of them had to do with Gaming Laptops of different budgets. More details in the questionnaire below:
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)- For one of the laptops the budget is Rs 25,000 to 35,000 and for the other from Rs. 35,000 to Rs.40,000 max. This budget is including the OS ( Windows 7, 8 or 8.1)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer? Both would be mainstream laptops with size of 15.6 inches and would have optical drive. The weight could be around 2 kgs or so ( excluding charger, etc. etc.). Weight is not much of an issue.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
80% of the work would be- Huge amount of Multitasking with several files of Big Excel spreadsheets (often 20 MB or more), powerpoint presentations, MS Projects, Statistical Analysis, Documents, Desktop publishing etc
15% would be - Browsing Net,mail, Skype/Gtalk, watching online movies
5% would be- Music, Stored movies, simple photo editing ( Photoshop , Picassa - improve photos taken)

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ? Based on my enquiries ( for my knowledge in these matters is very limited, I was told the following details
a) Processor - 3rd or 4th Gen Core i5 or i7. Speeds approx 2.6 GHz or above. Open to AMD processors of similar performance if cost can be maintained or reduced without compromising speed and performance
b) RAM - 4 GB or above. DDR3 (1.3 or 1.6 GHz)
c) GPU- Integrated will be sufficient. Separate not required
d) OS- Windows 7/8/8.1 64 bit
e) Display : 15.6 inches, 1366 x 768. Touchscreen desirable :razz:but not essential
f) Build Quality : should last for at least 5 years. Brushed aluminium desirable if it comes in the budget
g) Battery - 6 hours ( 60 Wh) at least

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? No preferences. I have heard that the durability and build quality of Lenovo and Asus are the best at this price range. This might or might not be true

6) Anything else you would like to say? Warranty- There are some brands with 3 years warranty. If this is possible then I would love that. Would love on-site warranty. Nothing elsecomes to mind. Would be more than glad to clarify on receiving questions

7 ) Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) ) - Online or good shops in Mumbai. I have relatives in the Dubai. Does it make sense to request them to bring one in the suitcase or hand without customs duty. Would there be International Warranty coverage, in such cases ?

Shall be most obliged if the experts in this forum could help me out with this decision.

Regards, Abraham

Last edited:
OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Please help. I depend on this forum to buy technical products. Previously, I made my LG Optimus smartphone based on the advice of this forum and later on the specs for my desktop was also given by members of this forum.

Any and all help will be appreciated. Please do help

- - - Updated - - -

No one to help ??? Not a single one ???

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Lenovo G50-45 for below 30k, Lenovo Z50 or Flex 2 for below 40k.

Thanks a lot Sir for the response. Could you please clarify the following:

1. Which Lenovo Z50: I checked and there are quite a few variants of this model ( if possible pls. give me a link)
2. In the case of Lenovo G50-45 is the AMD APU A8 processor good for multitasking and crunching huge population related health data in Excel, performing statistical analysis with large databases open etc. I was given to understand that AMD APU A8 processors are more suited for gaming purposes.
3. Also Flex 2 which is the variant. The Core i5 are about Rs. 43,000 ( if possible pls. give me a link)

Much obliged for the trouble taken to help me. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

254 views and one reply !! Come on guys ( n gals of course) a little knowledge sharing hasn't harmed anyone !! I had gone through earlier posts on this subject. Most of the suggestions pertain to Gaming laptops. A few older suggestions for business laptops are there but the models suggested are no longer available or better options are available. Hence the query...

Meanwhile I have a wife who wants a laptop yesterday !! Have a heart guys !!

Last edited:
OP
A

abraham

Broken In
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

Simon & Garfunkel -The Sound of Silence

SOB...SOB !!

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Have a look at HP 15-r007tx

Or it's variant with Windows included..

Thanks a lot for your suggestion !

Good specs. But can't find out a variant with Windows :( !!

How about this one Lenovo essential G50-70 (59-443034) ( Core i5 5th Gen / 4 GB / 1 TB / Windows 8.1 / 2 GB) Price in India, essential G50-70 (59-443034) Reviews & Specifications | 91mobiles.com.
or this
Buy Lenovo 80E501LRIN 15.6-inch Laptop (Core_i5_5200U/4GB/1TB/ATI JET LE R5 M230 DDR3L 2GB Graphics/), Black Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
Any opinion ??

Thanks again for helping .

Last edited:
Since you are not into gaming, any laptop with i5 + 4GB RAM will suffice your needs. I suggest you to go to some mall if possible, check out few laptops, check its price online, then buy......

For <35k, you will find laptops with i3 & windows..... 5th gen processors are out in market...
For <45k, i guess there is a Z50 laptop with i5 & 1080p screen without gpu (n without os too maybe)

Both the laptops you posted have similar configuration, good enough for you

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Anupam/ Kunal

Thanks for the suggestions. Will visit a store and check out prices and then compare it with online prices. Thanks a lot. BTW any are there any AMD processors which can match 4th gen Core i5 ??

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Anupam/ Kunal

Thanks for the suggestions. Will visit a store and check out prices and then compare it with online prices. Thanks a lot. BTW any are there any AMD processors which can match 4th gen Core i5 ??

Top line AMD just even can't match i3 forget i5.

Don't know about desktop grade.

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Thanks Kunal...

Moreover I was told that AMD drains power a lot and this is something not desired in a laptop

Am going to a few malls here today. Will keep the forum posted. Thanks alot for your help. Appreciate it a lot.

Regards,

Abraham

AMD is not as power efficient as intel ulvs.... ULVs provide great battery life in light loads(browsing Internet, office work) , even i7 ones provide 4-6 hrs battery life depending on brightness

Top Bottom