Pendrive giving trouble

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hi!

I am having a 4Gb Kingston Data Traveler 101 II . It suffer from a strange problem that whenever i try to safely remove it an error message pops up saying

"This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again."

No matter what i do i have several times formatted it checked it for errors but the problem persist. However when i plug in this pendrive in my friend's pc having Operating System same as mine or different it easily gets removed safely. None of my other pendrive exhibit this problem.

I don't have its bill so Kingston Support is out of question and i really love it as it read write @ 8-10mbps as compared to my other transcend pendrives which read write @ 5-6mbps.

PS:- Even though i remove it directly there is no loss of data but i still wanna remove this problem. i am using Windows 7 ultimate.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
It actually means there is some process which is accessing your Pen Drive.

I guess a virus?? As after you done with your work, no process would be trying to access it. But I think it's a virus because you said it's happening everytime.

Check your Task Manager, and kill suspicious process and try to remove the pen drive.

And also run a Online Scan to test existence of any virus

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
But if there exist a virus then shouldn't i had got rid of it by formatting it once. What happens to the virus when i plug it in my friend's pc.

Just asking please don't mind my questions.

bump............

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
the error itself says dat something is using the device....

But if there exist a virus then shouldn't i had got rid of it by formatting it once. What happens to the virus when i plug it in my friend's pc.

if the virus is in PC then no use of formatting the pendrive...ob each refresh the virus attacks the usb....

if u plug it in ur frnds PC then either of 1 will happen
1)His PC will be infected by the virus if no antivirus is there
2)His installed Antivirus will remove the virus on detection

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Just asking please don't mind my questions.

bump............

I indicated virus in your PC not pendrive.