pc upgrading suggestion

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
You mainboard supports crossfire but not in a full fledged way. Your 1 Pcie slot runs a t 16x while the other at 4x when in Crossfire. Though technically you can go Crossfire but its worth wont be the money you are spending on the second card. In simple terms quite a waste. Better get a single powerful GPU. But whats your budget after you sell off the existing card?

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
You mainboard supports crossfire but not in a full fledged way. Your 1 Pcie slot runs a t 16x while the other at 4x when in Crossfire. Though technically you can go Crossfire but its worth wont be the money you are spending on the second card. In simple terms quite a waste. Better get a single powerful GPU. But whats your budget after you sell off the existing card?

can't say. i think i'm still not convinced against crossfire but let's leave it there i'm not upgrading my pc except the ram part,
and any way after reading your post and opening up my desktop(yeah i'm finally home) i realized that my 6790 is actually connected in the x4 port, would that reduce performance?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
and any way after reading your post and opening up my desktop(yeah i'm finally home) i realized that my 6790 is actually connected in the x4 port, would that reduce performance?

As your card is HD6790, it won't reduce any significant performance. Very slight difference might be there while benchmarking, but it can't be marked by any day-to-day work/test.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
Connect it to the x16 slot.

done and there is a notable increase!!!!!!

few more questions :-
1) are there RAM slots with diff speeds in my mobo if yes how do i recogonize them?
2)what is the highest ram speed my mobo and processor support? is there a way to increase it?
3)for how much will i be able to sell my gpu? it is almost a year old and i have nothing(the box bill etc)

sorry for posting so late was away from civilization for 2 weeks(camping school trips)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
:goodjob:

Rams run in single ,dual and quad channel and MHz and Latencies and not according to x speeds as PCI/e standard works within. Now your particular processor and particular chipset ( since memory controllers have moved to CPU from Northbridge) will support dual channel memory up to 32GB. In short your memory sticks/modules should be in the blue slots of your motherboard to work at their best.

Officially it supports 1333Mhz in Dual Channel but you are safe with native 1600Mhz memory sticks also but it will be a waste since your board will downclock it 1333Mhz !!!

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
so if i get a new ram there is no point getting 1600 mhz as i can't get my mobo to use it @ higher than 1333 mhz? right??

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- How to change RAM Timings

Check if it this helps.

sorry i still don't get it i don't even know what latencies are.
the process that is given in the post is not applicable on EFI bios
is it overclocking the RAM?
how will it make my RAM go at 1600mhz even though my mobo supports only 1333?
is my mobo a piece of crap???:-(:-(

3)for how much will i be able to sell my gpu? it is almost a year old and i have nothing(the box bill etc)

answer pls?????

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, with a locked Intel Sandy Bridge Processor and H67 chipset based Motherboard, you can't run rams at 1600 MHz speed even if the Ram is a 1600 MHz one. This is not an issue with your motherboard but the universal property of all H67 chipset based motherboard.

Even I'm having an h61 motherboard and after BIOS update, the bios now has option to run the ram at 1600 MHz and 2133 MHz. There are also all overclocking options for both processor and ram. So I think we can run ram at 1600 MHz.

Even I'm having an h61 motherboard and after BIOS update, the bios now has option to run the ram at 1600 MHz and 2133 MHz. There are also all overclocking options for both processor and ram. So I think we can run ram at 1600 MHz.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman

do you think that will happen to my mobo if i update it?????
i don't get it, hows that possible, i thought memory slots were limited by hardware capabilities?

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
i leave the thought of upgrading the pc (except RAM which i've already ordered)

now i'll wait for the next gen gpu's to come out and then upgrade it.
is it true that the haswell proccesers will not run on lga 1155?
if yes then i'll probably wait for them to come out too, wait a bit more for good mobo's to come out and then make a mobo+cpu+gpu upgrade

one of my questions is still not answered
what are ram latencies and how do they affect speed?

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
i leave the thought of upgrading the pc (except RAM which i've already ordered)

now i'll wait for the next gen gpu's to come out and then upgrade it.
is it true that the haswell proccesers will not run on lga 1155?
if yes then i'll probably wait for them to come out too, wait a bit more for good mobo's to come out and then make a mobo+cpu+gpu upgrade

one of my questions is still not answered
what are ram latencies and how do they affect speed?

ddr4?

ram latency has nothing to do with speed. since the inception of ddr, all rams after that have had slower timings subsequently with each revision, but increase in the amount of data they can transfer ... so on the whole its the amount of data which you can carry determines ram speed and not how fast.

its the frequency of the ram and the type which matters....

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
okay,
so i upgraded my RAM
now i think it is about time to upgrade the rest of my PC.

I was thinking on a new CPU + GPU + mobo
as i'll be changing my mobo i'm open to both amd as well as intel CPU i haven't worked out the budget yet so suggest the best.............

okay,
so i upgraded my RAM
now i think it is about time to upgrade the rest of my PC.

I was thinking on a new CPU + GPU + mobo
as i'll be changing my mobo i'm open to both amd as well as intel CPU i haven't worked out the budget yet so suggest the best.............

But why do you want to upgrade? you have a good system.

Top Bottom