PC upgrade within 20k

mayanks_098

world is evil
Hi. Want to upgrade my dying pc within 20k. So lets start with the template:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: HD movies/ Some gaming (when I get time, it should be able to run all the games, not much of a hardcore gamer now a days, but still would like to have an option when i get time from work)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: yes! Ofcourse, why not!

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 20k (a couple more if its really worth it)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Wont be necessary

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7 premium or XP

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Have a crashed 1TB WD HDD. But since RMA will take time, ill need a HDD as well.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: I have the one which came in with my HCL pc 5 years ago. Its a 19" LCD with res of 1440x900 if i am not wrong.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 4 (not up-to-date)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Will get it assembled

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: ASAP (cant live without a pc)

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes. For that reason, I am looking to stick to my Intel C2D E6300 for now. Hence looking for a Intel mobo with 775 socket. I will upgrade proccy and mobo when i have more money. But for now, I just need that thing to power up.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor (will definitely upgrade later), Kb, mouse, RAM (I have 5 gb 667 MHz DDR2 ram, but since DDR3 are going so cheap and DDR2 might be incompatible, I might go for DDR3), cabinet (HCL one), DVD writer (ASUS).
So I guess I need 775 mobo, gfx card, hdd, a GOOD PSU (imp), RAM (will be good if i can save and use my DDR2s, no old 775 proccy's available with DDR2 slots?), a UPS (if possible), speakers

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Delhi/NCR. No. Has to be from Delhi as I need it working ASAP.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:
here, I will explain. My PC just died on me (again) and I need to upgrade this 5 year old friend.
Budget is ~20k.

I have a Sapphire 8400GS (looking to upgrade it), monitor, cabinet, 5 gb of DDR2 ram.

I was thinking of saving money on RAM and mobo as they can be added later. So I want to go with a stop-gap kinda mobo with a decent gfx card (which wont need upgrade). So any decent combination would do as mobo can and will be upgraded later (after say 8-10 months). For now, I think my E6300 will do.

Ill need a good PSU this time. No compromise this time. A CM or Corsair or any other new good brand.

UPS (1 kva) would be good as I only have a 600 va one right now and even that is not working properly.

So HDD, RAM, and UPS are 3 things which I have with me but will have to buy since they are either very cheap or need replacement.

I am looking at ATI 6770.
Mind you, i dont have time for gaming these days but still would like to buy a decent card which can play new games. I do not need an absolute performer. An older generation's better performer at a less priuce would do then a new generation's costlier one)

Many thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
Sell your old stuff & try to fetch at least 3-4k except the monitor.

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i3 2100|5500
Motherboard |Intel DH67VR-B3|4500
RAM |Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-2GBXL|900
GPU |MSI R6770-MD1GD5| 6500
HDD |Seagate 500GB 7200.12|1900
DVD Writer |LG 22X SATA DVD|900
PSU |FSP Saga II 500W|2000
Case |Zebronics Bijli (w/o psu)|1000
UPS |APC 600VA|1800
Speakers |Logitech Z313|1500
| Total |26000

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i suggest this -

Component | Make | Price Processor |AMD Athlon II x4 635|4000
Motherboard |Asus M5A97|5700
RAM |G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1)|1100
Graphic Card |MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition/OC|9300
DVD Writer |LG 22X SATA DVD|900
PSU |Corsair GS600|3900
UPS |Intex 1KVA|1800
| Total |25500

by selling your old components you will surely get around 4-5k as dep mentioned.
that motherboard is amd bulldozer ready. so you can upgrade to bulldozer when it launches.
your processor will be a good bottleneck for current gen graphic cards.
and 6850 will take care of your gaming needs if you will upgrade monitor too.
also WD RMA is fast. that way you can save on HDD and go for a better psu for future needs.
which cabinet you have?

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
Thanks to you both.

I dont want to invest in a proccy + mobo right now. Investing more money in a better PSU and gfx card makes more sense to me as I anyway plan to upgrade mobo and proccy in near future when I have a decent budget for just the two of them. Buying a old mobo with 775 socket and DDR2 slots will save me money which I can invest in other items.

Mind you, i dont have time for gaming these days but still would like to buy a decent card which can play new games. I do not need an absolute performer. An older generation's better performer at a less price would do then a new generation's costlier one)
Bear in mind that this only needs to be a stop gap mobo since I plan to upgrade both proccy and mobo after some time. Will invest properly in that. So dont want to squeeze them in this tight budget.

Selling old rig is not feasible right now as:
1. Selling will take time itself. And after that buying will take time. Dont have time as I need to get it working ASAP.
2. Planning to use this as backup when this new rig will die or malfunction. I wont get anything anyway for it. SO better keep it for future use.

In short, I need things which wont be needing upgradation as per my desire like gfx card, PSU, UPS. So a mobo with 775 socket and DDR2 slot, gfx card, PSU will be best. And 1 KVA UPS.

@jaskanwar Even if WD RMA is fast I guess it will still take them atleast a month. Their pick up date is still one week away. I cant wait that long to get it working

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
then get a Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo for around 2.5k + Sapphire HD6950 1GB @ 13.2k + Corsair TX650 V2 @ 5.2k = 20.9k

*www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3505#sp
the board has 2 ddr3 slots and 2 ddr2 slots.

Cilus

laborare est orare
C2D 6300 + HD 6950..Hmm. There will be chance of huge bottleneck here and games will not run well. 2ndly the 5 GB DDR2 rams of yours..is it 2GB + 2GB +1GB configuration? Then you've to get a mobo over 3K to have 4 ram slots. The G41 mobo suggested here does not have 4 DDR2 slots.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
C2D 6300 + HD 6950..Hmm. There will be chance of huge bottleneck here and games will not run well. 2ndly the 5 GB DDR2 rams of yours..is it 2GB + 2GB +1GB configuration? Then you've to get a mobo over 3K to have 4 ram slots. The G41 mobo suggested here does not have 4 DDR2 slots.

same i said about buying a high end card but op wants to avoid spending on proccy + mobo currently.

Top Bottom