PC Upgrade - suggestions needed

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hello,

My current PC config is as follows:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard : MSI B350M GAMING PRO (MS-7A39)
RAM: Corsair DDR4 - 2400 8GB * 2
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060GB
Hard Drives: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB, Western Digital 1TB SATA
PSU - 650W coolermaster

I am on windows 10 retail and unable to upgrade to windows 11. My usage is pretty much for medium gaming (Baldurs Gate 3 etc), music production, coding and media. The current config is more than 5 years old. I would like to upgrade to keeping my usages in consideration .

Specific considerations: HDD: would like primary to be a 1TB SSD and the secondary to be a 2TB SSD. Primary will contain all working files and also my wife uses it occasionally for photoshop

Budget is not an issue though I do not want to spend enthusiastic amounts on the same.

thanks

There's a reason questionnaire exists, kindly fill it:
geek.digit.in/community/threads/asking-for-new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.149943/

I feel this R5 7600 + 4070 rig is a great 1440p gaming rig under 130k, add a 20k 1440p monitor like Acer XV272U V3:
pcpricetracker.in/b/s/1928516f-4661-4226-8121-e8a890652951

You can use your old HDD with it.

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Gaming (BG3, Saints Row, Pathfinder, King Arthur etc) , Music (Ableton), Graphics (Photoshop, Illustrator)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: around a lac

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: If needed yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 11

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB min for primary. 1/2TB for secondary

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, Keyboard, UPS, Mouse , Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP. Current system is causing issues

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes I have built before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Happy to buy online or locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am looking more for a midrange PC. As this is more of a hobby. My last purchase was 6 years ago.

Thank you for the link above. I have sent the same config to the local dealers and one has sent a quote around 1.2L. Will share when I get other quotes.

Things to look for:
  • Make sure you get B650 version of that mobo for its 3x M.2 slot
  • Don't downgrade PSU (cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/)
  • Don't take QLC SSDs, doesn't matter if its still Gen4
  • Check RAM freq & CL - I linked 6000MHz CL36
  • Check Ankit Infotech & Supercomputer at SP Road, they had competitve prices. PCStudio is Ankit Infotech's online store.

If you are fine spending 1.5L (including monitor), rig I posted earlier is surely great.

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Thanks mate. The latest quote I got is from Super Computerswhich is 1.17L. They are the only one that is taking my existing system on exchange. The earlier quote was from IT GAIN and they wont take my system on exchange. I already have a BENQ 4k monitor..

Last edited:
OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Question: Is it safe to ask them to assemble and deliver ? Or better to go buy and pick up ? Super Computers said they will put it together and deliver home. And I can pay 50% up front and 50% after delivery and my verification. How do I ensure genuine parts and not refurbished etc..

Question: Is it safe to ask them to assemble and deliver ? Or better to go buy and pick up ? Super Computers said they will put it together and deliver home. And I can pay 50% up front and 50% after delivery and my verification. How do I ensure genuine parts and not refurbished etc..
Your call. I built my PC & my friend's PC myself with parts delivered to home. I assembled my friend's PC in 2020, that look 4+ hrs. Even my PC's assembly took close to 3hrs last year.

You can always open up & check parts or for most parts just check it in software. I think you need to physically inspect only cabinet, CPU cooler, cabinet fans & PSU. CPU, GPU, RAM, mobo & storage can all be verified via software like HWinfo, HWMonitor, Crystaldiskinfo, CPUZ, etc.

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Thanks. I have been assembling PC's all my life tho it has been quite some time when I did my last one. I was planning to use something like HWMonitor and CPU-Z etc to check the components.. will see. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom