PC under 40k

denhot

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: This computer is going to be used by two user.
Majorly used for Video Editing and photo editing. And some mild gaming i.e. whatever runs runs. Software will include premier pro, light room and Photoshop. I already have a pretty decent laptop wanted this to the heavier lifting.
Other use case will be a bit of analysis work on software like Matlab/R or some trading algorithm building (this works reasonably on my measly i5-6250U with a dGPU, but mentioning it anyway)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I'm looking at something in between 35k-40k. Can go upto 45k but would not really like it.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Looking at a 1 or 2 TB HDD for now. Will add a NVMe or SATA SSD Later.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No Monitor required. Current 1920*1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Everything inlcluding PSU/Cabinet. Only have the monitor/keyboard/mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Can really wait. Completely discretionary purchase if you think it's not worth right now. time period is 3 months.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Long back been 10 years. Can still build or will get it made by someone at home.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. Can buy online/visit stores

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Do I require a GPU? If yes I would prefer an NVIDIA for CUDA (Need it occasionally for some simulation work), I assume it helps in video also. I'm confused looking at 9th gen leak of Intel but looking at them being all K parts and non-K in Q1 2019, the wait won't make sense for me. Similarly I can purchase the GPU later after 1100/2000 series is out, although I have no preference between Ryzen or Intel. Also never gonna spend more than 15k on a GPU even later. My motherboards have died on me quite a lot during the Core 2 Duo days. I don't mind paying a bit more if it will get me more than a 3 year warranty life. Really need PSU recommendations.

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD Ryzen 5 1600-12,000
MSI B350M PRO-VDH-6,700
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 8GB (1X8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHZ C16 MEMORY KIT-6,900
SEAGATE DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 1TB BARRACUDA (ST1000DM010)-2,900
ZOTAC GTX 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 Mini-13,000
CORSAIR CX450-3,400
CORSAIR 100R Black-2,800

Total 47.7

I know this is 2k over your budget but this system is ready for both video & photo editing and gaming if you go anything lower than this you have to compromise a lot of performance

OP
D

denhot

Broken In
AMD Ryzen 5 1600-12,000
MSI B350M PRO-VDH-6,700
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 8GB (1X8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHZ C16 MEMORY KIT-6,900
ZOTAC GTX 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 Mini-13,000
CORSAIR CX450-3,400
CORSAIR 100R Black-2,800

Total 47.7

I know this is 2k over your budget but this system is ready for both video & photo editing and gaming if you go anything lower than this you have to compromise a lot of performance

Thank you for the reply. Love how you packaged everything.
Few questions
Does going for a costlier motherboard give me anymore endurance? I have only gone through Asus's TUF and ROG they are nearly 3-4k costlier.
after seeing your suggestion I think I will have to invest in a graphic card for the purpose. Any advise if I want to wait for lower end 11 series or get the current gen at cheaper prices?
What is your view point for a Intel Core i5 8400 instead or R5 1600? they will have a very similar price point, but less threads. Then I can also buy a card later.

Mainly looking at this

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Thank you for the reply. Love how you packaged everything.
Few questions
Does going for a costlier motherboard give me anymore endurance? I have only gone through Asus's TUF and ROG they are nearly 3-4k costlier.
after seeing your suggestion I think I will have to invest in a graphic card for the purpose. Any advise if I want to wait for lower end 11 series or get the current gen at cheaper prices?
What is your view point for a Intel Core i5 8400 instead or R5 1600? they will have a very similar price point, but less threads. Then I can also buy a card later.

Mainly looking at this

You are welcome:)

Yes,Costlier mobo comes with better components

I don't think Nvidia will price next generation cards lower than current generation cards main reason is there are still vast amount of older generation cards in market if they price newer cards competitively then no one will buy older generation cards

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Desktop Processor-14,600
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING Motherboard-14,000
Corsair 8GB DDR4 CMK8GX4M1D3000C16-6,700
Corsair CX450-3,400
CORSAIR 100R Black-2,800

Total:44k

Last edited:
OP
D

denhot

Broken In
Thanks!
What about
Asus Rog Strix B360-F - 11.6k
Asus TUF B360 - PRO - 9.8k

Also any recommendation on motherboard brands which you would stick by, I saw you recommended MSI earlier so i'm assuming you're recommending particular boards maybe?

Also you were right founders edition RTX2070 is priced at around 51k in India, compared to 1070s at 33k. So if that is anything to go by it will take some time to get reasonably priced models. Though price drops may come but not in my budget category.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I would suggest
Asrock Z370 EXTREME4 for 13.7k

For 1080p 1060 is more than enough

Last edited:
OP
D

denhot

Broken In
Thanks! I am anyways not a very keen gamer anymore. that phase of my life is gone. Idea is if 1050ti is 13k, if 1060 drops to even 17k by year end, on 2050, 2060 launch I'll step up to it. I think CX450 will be enough for 1060 power levels right? For now sticking to i5 8400, GPU purchase later.

Take your point on higher speed ram support and I hope better power delivery with Z370 with minor price bump.

Also there are some much cheaper boards for MSI and ASrock. I don't have brand affinity except for staying away from gigabyte. So if you think anyone's better or similar quality and RMA/Service I don't mind. Any views on this?

Thanks for all the trouble really appreciate it :)

I would suggest
Asrock Z370 EXTREME4 for 13.7k

For 1080p 1060 is more than enough

When I opened this it was showing some other reply cool enough. Their warranty durability is up to the mark?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Gaming mobo doesn't mean anything they just come with RGB and better audio chip and probably a inbuilt AMP. Motherboard I originally suggested have better VRM which ensues longevity of motherboard and higher speed RAM offers better frame rates

OP
D

denhot

Broken In
Noted. I have no problem with Gaming nomenclature, Will keep Strix Z370 - Gaming in consideration. Will visit primeabgb today and see the pricing shape up.

Top Bottom