PC starts only after using hair dryer

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I had an MSI LGA 1150 board where once it didn't start at all and when I sent it to RMA to Delhi. The guys at Delhi said that due to a lightning strike the CPU Socket got damaged and they replaced the entire socket and sent it back to me. It worked flawlessly until I sold it via OLX locally.

Later I bought a Gigabyte LGA 1150 board where due to continuous rain the CPU socket got humid some how and I sent it for RMA to Bangalore. The guys at the RMA center said that if there is incessant rain, it's always better to open the cabinet and put a table fan for the humidity to get evaporated. I always kept the side panel of my cabinet opened until sold it via OLX locally.

Now I am using Asus LGA 1150 Board which has Surge Protection built into the Bios. I never faced the issues after I started using Asus Board.

PS: Now when ever there are some clouds I just remove all the cables and turn off the Wifi Router as well.

About the last two lines, if the climate is humid then can't it accumulate on the system even if it is off and harm it when you turn it on?
Also how can only the board get damaged by lightening and not any other component? I read in some other thread where a guy said during storm his lan cable messed up his board.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Humidity is simply water vapour in air,by itself it is no issue.Only when temperature forces it to change form then it becomes a problem.e.g.if there is high humidity & you put something cold in a metal glass then very soon water droplets will form on outer surface of metal glass because of condensation of water vapour in air because of low temp of steel glass.In pc also there are many metal circuits/parts & if there is a temp difference between room temp & temp inside cabinet then there are chances of condensation.However if cabinet is open then almost anything inside cabinet will be at same temp as room temp.

Damage by lightening depends on which parts take most damage & in which order.It is possible that mobo took most of the damage & cut off the connection to other devices before damage could spread thus saving other connected devices.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Humidity is simply water vapour in air,by itself it is no issue.Only when temperature forces it to change form then it becomes a problem.e.g.if there is high humidity & you put something cold in a metal glass then very soon water droplets will form on outer surface of metal glass because of condensation of water vapour in air because of low temp of steel glass.In pc also there are many metal circuits/parts & if there is a temp difference between room temp & temp inside cabinet then there are chances of condensation.However if cabinet is open then almost anything inside cabinet will be at same temp as room temp.

Damage by lightening depends on which parts take most damage & in which order.It is possible that mobo took most of the damage & cut off the connection to other devices before damage could spread thus saving other connected devices.
Thanks. Is it possible for lan cable to mess up the board during lightening?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes!e.g.many ISP give internet through lan cable coming from outside the house & if it got struck by lightening then current can directly come to your pc/router lan port.

Top Bottom