PC Not Powering Up, No Light on Motherboard Power-button

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!

sorry if this has been brought up before.
i kept my PC ON for downloads the night before, and found today that its OFF, and now it won't turn ON. no beeps, nothing. all cables are secured at their connections. the LED-light on the motherboard power-switch also doesn't light up, even after being connected to the power-source. please suggest what could be the underlying issue, and how to sort it out. i read about shorting the power-button and cleaning CMOS memory, but thought to better get suggestions from the forum instead first.

the motherboard is asus p8z68 v-pro.
psu is corsair tx850
ram is gskill ripjawsx 4gb x 2
gpu is msi gtx 580 lightning

please advise.
thanks!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
start from basic.when you turn on the power does the psu fan rotate.if no then no need to do anything else because it means psu is dead.if psu fan is rotating then check if the connected dvd drive/hard disk is working(touch the hard disk to feel rotation vibration & open/close dvd tray).also disconnect graphics card for now.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
start from basic.when you turn on the power does the psu fan rotate.if no then no need to do anything else because it means psu is dead.if psu fan is rotating then check if the connected dvd drive/hard disk is working(touch the hard disk to feel rotation vibration & open/close dvd tray).also disconnect graphics card for now.

i think the fan of tx 850 does not spin for low loads

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
thanks for the replies!! a friend suggested to reset CMOS as wel. will also check the PSU-fan and HDD and DVD-trays. but the power-switch on the motherboard also doesn't light up. even then should the DVD-drive respond?

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
thanks for the replies!! a friend suggested to reset CMOS as wel. will also check the PSU-fan and HDD and DVD-trays. but the power-switch on the motherboard also doesn't light up. even then should the DVD-drive respond?

Hi there...if the power/reset buutons on mobo dont light up after the mains is set to on (without putting the pc ON)...then the problem points to the PSU. Even when I was having problems with my mobo,the power/reset switches were always lit. Suggest you RMA the psu.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!!

am very, VERY sorry to have bothered you all! i had glanced over this page y'day, but then didn't pay much heed to it at that time, in preparation for retiring to the bed. had a little tough time finding this page again, but when i found it again now, read a little, and the problem was solved in a second! it was - the power-switch on the back of the PSU was OFF! :facepalm:
this thing never occured to me. infact, the switch wasn't existent in my memory itself! anyway, let this be a lesson for other neophytes too, to first do a good external inspection in such cases. BTW, how could it've turned to the OFF position? a trip?

@ Mukherjee - thanks doctor saab! :D
seeing your after a really long time. :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Hello everyone!!

am very, VERY sorry to have bothered you all! i had glanced over this page y'day, but then didn't pay much heed to it at that time, in preparation for retiring to the bed. had a little tough time finding this page again, but when i found it again now, read a little, and the problem was solved in a second! it was - the power-switch on the back of the PSU was OFF! :facepalm:
this thing never occured to me. infact, the switch wasn't existent in my memory itself! anyway, let this be a lesson for other neophytes too, to first do a good external inspection in such cases. BTW, how could it've turned to the OFF position? a trip?

@ Mukherjee - thanks doctor saab! :D
seeing your after a really long time. :)

how ??

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hehe. yes. can't fathom the reason. 'ghost in the machine'!! :D

someone, or most probably, i myself, must've hit it accidentally while moving the cabinet. infact, while typing this, am getting a faint, a really faint recollection of hearing a clicking-sound while moving the cabinet, but this was surely while i was inspecting the issue; so some other event must've triggered the shutdown. :confused:

hah! never mind! there must've been some reason behind it. but now its up and working again is what matters more!! :beer:

Top Bottom