PC gets too slow when copying files from DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello everyone,

My PC gets too slow when I copy files from my DVD to PC. My machine specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon64 3500+
Biostar Mobo
1GB Ram
SONY DRU-820A Dual layer DVD writer
XFX 7600GS

Nowadays I use a program called Teracopy. Before, I used Windows default copy mechanism. Most of the times it got my PC to crawl. Teracopy is somewhat better. But still I can't do any other operations while copying. If I try to run any other process, the process runs too slow.

I there any way I can improve my PC performance?

slugger

Banned
is ur HDD a SATA or PATA

if it is a PATA den is der any HDD on the IDE cable dat is connceted to the DVD drive

if there is, then disconnct the HDD and attach it to the other IDE channel [if ur mobo has 1] try to keep the DVD IDE cable free of any HDD

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
DMA DMA DMA! (assuming its IDE drive, which majority are)

Goto Device Manager > IDE controllers > Open properties page of the controller which DVDRW is connected to > Advanced (If you dunno which controller then open both).

Look for any "PIO Only" and change it to UDMA, restart.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
After you have done as infra_red_dude has suggested, do check if both are on the same IDE cable (that is if both drives are IDE). Many assemblers "eat" the other cable and provide you only with one, these are later sold to other people as spares. Seen it happen all too often.
When you buy hardware make sure you get all the contents (cables, manuals, cds) as specified in the manual or on the box.

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:
OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
@slugger, It's a Seagte 250GB sata2 HDD....

@infra_red_dude, when I opened IDE controllers tab, I saw Primary IDE channel & Secondary IDE channel. Primary channel is already using Ultra DMA mode 2. For secondary channel, under current transfer mode, it's showing NOT APPLICABLE.

It looks like DMA is enabled for the DVDRW drive, since I can burn a DVD under 4X setting in just 14 minutes.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Primary channel is already using Ultra DMA mode 2. For secondary channel, under current transfer mode, it's showing NOT APPLICABLE.
Oops! Lotsa probs! Primary channel - HDD has to be at least UDMA5 (its been 4 years now that this technology is out!).

Secondly since you can't see anything under secondary channel it means both the hdd and optical drive are connected to the primary channel. Get another IDE cable and connect the dvd drive to the secondary channel.

slugger

Banned
Secondly since you can't see anything under secondary channel it means both the hdd and optical drive are connected to the primary channel. Get another IDE cable and connect the dvd drive to the secondary channel.

not true buddy :)

h said his HDD is a SATA :)

so assumin his optical drive is a PATA wud he not need only 1 IDE cable, sine he wud have a diff cable for the SATA

[this is assumin that he has correctly idd his HDD as a SATA]

and his DVD drive runnin at UDMA 2 tho a lil' strange may not b a fault actually
my HDDs r runnin @UDMA 5 but my DVD writer [liteon] runs only at UDMA 4

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
As of now i think he needs to replace the current IDE cable with a 80 conductor one for UDMA5. But me thinks the problem lies elsewhere.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
or your Anti-Virus s/w is scanning those files in background, if you're copying .rar (compressed ) files, this happens.

try disabling that AV.
btw what content are you copying? if they are from reliable source, then only disable the AV s/w.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Nowadays I use a program called Teracopy. Before, I used Windows default copy mechanism. Most of the times it got my PC to crawl. Teracopy is somewhat better. But still I can't do any other operations while copying. If I try to run any other process, the process runs too slow.

Hmmm, teracopy uses some techniques like buffering to increase the copying speed so expect your HDD to perform at like 99%, so anything else during copying will affect access time and slow down both the processes.

So i think its normal, after all your config and cables seem to be in proper place.

slugger

Banned
Hmmm, teracopy uses some techniques like buffering to increase the copying speed so expect your HDD to perform at like 99%, so anything else during copying will affect access time and slow down both the processes.

So i think its normal, after all your config and cables seem to be in proper place.

but acc to him his computer used to be even slower when not usin Teracopy

Teracopy actually improved things a bit 4 him

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
but acc to him his computer used to be even slower when not usin Teracopy

Teracopy actually improved things a bit 4 him

Then most prolly his Biostar mobo sucs :D

@op
Might be a PSU problem. Try reinstalling windows.

One more thing, do you get audio stuttering during copying

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
how wud re-installin Windows solve a PSU problem? :confused:

PSUs r not monitored by the OS

i dont think the problem relates to a PSU to bein with

:D I meant the problem cud be both with PSU or windows(virus affected mebbe). So told him to try both one at a time. :p

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
or your Anti-Virus s/w is scanning those files in background, if you're copying .rar (compressed ) files, this happens.

try disabling that AV.
btw what content are you copying? if they are from reliable source, then only disable the AV s/w.
Hmmm...Never thought of that...Will give this a try....

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes it's because of the antivirus....I'm using Kaspersky AV. When I opened AV, I saw that it was scanning all the files being copied real-time.

Does anybody know how to disable this feature? I tried playing with various options. Still wasn't able to disable that feature.

utsav

damn busy...
@slugger udma2 is sufficient for dvd writers and only some of the new drives come with udma 3 and udma 4 support which is not that necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom