PC Config b/w 15-20k?

shantam2005

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Browsing, Movies, Rarely Gaming(Games like GTA IV, DotA), Document Editing.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yes, surely

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:20k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: If safe, then yes.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:Dell IN1930 at 1366x768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:No, will be done by an assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:By August End

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Yes, should work for atleast 5 years

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:Screen, UPS(I have APC BP500IN), Speakers.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Kullu, will be buying either online or from Chandigarh or Delhi

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, even spending 100K, you can't tell that your system will be future proof for 5 years. What we can do is to create a rig which is open accept to upcoming technologies so that you can do some small upgrades on it periodically to keep it up to date.
Now at a budget of 20K, AMD is the viable and best solution. Here is my suggestion for you:-

AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 4K
Gigabyte GA880G-USB3 @ 4.8K
Corsair 1333 MHz DDR3 4 GB stick @ 1.35K
Seagate 7200.12 500 GB @ 1.8K
Zebronics Bijli Cabinet w/o SMPS @ 1K
FSP SAGA II 500W @ 2.1K
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse Bundle @ 0.5K
LG 22X SATA DVD Writer @ 0.8K
Sapphire HD 5670 512 MB GDDR5 @ 4.2K

I have suggested a motherboard which is little costlier and 880 based mobos are available at within 3.5K to 4K. The reason being is the mobo's out of the box support for upcoming AMD Bulldozer CPU as it is a AM3+ ready board. So next time of upgrade only the CPU can be upgraded to a Bulldozer processor rather than CPU+Mobo change.

Total 20.55K

Last edited:
OP
S

shantam2005

Broken In
I liked the config given by Cilius but one of my friends suggested that I should go with Phenom II X4 955 BE. I would like to know whether the extra 1.5k is worth it?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Yes, Performance of Phenom II X4 955 definitely justifies the extra 1.5K. It has extra 6 MB L3 cache which improves games as well as in applications.

Other advantage is 955 is a Black edition processor, it can be overclocked very easily by just increasing the CPU multiplier.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Yes, Performance of Phenom II X4 955 definitely justifies the extra 1.5K. It has extra 6 MB L3 cache which improves games as well as in applications.

Other advantage is 955 is a Black edition processor, it can be overclocked very easily by just increasing the CPU multiplier.

So, shantam2005, if you can spend extra 1.5k money it is definitely worthy to go for Phenom II X4 955. :)

OP
S

shantam2005

Broken In
OK, then I am going with the Phenom Black Edition. One last question, Will my 500 VA UPS be able to handle this rig or will I have to go for a new one?

Cilus

laborare est orare
You sill surely get enough time to shut down the PC after saving the game you are playing.

Top Bottom