PC Buying Guide - July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yes even i support sorcerer on this. At a budget of 15k for the gpu, a 6950 or factory overclocked 560 is more than enough for fullhd gaming. There should be room (2nd slot) to fit in a second card when games become more demanding and when actually the user needs a second card. There is no point in jumping guns straight away onto a sli or cfx config right from the start.

But i even agree that jaskanwar's configs are pretty good. They offer lots of options for buyers to decide their required setup and i guess there is a config posted for every budget.

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
To add one more point: Judge the performance funda with power consumption at the same time and also keep in mind the series of cards that release within 6 months time and recommended specs for best selling games. You're not only spending money for the card, but also power. True, some people don't play for about 2-4 hours on a daily basis but power consumption on both idle and load is something one has to keep in mind before. Besides, there are those who play for a really long time on a daily basis.

what I feel is actually doesn't make any sense. We are not taking any lesson here to find our mistakes by ourselves for the greater good in life.
Looking through my point of view sort of make sense. No, not that I am boosting my self ego or anything but think about it.

Out of few months that I've been here, I've explained people by literally typing out huge paragraphs of explanations, enough to give some idea. Unfortunately, many don't read and out of those people, many of them advice blindly with half/outdated knowledge they posses. Remember, its not just TDF that I am talking about (and lets be realistic- most of us are in TE, TDF, Erodov, IVG and do the same old thing).

Then comes my another approach to make people understand properly (I personally nicknamed the mindfrack approach :D). Jaskanwar knows it: back in the days not-too-long ago about the 4+1 phase days. My post made a lot of people force to do their own research and that was the only time when learnt the difference between inductors, phase, ICs,driver ICs and all that. Sorry to say, but yeah people around the Indian tech forums need to be pushed to do their own research so that they can understand properly.

JM2C. If people are offended by the choice of words, dont be. There's always a reason for the things/comments I put up ;).

Piyush

Lanaya
@all

yes, sorcerer is right
i mean one should not play with his all cards face up right from the start i.e. going for Xfie/SLI even when one card was enough
we should go for multi gpu setups when the need arise
and the place like india...it almost hot and humid at all parts except N and NE

we should always go on the basis of
-->performance/watt
-->performance/price

Cilus

laborare est orare
Sorceror, now the thing is most of the games can live their knowledge without any IC, inductor, capacitor or phase. level knowledge of computer but still having a very good gaming rig and maintaining it properly. I know you are a hardware reviewer by profession and you have a great deal of knowledge about it and probably your knowledge is higher than most of the people over here but don't get me wrong, they actually don't need to know that much to play games or owing a high end config.

I used to read most of your posts regarding 4+1 pin phase designs but find out you used to say "This mobo is bad" with you mindfrack apporch and after a lot of rearch I did not find out anywhere that the mobo is bad conclusion.
If I remember clearly, you've said that MSI 890GXM-G65 is avery bad board because of its 4+1 phase design and cannot be used for Overclocking. I have done some research on it and find out it is highly recommended in every major tech review sites like Anandtech, guru3d, Tomshardware, Oberclockersclub etc.
Now I'm using it and able to Overclock 1090T to 3.6 Ghz in stock cooler without any issue. It also handles my Crossfire setting very well. Now please don't tell me that all these sites are very bad and take money from MSI to post good review about their product.

And again, It is a PC building guide, we are not suggesting any one to spend 100K on a computer or force him to go for multiGPU setting. We are giving him all kind of options to go with. Now it is up to him.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes that msi board is a very good one and worth recommending to anyone going for a amd based crossfire setup.

To add one more point: Judge the performance funda with power consumption at the same time and also keep in mind the series of cards that release within 6 months time and recommended specs for best selling games. You're not only spending money for the card, but also power. True, some people don't play for about 2-4 hours on a daily basis but power consumption on both idle and load is something one has to keep in mind before. Besides, there are those who play for a really long time on a daily basis.

Power consumption is again a relative term. Performance /watt is what to be seen. Newer generation cards are getting lower and lower in power consumptions due to several optimization in fabrication. So idle power consumption won't be a factor. Talk about power consumption at full load, it has to be judged by looking at the competitor card at the same price point for a better relative comparison.

You cannot compare a 6850 with a ....lets say a gtx 560 at a budget upto 15k. A performance user will select the 560 although it consumes a lot more power at full load. So relatively 560 is the choice here although 6850 has much lower power consumption.

But again in this scenario, if a 6950 drops in, then it might take away the attention cause it consumes lower power than 560 and gives equal or more performance than a stock 560. So here power consumption favors the 6950 and we decide this relatively again.

Heat is another factor because higher temps affect the longevity of a card. So that must also be a factor apart from power consumption.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another question comes in mind: how a normal user is going to measure power consumption or noise? So whereas temperature is something we can measure easily, IMO both power consumption and noise are pretty relative matters, something you can only see at review sites.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^To some extent. Actually its not quite in your face like the temp readings. And even then you can hardly judge the amount consumed by GFX card from the bill. I mean, AC/heater, always on PC, TV etc., how you are going to know which one is contributing how much? ;)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
There should be an "Enthusiast" sub 2L (system only-no monitor, spkrs etc)segment also.

99% cant buy it ofc :p

Viswanathan

Journeyman
Excellent guide Thanks.. btw MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC is priced 13,500 in SMC!!
Link :- ( MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC ).. I hope i am referring to the right product.. If its a different product i am mentioning i am extremely sorry...
Happy Upgrading guys! :)

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
what you guys have to say on this -

Sub 130k (Ultra High End Gaming)

Component | Make | Price Processor | Intel Core i7 2600k | 16500
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | 3800
Motherboard | ASUS P8P67 Pro | 11500
RAM | G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | 5700
Graphic Card | MSI GTX580 Lightening | 30000
Sound Card | ASUS Xonar DX | 4200
HDD | Seagate 1TB 7200.12 | 2700
DVD Writer | LG 22X SATA DVD | 900
PSU | Corsair AX-1200 | 16000
Case | Coolermaster HAF 932 | 8500
Monitor | Samsung PX2370 | 14000
Mouse | Razer Imperator | 3000
Keyboard | Logitech G110 | 3000
Mouse Pad |Steel Series 4HD|1500
UPS | Numeric 1KVA | 4000
Speakers | Logitech Z-506 | 5000
| Total |130300

Optional upgrades for 130k -
Component | Make | Price Headset | Roccat Kave | 5000
SSD | Corsair Fore 120GB | 12800

ax-1200w for sli futureproofing!

Excellent guide Thanks.. btw MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC is priced 13,500 in SMC!!
Link :- ( MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC ).. I hope i am referring to the right product.. If its a different product i am mentioning i am extremely sorry...
Happy Upgrading guys! :)

ultimate deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ jaskanwar

I have to praise you for your efforts buddy :smile:. The above config is excellent and offers great future upgradeability. Particularly the ax 1200 is worth mentioning. Its clearly one of the most powerful psu's in the world out there.

One suggestion though.We can give some dual cards as options. Gtx 590 is 42k and 6990 is 48k. What say ?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
meh,for that much i'd rather get two 560 Ti's in SLI.

The rest is just brilliant tho ;)

Also,an MSI rep told me that the GTX 580 Lightning (not "Lightening" btw) will officially cost 27500+ tax.

naresh thinkdigit

Right off the assembly line
i want some pc buying help
but i am new to this site
i am not able to fine which link i should go to find help i write about it
anyone please help

d3p

PowerHouse
@Naresh: Welcome to TDF bro.

If you wish to buy some & need suggestion then refer the below threads.

Thread Starting Tips: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/132775-read-first-thread-starting-tips.html

PC Build Questionaire Template: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html

Post if any problem persists.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@ jas WOW! Ultimate config man! :doublethumb:

@ jaskanwar

I have to praise you for your efforts buddy :smile:. The above config is excellent and offers great future upgradeability. Particularly the ax 1200 is worth mentioning. Its clearly one of the most powerful psu's in the world out there.

One suggestion though.We can give some dual cards as options. Gtx 590 is 42k and 6990 is 48k. What say ?

thanks batman:)
i will add dual gpu cards in higher budgets. preferably if we add multi monitor setups. because for full hd its overkill. big one.

but do we need anything more than 130k?

meh,for that much i'd rather get two 560 Ti's in SLI.

The rest is just brilliant tho ;)

Also,an MSI rep told me that the GTX 580 Lightning (not "Lightening" btw) will officially cost 27500+ tax.

that config is made for 580 sli futureproofing.

and thanks for price. much needed.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys this may be off topic, but what are the differences between these two types of fan mounts:-

*i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKiME12+CulP4BNqTt(6w7!~~_1.JPG

*i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqUOKpYE1q-M4HInBNqUHZjinw~~_1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom