PC Buying Guide 2011- Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle06

Los7 Cau53
Sorry if this is a repeated question. Why did the HDD prices increased drastically...? they are cheap 4 months back when I bought my PC..

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Sorry if this is a repeated question. Why did the HDD prices increased drastically...? they are cheap 4 months back when I bought my PC..
Floods in Thailand. Many production units of Seagate & WD were there and are now not working.

tkin

Back to school!!
tkin - hey dude.. how r u?? :) This is Anant from Indore.. we met at Asus meet in bombay.. :)

and supposedly physx is also capable of running on cpu.. :p earlier i also thought it was on nvidia cards only... :p

Skud - Experimentation is highly promoted sir!! :D :)
went thru that link almost a year back dudeeeeeeeeee...
Hey dude, nice to see you in TDF, how's the OC going?

PhysX can run on CPU much faster than on any nVidia card, specially with AVX, but nVidia won't allow it, its their proprietary API.

No, you can't run "PhysX" properly. Physics you can. :p

here's what nVideahh does. Decides to use X87 for PhysX on GPU. CPU makers phased X87 out in favour of SSE 12 years ago. So, CPUs obviously run X87 code slow (+ nVidia forced to only run off a single core) and nVideahhh claims "OMFG OUR GPU PHYSICS I.E. NVIDEAHHH PHYSX RUNS SO PHASHHT ON OVAR CUDA ACCELERATED GHEE-PEE-YOUS :cool:" :mrgreen:

Then with PhysX SDK 3.0 (this year), they start supporting CPUs (+ multiple cores). Guess what, they use SSE instructions for running "PhysX" code on CPU. Why not use X87 again? :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Battlefield 3's physics pwns pretty much everything without these marketing gimmicks.

I don't give two sh!ts about what non-sense the marketing of these companies says. As someone who prefers real standards over propreitary sh1te, I'd say let sense prevail over idiocity.
Does BF3 use Havok? Cause BF3 physics were nice but nothing comes even close to matching Havok(from Red Faction Armageddon), intel havok will pretty much blow everything away(incl. that bulletphysics everyone's so hyped up about).

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ I think you know so much about Computer engineering that you don't need to study any more.
It looks like Anant has forgotten me...no answer to my post. I think you're the one who discovered a great but cheaper source of Liquid Nitrogen.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Hey dude, nice to see you in TDF, how's the OC going?

PhysX can run on CPU much faster than on any nVidia card, specially with AVX, but nVidia won't allow it, its their proprietary API.

Does BF3 use Havok? Cause BF3 physics were nice but nothing comes even close to matching Havok(from Red Faction Armageddon), intel havok will pretty much blow everything away(incl. that bulletphysics everyone's so hyped up about).

Nope BF3 doesn't use havok physics toolset. They have their own proprietary physics engine termed destruction 3.0 which ofcourse runs in cpu and comes integrated with frostbite 2 primary engine.

If you want to appreciate havok then play uncharted series in ps3. Mindblowing physics effects and you've got to see it to believe it. Uncharted 2 among thieves and uncharted 3 drake's deception has the best use of havok. Both are truly cinematic games and the former was the unanimous game of the year in maximum review sites.

Drake's deception has incredible particle physics effect seen in desert environments. Nvidia's apex physx toolset is very similar to havok used in uncharted & the former is used in batman arkham city.

MODS & ADMINS -PLEASE SPARE THIS OFF-TOPIC POST.

Last edited:

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
tkin - hee hee... Best of luck dude!!! :)

@Anant, buddy how are you? Remember we also met over the Asus meet-up.
Cilus - did NOT see that... was half asleep already last night while posting... :p
I rmr all u guys but with ur real names not aliases... :(
im fine by the way.. howre u?? :)

@Cilus - although i have a feeling ur suryasis - is that right?? :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blame the economic situation, no one's interested in buying a PC atm, I guess. ;)

Anyway, can anyone point me to any BD review with CFX?

BTW, if anybody's is thinking the unthinkable and actually planning to get a "high-end" BD, they can't get a better mobo than this at this price:-

Theitdepot - Asus Sabertooth 990FX 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard

Price is only 11390, and you get all the goodness of 990fx chipset.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Ive been looking for Arctic Silver Ceramique for a looooooooooong time do u know if its available anywhere????

In which city do you reside? If its kolkata, then I think I saw some arctic products at MD computers 3 weeks ago. Don't know anything about any exact model though.

Cilus

laborare est orare
tkin - hee hee... Best of luck dude!!! :)

@Anant, buddy how are you? Remember we also met over the Asus meet-up.
Cilus - did NOT see that... was half asleep already last night while posting... :p
I rmr all u guys but with ur real names not aliases... :(
im fine by the way.. howre u?? :)

@Cilus - although i have a feeling ur suryasis - is that right?? :)

Yes buddy, you're correct, I'm Suryasis.

The price of Saber-tooth 990FX is below 12K.....I must be dreaming. I have purchased it at 14K including taxes and in most of the online shops it is still over 13K. It may be a mistake. I have a strong feeling that it is the 990X version.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was over 12k last week, and there's no Sabertooth model for 990X, only 1 model as per Asus website: M5A99X EVO. ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blame the economic situation, no one's interested in buying a PC atm, I guess. ;)

Anyway, can anyone point me to any BD review with CFX?

BTW, if anybody's is thinking the unthinkable and actually planning to get a "high-end" BD, they can't get a better mobo than this at this price:-

Theitdepot - Asus Sabertooth 990FX 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard

Price is only 11390, and you get all the goodness of 990fx chipset.

I don't think that's correct - when you go to market you will see many are still buying pcs - if one needs a pc really then he have to get it no matter what ;-)

BTW, Great Find there on Asus 990FX Sabertooth - the price is just awesome but only IF we can get a BullDozer 8120 around ~10k ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that's correct - when you go to market you will see many are still buying pcs - if one needs a pc really then he have to get it no matter what ;-)

Just joking. ;)

BTW, Great Find there on Asus 990FX Sabertooth - the price is just awesome but only IF we can get a BullDozer 8120 around ~10k ;-)

Thanks. Both 8120 & 8150 should be around 2k less than their current price. But then if the Windows 7 scheduler update comes out and if it brings out the projected 10% performance improvement (just assuming), then these won't be bad for their price. Read here:-

HARDOCP - 10 Questions for AMD's Bulldozer - HardOCP Readers Ask AMD Bulldozer Questions

6. It has been stated that Bulldozer will see improvements in performance with the Windows 8 scheduler. Would you elaborate?

Gabe Gravning, Senior Product Marketing Manager, AMD - We worked with Microsoft to improve the way threads are scheduled with the "Bulldozer" architecture in Windows 8®. In Windows 7, workloads are simply executed sequentially across the cores. The Windows 8 scheduler is optimized for the "Bulldozer" architecture and will distribute the workload across each core pair first and then each core resulting in better threaded performance.

For example, in testing by AMD with the AMD FX-8150, we are seeing up to 10% uplift on a number of games with the Windows 8 Developer Preview compared to Windows® 7. Of course, results do vary.

We are also working with Microsoft on a scheduler update for Windows 7 that will be available soon.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, at this moment BD is highly unpredictable and definitely not recommended on the basis of future enhancements.

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
Have a look at this, this is BD FX 8150 with Crossfire Scaling & gaming Performance :D

AMD’s FX-8150 and CrossFire Scaling – Bulldozer Part 2, the Conclusion | AlienBabelTech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom