PC Backup & Restore

Ammy

Right off the assembly line
Hello Tech People,

I have seen the Backup Restore CD from Siemens (For Automation Industrial PC)
in that while Restoring the Backup it will ask for the All the Setting which is Done when configuring the Machine Like PC name, Password & Network Setting, they have used the Norton Ghost Software. :-o

I want to know How to do this using the Norton Ghost Software or any other Software, as I am not a good in the Software,:|

meetdilip

Computer Addict
You can use EaseUS ToDo backup, Macrium Reflect etc to get a boot CD for backup. Or install and use directly. Not sure about Norton Ghost.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is a customized software using windows sysprep utility.as far as i know all personal/home use backup softwares create a system image of drive/hard disk & during restore copies back the image.there is no option to set settings because then it will no longer be an exact image of the original drive/hard disk.
Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - How to use Sysprep with Ghost
Configuring Ghost 7.5 or 8.x to run Sysprep
Symantec Ghost 7.5 and later can run Sysprep for you. If you created more than one Sysprep configuration, you can specify which configuration to use in the Ghost Image Dump Task.
if you are a home user then using sysprep is not worth the hassle.sysprep is generally recommended only for corporate/multiple machines environment.

OP
A

Ammy

Right off the assembly line
Hello whitestar_999,

you have told me what I am looking for, But can I Get the Steps How to Do this in Norton Or any other Software,

Actually I want for the Automation Project, we have same configuration No of PC & I want to make only 1 Backup CD so I will just used for all PC.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the link i posted earlier has instructions needed for using sysprep with norton.you have to 1st learn how to use sysprep utility to create file which fill prompt user for various options.microsoft links for this are there in that link too.once you made the customized file you can integrate it with norton ghost.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I want to know How to do this using the Norton Ghost Software or any other Software, as I am not a good in the Software,:|

Norton ghost or any other software makes an image copy of your selected drive which u can burn to 1 or 2 DVDs.& for restore just boot it from the DVD all things will be restored even windows server edition has this inbuilt feature :)

the steps to do is plain & simple :|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@zangetsu,op needs to input information like pc-name,password,lan settings etc when restoring image.for example in a small office with 4-5 similar hardware systems but different settings like password,lan settings,pc-name etc you make just 1 image & when restoring image you are asked to enter pc-name,password,lan settings etc for each pc.this is different from using simple image restore which is mainly for home/personal use.in corporate/multiple systems environment this system is used which needs microsoft sysprep utility.

Top Bottom