Partition magic on brand new hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkeng

Broken In
i have used partition magic for dos to make partitions on my new hard disk(160GB). while i intend to do the same on my friend system his system assembler told me that its not advisable to use disk manager or paritition magic or any other except the fdisk.

if its so, why microsoft hasnt updated it further?
for few Megabytes to GB its ok. But for disks of high capacity it gonna take ages to complete.

geek_rohit

In the zone
No it isn't so. Apart from FDISK, you can use Norton Partition Magic or any other disk management utility on the disk. If the disk isn't brand new, and has been in use, and if you are sure that no bad sectors are there then you can use the quick format option, it will be very fast.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
If its a new disk, use Fdisk. I cant explain it but it seems a lot more safer and more prudent to use the disk partitioning tool that comes along the the OS. Use these third party tools only if you want to repartition a hard disk with data on it. Yes, it will take ages using the native tool, but its better. And lije geek_rohit said, if the disk has been in use, go ahead and feel free to use the quick format option.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm.. With Seagate disks, I used their DM which partitions and format the disk very fast .. And is free .. same is true for Samsung disks .. FDisk takes hell lotta time to create the partitions and then Format waste another .. Thats why I prefer DM ..

Seagate Disk Manager ..
Samsung Disk Manager

swatkat

Technomancer
There's one little tool called Ranish Partition Manager, it's very powerful and has support for a number of file systems. Size of the tool is of the order of 170kB.
You can use it to partition.

jay4u

In the zone
I think the assembler of ur friend is acting smart. :twisted: Assemblers purposely ask use to not use partition tools, tweaking tools, performance boosing tolls and say that it will be harmful for the system. But believe me the sole reason for that is if by chance you mess up (crash the OS) with the system, he is the one who has to come to repair it, as it is under onsite warranty.

It ur friend's onsite warranty is over, then i think the assembler is a real dumb guy to say that. The only problem with partitioning softwares is that, you have to do it carefully and resizing partitions are very time consuming. U can use s/w like PArtition magic, Acronis Partition Expert, Ranish PArtition manager etc. which r very good ones.

While formating a new hard disk..... u can create the primary partiton while installin Windows Xp itself. Once install, go to Disk manager and create the rest partitions. Use quick format.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Ranish is a very nice peice of utility..I really like it . . But I may warn its not for novice users ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom