ORKUT: Now Restrict ppl from Posting in your Scrapbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys

I just noticed that now you can restrict who is allowed to write in your scrapbook. There is a new option " allow scraps to be written by:" in "Settings -> Privacy". Where you can select from:

Everyone
Friends
Friends of friends

Its a good move of Orkut.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Nice move certainly. But i block the people i do not want scraps from. These options either shut you down to your friends or make you open to the whole world.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
The problem is not whom to give "write access" to the scrapbook .. The issue is about whom to give "read access" to scrapbook and pics ...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The point being many people are still not aware that these social networking sites may pose heavy privacy issues somewhere down the line.Albeit being time & again being warned about not posting personal information out on the website people still tend to do so.The feature incorporated is a nice thing but will only block those posts from unwanted users.

But like batty truly pointed out,the major concern is the read access to their information posted.Many people are still clueless about the same & become victims of online & offline abuse.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Thanks vishal.
If anyone cares about 'reading scraps' privacy issue, then they CAN empty their scrapbooks. as simple as that. I am doing it.
Its the way we use that decides privacy. You can take precautions.

You can't blame anyone for our own negligence of privacy. It's upto the user to know what to post in someone else's scarp book and what info to delete from your own scrap book. Unless users take this active decision and moderate the scrap books themselves, it will always be a privacy issue. Besides, why would you want everyone else to see the secret things you tell you friends? That is what private messages are for. Scrap book is not where you make a private chat!

pushkaraj

In the zone
indian_samosa said:
If you take out the read access then orkut will not remain what it has become today ..
^^^+1

blueshift said:
If anyone cares about 'reading scraps' privacy issue, then they CAN empty their scrapbooks. as simple as that. I am doing it.
Its the way we use that decides privacy. You can take precautions.
Completely agree. Orkut is not a place to discuss anything that, according to one, is personal. There r always chat clients,etc. for the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom