Oracle JAVA Course vs C#+ASP+SQL Course @NIIT

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hahah yeah true, I doubt they would know anything about that cuz I was just going through the Official Sun Microsystems JAVA tutorial and my teacher was teaching us DIRECTLY from that.
But that still doesnt answer my question! :(
Along with JAVA at the NIIT institute, what else should I learn at home? C,C++ OR Python?(and since Im interested in HTML/CSS too should I learn that too or will it be too much to learn 3 languages at once?)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
No don't learn 3 at once. Start with Python. May be start with How to Think Like a Computer Scientist — How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python 2nd Edition documentation

Then you can go for C / C++ if you are interested in Application Programming, otherwise you may directly go for HTML / CSS from W3Schools if you are interested in Web Programming.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
:sad: :sad:
Ok so can someone tell me more about the OpenCourseWare?
Are the lecture notes in PDFs all I get?
Or are there any Video Lectures too?
Can someone tell me how should I go about with them?

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Ok so sorry for bringing back an ollllld thread but I had a similar question so I thought Id ask you here.

So my teacher is offering a course of Oracle 10g where Module 1 will cost me 7000 Rupees and Module 2 will be free as a part of a Scholarship. The original price of both Modules is 12000
Im planning to go abroad(Canada) for my Bachelors in Computer Sc. and SHE said it might really help me get a half decent part time job and this course is really help full. I will get a Regular NIIT Certificate if I clear the test and a Oracle one too if I clear Oracle's test!

But the problem is that I dont know if its worth the money Ill spend as the teachers here arent that great either. Okayish.
The course details are here;
Module 1;
Oracle 10g: Introduction to SQL

Introduction:
Oracle Database 10g is Oracle’s revolutionary new grid offering for database administrators, which include breakthrough self-management, storage management, and clustering features. It is designed to relieve system administrators from repetitive, low-value administrative work and provide them with an opportunity to increase their value and expand their technical skills. Oracle database is generally implemented in large-scale organization managing voluminous amount of data and users.

Duration: 48 hours

Program Contents:

Identify the major structural components of Oracle Database 10g
Retrieve row and column data from tables with the SELECT statement
Create reports of sorted, restricted and aggregated data
Run data manipulation language (DML) statements to update data in Oracle Database 10g
Obtain metadata by querying the dictionary views

Pre Requisites:

The students should have: Knowledge of SQL, equivalent to Oracle 10g: Introduction to SQL module

Exit Profile:

Learner will be able to apply key concepts of relational databases and SQL Programming Language

Global Certification Mapped:

Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert

Module 2;
Oracle Database 10g: PL/SQL Fundamentals

Introduction:
Oracle Database 10g is Oracle’s revolutionary new grid offering for database administrators, which include breakthrough self-management, storage management, and clustering features. It is designed to relieve system administrators from repetitive, low-value administrative work and provide them with an opportunity to increase their value and expand their technical skills.
Oracle database is generally implemented in large-scale organization managing voluminous amount of data and users.

Duration: 18 hours

Program Contents:

Use PL/SQL programming constructs and conditional control statements
Write PL/SQL code to interface with the database
Design PL/SQL program units that execute efficiently
Handle run-time errors
Describe stored procedures and functions

Pre Requisites:

The student should have knowledge of SQL equivalent to:- Oracle Database 10g : Introduction to SQL

Exit Profile:

Learner will be able to design PL/SQL program units to interface with the database

Now I have to make the decision before tomorrow 5 PM so PLEASE let me know your opinion ASAP!
Thankyou! :)

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yes Oracle Certifications have great value and you can get DBA Jobs easily with the certifications bagged in :)

Though you can prefer to learn the SQL and PL / SQL yourself from internet, and I don't see much of DBA Syllabus there. Ask them about Oracle DBA Certifications, but for that the above are the pre-requisites.

So if you can afford you can go for the course, else learn yourself and go for Oracle DBA Certifications.

But I'd say makeup your mind, SCJP and Oracle DBA are two different path. So choose your path accordingly.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Ah, I see.
But Im thinking I already have too much at my hand. I just started with my JAVA Advanced course and the final NIIT Test is in November. I started learning HTML+CSS at home too and planned to start with Python.
So to be clear if I do these courses, by itself there is no Oracle Certification I can give an exam for?
I also planned to do other stuff before I left for Canada in December(2nd-3rd week) so Im not sure if Ill have enough time to prepare for the NIIT exams of each course. (Non tech related extra curricular activities, and giving my SAT exam)

Still confused and I gotta register before 6 PM today so please help!
Do you think it would be wise to take this course side by side of a JAVA course?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
See, Global Certifications never fail :D So if you really want to do it, and if you think you can cope up all the courses side by side and have money to spare go for it.

And regarding Global Certifications, all Entry Level Certifications can be given with any coaching classes. But then it's at your risk, if you fail you have no one to blame :p

And if you are really interested, go for it. You won't regret.

Top Bottom