Operating System On PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Hi all..

i have recently biought ps3.. and found a option in menu to install other os..
is here a way to install os ?? if soo.. can anyone xplain..

ihave ubuntu cd..

and also vista...

shashank_re

In the zone
You can install Fedora 5 in it.I think you can even install Ubuntu.Just google it.You will find 1000s of links.
But you need a USB keyboard as well as USB mouse to install/Use linux in Ps3!

Have a look at it.Ubuntu 7.10 on PS3!!!
*news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-7-10-on-PS3-73272.shtml

Last edited:
OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
i have ubuntu cd 7.10... is thaat enough and just tell .. will it be just like a linux on pc ??? can i install vlc, opera, etc???

is there a way to install vista???

can any one help.. if soo i can play even pc games .. hi hi :-D

shashank_re

In the zone
No dude you can install only Linux.It is same as that runs on PC.No diff so you can install all those opera,FF.Open Office etc!

BTW Which speakers have you connected to your PS3?

Last edited:
OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
straight to pc..
only optical audio out is there ... have to think about it..

coz my philips 5.1 does nt have slot/port to support it..

canwe install VLC, other stuff then ???
wht about games... emulator+pc games ... can we play???
will it support???

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Everything :) Just like your PC. You will just need a keyboard and a mouse, it becomes your comp! There wre some issues in the past regarding resolution but I guess they are rectified now.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Virtual machine mebbe possible, I dunno.. but look at the screen size and resolution. Plus there is no guarantee that you will get Aero...

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Yellow dog is official so I suggest installing that.... or else Fedora.... The reports of Ubuntu isn't nice...

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Try Yellow Dog Linux 5.0

Yes, Yellow Dog Linux is optimised for the cell processor, no other Linux distribution is as refined for a cell processor as much as Yellow Dog Linux is.

Fedora core5 had reports of stable operation on the PS3

thnks infrared ...

is it possible to run vista... like in say some virtual machine??? within linux??

You can run virtual machines but since there is only 25MB XDR memory, things will be at snails pace.

ohhh....^^^

isthere a way to play pc games using some emulatior???

You cannot use the graphics core of the PS3 when you are running an altrenate OS. Which means there is no additional graphics capability, no games, no 3D editing. You will not be able to run all the usual games that run on a linux PC as the graphics core is still locked by Sony. You can only play arcade type games. There is a very good reason why sony has limited the graphics core but not that good a reason for general public.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Whats the reason for blocking Core grafix?

It's a really looooooooong story, but short point is, then it's going to become a full fledged PC and people are going to run PC games and stop buying PS3 Game Disks and that is too big a risk sony can't afford to take. It's not about letting people have the liberty to access it, but it's the amount of misuse that can happen because of it.

There are lot of other technical aspects for the graphics core being locked which is beyond the scope of explanation here. Do a google search and you will get more than enough links explaining them in detail.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Will wine even run on PS3? AFAIK, PS3 has cell processor and wine works only on x86.
Vista will definitely not run, AFAIK Vista can only run on x86 and x86_64 platforms.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Will wine even run on PS3? AFAIK, PS3 has cell processor and wine works only on x86.
Vista will definitely not run, AFAIK Vista can only run on x86 and x86_64 platforms.

Wine is still in development for cell but other common virtual machines work.

It doesn't matter whether it's x86 or any other platform, if it's inside a virtual machine, it's always independent of the hardware, that's the whole point why the industry wanted virtual machines. There are several videos out on youtube which shows a working xp installation in a virtual box in linux in ps3 but like I said before, since only 256MB XDR memory is available, it crawls at snails pace, no point trying it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom