Opera 10.60 released - The fastest browser on Earth

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opera Software, the little Norwegian browser maker that pioneered many of the modern web browser features, has just released Opera 10.60. As suggested by the version number, the new build is more evolutionary than revolutionary. Opera 10.60 builds upon the 10.5x releases and polishes many of the significant changes introduced in the previous releases.

*www.opera.com/bitmaps/products/browser/overview/1060/scr-browser-cut.png

Visual Enhancements

Opera 10.60 refines the existing skin by making subtle but noticeable all-around adjustments. The hideous O-menu button has been replaced by a more civilized looking button. Hover thumbnail tab previews have been cleaned up and internal tabs (like Feeds, Mail, Notes and Downloads) have been graced with pretty looking icons. Also, Speed Dials now makes better utilization of the width afforded by wide-screen monitors.

Standard Support Enhancements

HTML5 has become quite the buzzword these days. Of course, thanks to the misleading usage by vendors like Apple, most people have come to associate HTML5 with any new web technology that is cool. That being said, Opera 10.60 truely delivers better HTML5 and other standards support. With this stable release, it becomes the first browser to support WebM videos. Also supported in this release are standards like Geolocation, Appcache and Web Workers. You can find more information on these new technologies here.

Performance Enhancements

*cache.techie-buzz.com/images/posts/pallab/img1/opera_106_speed2.jpg

Also included in Opera 10.60 is the customary speed improvement. I didn’t do any benchmarks with the final build, but Opera claims that the new build fares 50% better than it’s predecessor in some benchmarks. Earlier, Opera 10.60 alpha had managed to edge out Chrome’s dev channel releases.

Security Enhancements

Opera has added AVG anti fraud, malware and phishing feeds to beef up it’s phishing and malware protection feature. According to Opera, “Live feeds supply fresh information on the latest web threats to the users and keep them in the know about potential malware, harm or scams”. In certain regions, Opera will also be using data supplied by Yandex for fraud protection.

Other Enhancements

Live Search Suggestions are coming to Opera. For now, it works only with few search engines like Wikipedia. Hopefully, more search engines will be supported in the near future. Opera has also added Bing as an search option. Google remains the default search engine, but Bing will be used as the Speed Dial search engine.

This is also the first time UNIX users would get to try the significant enhancements introduced in Opera 10.50, since Opera was not offered in final version for the 10.5x series.

Opera 10.60 for Windows/Mac/UNIX can be downloaded from Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free. You can view real-time downloads of the browser in an interactive map available at Opera's geolocation Live Map.

Author: Pallab De
Source: Opera 10.60 Released: Boosts Speed, Standards Support and Security

Last edited:

Indyan

Here Since 2003
Thanks for the linkback.
And man, I really really love this version. The only thing that is sorely missing is extension support.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't feel the need of any extension with Opera. Opera just does everything I want, and works like a charm.

Some spammer posted p0rn links with pics, and I had to moderate urgently with family members in my room itself. :p I only had to switch to No Image mode. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the news.

Will download it today .....

& if possible will post some feedback tomorrow.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
whoa...I was working on Opera last night... didn't ask me for an update. I will update it to the latest version as soon as I reach home. As ico said..it has nearly everything one could ask for...have been using it for past 3-4 years, never have to switch to any other browser...(except to IE occasionally to view any particular website properly)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I'm also using it for past 4 yeras and use IE8 as like as you

BTW, installed the new version

The speed dial page has changed but I've noticed a strange thing though I disabled automatic update and I'm not using turbo the browser keep on trying to connect with opera web servers - noticed it from peerblock log - this is really irritating and I'm wondering why it's trying to connect with opera servers after a particular time interval.

it's trying to connect with ( if anyone is interested )

Opera Software ASA
IP : 195.189.143.147
Port No : 80
Protocol : TCP

My question is though opera is a trusted company why it's trying to connect with it's server after a particular time period as i'm seeing peerblock is blocking it after every half an hour.

Will try to stop this from advanced config if possible.

^^ without this issue there is nothing wrong with the browser :

The page loading speed is good and the bug where large sized pages seemed to be loading for ages have been fixed.

Mem consumption is though a little bit higher when starting up ( around 56 MB without any page opended ) is low while you are browsing ( compared to 10.53 ) and the lagging issue is fixed - previously it was slowing down after 2-3 hours but now it's running good.

Overall it's good than the previous version

BTW, the speed dial page has now bing as default serach provider :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom