Old Servers - REALLY OLD I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often hear of companies upgrading from their old Pentium III Xeon, Pentium II, old IBM POWER, etc servers to modern systems.

Where do these machines go ? I hear a lot of e-waste is generated by dumping old hardware. I'm interested in obtaining some of these stuff which I hear are often given away free.

The thing I like about them is that they have very low TDPs and even if they have just 64mb RAM, its enough for running a barebones linux headless file server without GUI.

Any advice as to where to go to obtain one guys ?

Since I'm in Bangalore, AKA IT City, I guess it will be eaisest to find such things here.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I have seen bank auctioned computers end up at second hand hardware dealers here in Mumbai. There is actually a large market for those machines. A full p4 system costs about 5K~6K.

Your best bet would be a second hand hardware dealer in your city.

I'm not talking of P4 systems.

I am referring to those things nobody can buy, like Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 300MHz servers with 256MB RAM and the like.

There are systems like these which are weaker than an Intel Atom 1.6GHz CPU but still good enough to run Linux.

Companies usually ditch around a hundred of these and replace them with a SINGLE modern server which does the same job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom