Old 64 meg stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKant

In the zone
Well it gave me a few problems when coupled with my 128 meg one. All games etc. played normally, but when I started up MPlayer Classic the system rebooted, and then went on and on. Then I thought there was some problem with the XP install, or a virus perhaps, so I reinstalled XP. But then there were problems during the install too, when it said "corrupted file" each time for a different file. Only after I took out the older RAM stick that things came back to normal.

But I don't understand how a single app could "trigger" a system into pre-boot unstability. Weird. If the sticks were "out of sync", it should have shown up b4 right? Or does it need system-level instructions to bring out the monster? But then what would a media-app have to do with system-level instructions? And then again, why not b4?

I don't understand any of it. Somebody pls explain. Also is there a solution? Or should I get more data, i.e, test it with other s/w, more games. Check the freqs. I really don't want to put that stick back in just now, just in case, if I had to re-install everything. (I know it shouldn't/wouldn't be necessary, but the human mind is a strange place. :p)

Oh FYI, it's an 810E board with PIII 866MHz. Thanks.

D

dinesh_singh

one of your ram sticks or both are having bad memory chips....test them with memtest86 one by one and simultanously.
you can always add diff capasity ram sticks butt their frequency must be same.

OP
D

DKant

In the zone
Well the 128 is perfect, atleast everything works on it beautifully. Probably something with the 64. I'll check it and post the results later. :)

But still why should one particular app trigger such a landslide? An MPlayer @ that. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom