Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

g_goyal2000

Youngling
If under warranty, then contact DELL service. They will resolve your issue of sluggishness.
If you can go to the BIOS then you can self-diagnose with the DELL BIOS scanner which scans each and every component and gives the root cause of the problem.(That's what the IT Guys in my company uses as we have DELL machines everywhere).

Probably the root cause of the failing HDD sector. Run the CystalDisk Info tool and check the HDD health.
I already did a DELL PSA diagnostic. No errors there.

My guess is, due to clutter of preinstalled Dell softwares (which I removed most of), frequent Window Updates (including feature updates), leftover files/folders/regitry entries from uninstalls, etc., the system has become a little sluggish.
Moreover, even after upgrading the RAM from 4 GB to 12 GB (compatible RAM modules, I checked), I don't find noticable increase in system speed in standard/everyday use.
Gaming experience has however improved after RAM upgrade.

And did I mention that there is Windows Update issue wherein Windows Update has failed to update since past 2 months (Error 0x80080005) !

Not to mention, there is probably some audio driver issue also wherein the Windows keeps giving out random "tuck" sounds thru speakers.
There is also some delay in giving out exclamation sounds as well as Windows boot tune.

Have tried unistallation & reinstallation of Realtek Audio Drivers, but to no avail.
Except for Realtek components (LAN, audio, webcam) in my system for which I use Dell supplied OEM drivers, for remaining Intel & AMD components, I use generic drivers.

BTW, what is the difference between "Reset this PC" and "Fresh Start"??
Which one should I choose?
Or should I do a clean install?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better do a clean install & then use Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks to manually check for updates & install only those that are required. Without ssd though all this can at best give you few months of ok experience after which you most likely need to repeat this cycle.

P.S. you really have no idea what you are missing by not using ssd, the overall difference is like night & day between using hdd & ssd.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Ok, so I just did a Windows Update using Windows 10 Update Assistant tool since Windows Update was not working.
Updated the system from version 1809 to 1909.
Took around 2 -3 hours.
Immediately noticed performance increase in regular use.
The Update also rectified the Windows Update issue.
Now Windows Update is working as usual.
Also manually updated the device drivers to latest available.
But the Audio "tuck" issue still prevails.

Better do a clean install & then use Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks to manually check for updates & install only those that are required. Without ssd though all this can at best give you few months of ok experience after which you most likely need to repeat this cycle.

P.S. you really have no idea what you are missing by not using ssd, the overall difference is like night & day between using hdd & ssd.
I am aware of that.
Have just noticed that the DELL Power Manager application has started giving out notification that the laptop battery life is gradually reducing.
So I guess, I'll install a new battery as well as SSD together once the extended warranty expires and/or ODD goes defunct, whichever is later.

As for few months of OK experience, what I've noticed since last few Feature Updates is that every feature update improves system performance.
And since Microsoft releases Feature Updates probably maximum 2-3 times every 1-2 years, I guess I can update my system using such Feature Updates to improve experience.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
As for few months of OK experience, what I've noticed since last few Feature Updates is that every feature update improves system performance.
And since Microsoft releases Feature Updates probably maximum 2-3 times every 1-2 years, I guess I can update my system using such Feature Updates to improve experience.
Not true for all though,the 2nd last update(v1903) had many bugs which prompted microsoft to focus on correcting those bugs & minimize new bugs in v1909 which is why its new features list is probably the shortest among all feature updates released in last 2-3 years. Feature update is released every 6 months(so 2 times in a year).

ssd prices are going to increase this year(already started) so whenever you buy it a few months/year from now you will most likely pay a premium of 10-40% over current prices.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
1ssd prices are going to increase this year(already started) so whenever you buy it a few months/year from now you will most likely pay a premium of 10-40% over current prices.
He is well aware of the benefits of SSD and was also told in previous post by other members. So, persuading him again & again on SSD buying won't be a good idea. He might have other reasons to not go for SSD as of now. In the end its the choice of the user and we can just give suggestions.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is well aware of the benefits of SSD and was also told in previous post by other members. So, persuading him again & again on SSD buying won't be a good idea. He might have other reasons to not go for SSD as of now. In the end its the choice of the user and we can just give suggestions.
It was just a reminder that too only used 2 times(incl counting the first time as good advice) & if you had bothered to read his posts completely you would know that the only reason he was not going for ssd is because his laptop is still in extended warranty & he does not want to do any modifications that may void warranty. He already decided to buy ssd after his laptop extended warranty ends in which case there is no harm in buying a ssd today instead of buying the same ssd at higher prices few months later.:rolleyes:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
It was just a reminder that too only used 2 times(incl counting the first time as good advice) & if you had bothered to read his posts completely you would know that the only reason he was not going for ssd is because his laptop is still in extended warranty & he does not want to do any modifications that may void warranty. He already decided to buy ssd after his laptop extended warranty ends in which case there is no harm in buying a ssd today instead of buying the same ssd at higher prices few months later.:rolleyes:
Warranties are overrated. Good build matters. One shouldn't cry that performance is not good and then still wait out for warranty to end to make necessary changes. :rofl:

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Not true for all though,the 2nd last update(v1903) had many bugs which prompted microsoft to focus on correcting those bugs & minimize new bugs in v1909 which is why its new features list is probably the shortest among all feature updates released in last 2-3 years. Feature update is released every 6 months(so 2 times in a year).

ssd prices are going to increase this year(already started) so whenever you buy it a few months/year from now you will most likely pay a premium of 10-40% over current prices.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks for understanding. I appreciate it.
Warranties are overrated. Good build matters. One shouldn't cry that performance is not good and then still wait out for warranty to end to make necessary changes. :rofl:
Hate to be blunt but I guess one must not have had the need arisen to invoke warranty!! That's why the humor..
One doesn't understand the importance of warranty till the need to invoke it arises..
On my previous Dell Studio 1558 laptop, I had invoked warranty atleast 10 times and Dell serviced the laptop onsite everytime, no questions asked.
Moreover, got parts replaced of 2 laptops (on one laptop's warranty, don't ask how.. that's a secret) costing more than the price of laptop in total...
Furthermore, with 1 year of extended warranty remaining, Dell did not have parts for my Dell Studio 1558 laptop when I again invoked warranty.
So they took back the laptop & gave me a full refund for the purchase price plus cost of 1 year of extended warranty after 4 years of ownership.
So, yeah probably no one more than me knows the value of a warranty.

Last edited:

g_goyal2000

Youngling
They gave you back full purchase amount,isn't it standard to refund only the depreciated value.
Yup, full purchase value along with cost of 1 year remaining extended warranty.
They gave me a credit note which I used to purchase another laptop Dell Inspiron 3542 for a family friend (since I already had one more laptop in hand) & took cash from him against the same.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, full purchase value along with cost of 1 year remaining extended warranty.
They have me a credit note which I used to purchase another laptop Dell 3542 for a family friend & took cash from him against the same.
That's really good. It is the first time I am hearing about any electronics brand in India refunding full amount instead of depreciated value.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
That's really good. It is the first time I am hearing about any electronics brand in India refunding full amount instead of depreciated value.
I know. I might still be having the credit note in my mailbox. Will have to search for same. Will post it here once I find it, after redacting personal details of course..

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Looking forward to it.:)
dell.jpg dell1.jpg dell2.jpg dell3.jpg

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Anyone using outlook 2016, 2019 or 360?
I wanted to download all email / selected email attachments at once from Yahoo Mail. But there is no such feature.
Now as I found solution I want to share it with you all.
Also if you know similar extensions, addons or softwares like this, please share..

Check this software -
Kutools - Combines 100+ Handy Functions and Tools for Microsoft Outlook

Last edited:

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Always go for a brand that will last. Only then you will get spares. Redmi Book looks interesting to me, but I will go for a Dell or HP this time. Mainly because I have no idea what Xiaomi's future will be in 6 years.

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
with so many bugs & unstabability even after update ... it seems Win 7 was really good ...

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I have installed a hybrid system of ssd n hdd on my old dell 5558. I purchased a caddy and installed the ssd & cloned the os drive to it. The ssd now has contents of the os drive. But its not booting. upon selecting system device bay option from the boot menu error message comes that no bootable device found
i installed the ssd to keep it my primary operating system but its not serving the purpose

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have installed a hybrid system of ssd n hdd on my old dell 5558. I purchased a caddy and installed the ssd & cloned the os drive to it. The ssd now has contents of the os drive. But its not booting. upon selecting system device bay option from the boot menu error message comes that no bootable device found
i installed the ssd to keep it my primary operating system but its not serving the purpose
Mention the exact procedure you used to transfer the OS(incl software names).

Top Bottom