Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Is buying serial key from relatively unknown sites safe?
Windows 10 Professional {Pro} Latest Edition 32/64 Bit Genuine Product With 100% Original Retail Lifetime License For 1 PC/User – Dealkart India
This site is selling Windows 10 Pro key for Rs385. Is it safe?

By the way, my Windows update setting says -- "Your version of Windows has reached end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements."

My Windows OS build info is this
Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise
Installed on: 20 Feb 19
Version: 1803
OS Build: 17134.1276

How can i get to the latest version of Windows 10??
Do i have to get the real version of Windows:?
Those are either stolen keys or key taken out from OEM machines which were never activated. There is an article on the same on internet, have a look.

There are options to disable this watermark. I don't know whether it is legal to do that.
Obviously, illegal to disable/remove watermark from other methods of unlocking.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Is buying serial key from relatively unknown sites safe?
Windows 10 Professional {Pro} Latest Edition 32/64 Bit Genuine Product With 100% Original Retail Lifetime License For 1 PC/User – Dealkart India
This site is selling Windows 10 Pro key for Rs385. Is it safe?

By the way, my Windows update setting says -- "Your version of Windows has reached end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements."

My Windows OS build info is this
Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise
Installed on: 20 Feb 19
Version: 1803
OS Build: 17134.1276

How can i get to the latest version of Windows 10??
Do i have to get the real version of Windows:?

read somewhere on internet that these people are running a scam to get payment information of customers so better not visit that site again.

Better to use it unactivated than use stolen keys

Just run windows update. Latest version is 1909.

i have used unactivated for some time, noticed the watermark but didn't had any problems. so i fully agree with what SaiyanGoku is saying.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop with following configuration:

Intel Core i5 Processor (7th Gen) 7200U
12 GB DDR4 RAM (4+8)
64 bit Windows 10 Operating System
1 TB HDD
15.6 inch Full HD LED Backlit Anti Glare Display
AMD Radeon R7 M445 2 GB DDR5 (dedicated) with Intel HD 620 4GB (integrated)
Windows 10

Bought it in April 2017 & have never formatted the system not reinstalled Windows ever.
With time, Windows is starting to show signs of slowing, etc.
Also, there is this issue with Windows Update wherein the Windows Update is unable to check for updates.

I have used Windows Media Creation Tool & have created a bootable Windows Installation USB.

My main query is, should I -
  • "Reset this PC" using Windows Settings menu
  • Do a "Fresh Start" using Windows Settings menu
  • or use the bootable USB drive to format & do a "Clean Install" of Windows.
It may be noted that I have never formatted or reinstalled Windows 10 ever since I laid hands on it 3 years back.
However, I do have vast experience with Windows 7 & earlier Windows editions.

Kindly suggest.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Indeed.

@g_goyal2000 buy a good ssd like Buy Online Crucial MX500 2.5″ 250GB SATA III 3D SSD CT250MX500SSD1 In India & buy soon as ssd prices are going to increase this year anywhere from 10% to 40%. After that download & install latest version of win 10.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
4: Replace the HDD with SSD.
^^Indeed.

@g_goyal2000 buy a good ssd like Buy Online Crucial MX500 2.5″ 250GB SATA III 3D SSD CT250MX500SSD1 In India & buy soon as ssd prices are going to increase this year anywhere from 10% to 40%. After that download & install latest version of win 10.
Thanks for your reply. I am aware that SSD is the need of the hour.
But the issue right now with me is that my laptop is still under extended warranty & till it expires, I fear removing / replacing the OEM components.
Moreover, since it's a family laptop, many family members have their data stored too & as such, I cannot unilaterally replace the HDD / ODD with SSD (the laptop also has a functional ODD which almost every member uses).
And then there's the space constraint too.
250 GB against 1TB is too less. Right now, out of 1 TB, there is only 250 GB free space on the HDD.
So, in a nutshell, replacing the HDD with SSD is a strict no-no at the moment.

My only option right now is out of the ones I mentioned in my earlier post.
As such, kindly suggest.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

As such, kindly suggest.
Then to be honest, you have no real solution. Resetting would work for a while but being a HDD, it'll start crawling again. My "new" office desktop, which has 8GB DDR4 ram and 500GB HDD, is slower than my father's 8 year old laptop with 4GB DDR3 ram but 240GB SSD (recently upgraded).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the issue right now with me is that my laptop is still under extended warranty & till it expires, I fear removing / replacing the OEM components.
Moreover, since it's a family laptop, many family members have their data stored too & as such, I cannot unilaterally replace the HDD / ODD with SSD (the laptop also has a functional ODD which almost every member uses).
250 GB against 1TB is too less. Right now, out of 1 TB, there is only 250 GB free space on the HDD.

As such, kindly suggest.
Dell has a relaxed upgrade policy so replacing hdd with ssd should not be an issue,you can contact dell customer care about this. The only thing left then is storage issue. You can always use the internal 1TB hdd as portable external hdd by using a cover like *www.amazon.in/External-Portable-USB3-0-2139U3-CR-Transparent/dp/B01N07NBLA/ Depending on your budget you can also get a cheap 480gb ssd like Buy Online Seagate Maxtor Z1 480GB 2.5inch SATA SSD YA480VC1A001 In India OR *www.amazon.in/Kingston-SSDNow-Internal-SA400S37-480GIN/dp/B079T8BZMG/ (10% off using BoB credit card,there should be a sale in March too).

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

As such, kindly suggest.
If under warranty, then contact DELL service. They will resolve your issue of sluggishness.
If you can go to the BIOS then you can self-diagnose with the DELL BIOS scanner which scans each and every component and gives the root cause of the problem.(That's what the IT Guys in my company uses as we have DELL machines everywhere).

Probably the root cause of the failing HDD sector. Run the CystalDisk Info tool and check the HDD health.

Top Bottom