Official Android discussion thread

HellwratH

Right off the assembly line
Arn't they already? :p For me, (at least) the entire X range is doomed..

I agree. I used to love sony phones earlier, but the X series is something I'd not remember a year or two later. The easiest way to make the phone famous and usable (IMHO) is to give a good display with decent specs and let it run plain vanilla. Additionally, they can always provide unlocked bootloader for rooting etc. Most smart phone buyers would want to tinker around, what better way than to actually use that as an advantage for sales. They can always say they won't honour warranty if the phone is rooted, but like in the case of the desire (and many other phones) the developers will find a way of flashing back the original ROM and send it to claim warranty in case of a physical damage.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Agree 100%! That's one more reason why the Galaxy S is so awesome! Totally unlocked phone! And you can flash to stock and then claim warranty :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
u people belive it or not but still other then metro cities I dont find android with anyone at all...

People still trust SE and Nokia million times more then Samsung and Moto..

And max people think that HTC make only business mobiles and it is Chinese:))

That said SE should implement 2.1 quickly or else X8 is doomed:wink:

HellwratH

^^ Agree 100%! That's one more reason why the Galaxy S is so awesome! Totally unlocked phone! And you can flash to stock and then claim warranty :)

How is the ROM availability for Galaxy S? As in, a lot of customised ROMs are available? Asking this, as I haven't researched much about the development part for Galaxy S.

u people belive it or not but still other then metro cities I dont find android with anyone at all...

People still trust SE and Nokia million times more then Samsung and Moto..

And max people think that HTC make only business mobiles and it is Chinese:))

That said SE should implement 2.1 quickly or else X8 is doomed:wink:

The problem is that most people like Android to G1. They are not aware of the latest android phones and their capabilities. But once the awareness spreads, you'll see more people shifting to it.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
How is the ROM availability for Galaxy S? As in, a lot of customised ROMs are available? Asking this, as I haven't researched much about the development part for Galaxy S.

Development
Galaxy S I9000 Android Development - xda-developers
Samsung Galaxy S - S.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

The problem is that most people like Android to G1. They are not aware of the latest android phones and their capabilities. But once the awareness spreads, you'll see more people shifting to it.
Rom availability for Galaxy S is good as of now. Custom ROMs will increase once Samsung will slow down with official firmwares! Right now, they release like 2-3 firmware in a week! Does not make sense from a developer's point of view to invest much time in development right now. Also, a Cyanogenmod (THE ultimate android ROM) is planned for this phone! :)

HellwratH

Development
Galaxy S I9000 Android Development - xda-developers
Samsung Galaxy S - S.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo

Have seen those, and TBH, didn't see a lot of ROMs, hence the question :). And as Kalpik mentioned below, once the firmware updates stop, more ROMs will come up I reckon.

Rom availability for Galaxy S is good as of now. Custom ROMs will increase once Samsung will slow down with official firmwares! Right now, they release like 2-3 firmware in a week! Does not make sense from a developer's point of view to invest much time in development right now. Also, a Cyanogenmod (THE ultimate android ROM) is planned for this phone! :)

Yeah, I want to see how Cyanogenmod will be on this beast. I am impressed by their mod on N1, the phone is super fast and I like the mario live wall paper :D.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
X8 isnt launched yet.Crap news.Will ship with 2.1. And SE confirmed the 2,1 avaibility by the end of August. Check their site.
At least i dont have t root my phone to get rid of the oh-so-irritating lag in the GS. Just yesterday I introduced my friend to XDA, else he was off to selling his phone. Pretty much nails the general consensus for the phone.

jain_pranav

Broken In
Well i have a htc hero rooted & installed Amon Ra Recovery image.
Now when the OTA msg came 4 update to 2.1,it downloaded but failed to update & gave a msg "verification failed".

Can any1 please help me 2 update it to 2.1 ?
I dont mind if i loose my root.Also if RUU needs to be done,then kindly suggest which one?

right now itz on 2.73.x version.

PS- It came with airtel

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Now when the OTA msg came 4 update to 2.1,it downloaded but failed to update & gave a msg "verification failed".

I dont mind if i loose my root.Also if RUU needs to be done,then kindly suggest which one?

PS- It came with airtel

twitter.com/sunnychahal. He is expert on rooting Hero. check with him.

PS- It came with airtel

I don't think updating to 2.1 is a good idea because if you plan to root it later on, the process is a little tricky. If your phone is rooted, just flash a good 2.1 ROM based on the OTA update. Want me to link you to some of the good ones?

jain_pranav

Broken In
I dont mind loosing the root sunny.infact i dont need it.
So kindly tell me the procedure for upgrading it to the official 2.1 ROM.

Also name few custom ROMS based on official 2.1 OTA (stability imp)
i'l try them first & then go for the official one if needed.

Last edited:
OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I think rooting seems to be causing the problem. Check this thread it may help:

Verification failed while applying G2 OTA update - Page 2 - xda-developers

vulpine

Broken In
Spice launched its first Android phone in India.
Its features are almost silmilar to galaxy spica. And introductory price is 9990

check more details here:Spice Mobile

I dont mind loosing the root sunny.infact i dont need it.
So kindly tell me the procedure for upgrading it to the official 2.1 ROM.

Also name few custom ROMS based on official 2.1 OTA (stability imp)
i'l try them first & then go for the official one if needed.

You probably won't be able to find the Indian 2.1 RUU as it's an OTA update. So, just install HTC Sync and download a generic international 2.1 ROM for HTC Hero and flash it.

Have you made a backup of the stock ROM? If you haven't then you've done the same stupid mistake I did while rooting my Hero. If you haven't got a backup of the stock ROM then you'll just have to download a ROM and flash it.

Edit: I just found the 2.1 RUU for Indian HTC Hero. Go here- *forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720394 ,download it and flash it.

ALL HAIL XDA!

I can't guarantee that you'll be able to root after this update though.

Top Bottom