Office 2013 Upgrade query

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I recently purchased a 3 PC license of MS Office 2010 (Home & Student) edition, which includes a free update to MS Office 2013. but that story ends there. here is where MS dropped the bomb. I can only get a single license of 2013 (H & S) or 1 year Office 360 Home Premium subscription for 5 PC's (after which I will have to play ~4500/year :rolleyes: :evil:).

my question is .. if I go ahead with single user license and install it in one computer.. will the other license (2010) be invalid? not much info is available on the interweb :(

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
i believe that all you do is to upgrade the already installed office with the 2013 lisense and install the updates. This will be applicable only to the installed version of your office and may not effect the 3pc lisense itself.

Wait for others view on this though.

gameranand

Living to Play
I recently purchased a 3 PC license of MS Office 2010 (Home & Student) edition, which includes a free update to MS Office 2013. but that story ends there. here is where MS dropped the bomb. I can only get a single license of 2013 (H & S) or 1 year Office 360 Home Premium subscription for 5 PC's (after which I will have to play ~4500/year :rolleyes: :evil:).

my question is .. if I go ahead with single user license and install it in one computer.. will the other license (2010) be invalid? not much info is available on the interweb :(

No. Once you upgrade then you can only use Office 2013 not Office 2010.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
upgrade means your existing license will be marked as ended/terminated in microsoft registration servers so any future attempt to activate online will fail.in my opinion 3 user office 2010 is a better deal than 1 user office 2013 unless there is some specific feature of office 2013 you must have.though not legal/right you can bypass the restriction in a limited manner by first activating office 2010 on some system & then use a license backup software to save/backup office 2010 activation file so after your upgradation to office 2013 on another system you can still use office 2010 on that system for which you backup the activation but it will mean you can not change hardware on that system(not an issue if laptop since you can't/won't upgrade laptop).

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yes.. I feared this. I wont be going for the update. my dad is satisfied with Office 2010. I would not be bypassing the licence as I am going only legit or any FOSS alternatives.
thanks for the replies..

@mods. Please close the thread.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ After about 4-5 years on Open Office and Libre office I installed MS Office this month because I had the license :)

Top Bottom