OEM and Sony Boxed dvd writers??what's the diffrence???here's what i found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi people,if u read this months digit and read the agent 001 section u might have seen he answered a question about which dvd writer to buy.in it he mentioned there are two kinds of dvd writers one is OEM and another is boxed pack.
since i am myself going to buy a dvd writer so i went to the market asking about the sony dvd writer.i asked the dealer about the diffrence b/w OEM and boxed pack.he showed me a loose writer and a boxed pack one.he said the loose one is the OEM one and the boxed pack one is...well the boxed pack one.
when i asked whether the OEM was orignal he said it was.he said due to increse in competition and to decrease cost the company does not box pack each writer instead they put more writers without there box(i.e loose) in a big cartoon and transport them ,this helps them to reduce the cost(both packing and transporting wise).
so the loose or OEM one costs less.but (according to him) the OEM is also 100% orignal.

so thats what i found out.
hey by the way what is the full form of OEM????

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah, what he told you is true. And OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Actually, the OEM ones are not supposed to be sold loose. They are for system manufacturers (like dell, HCL, zenith etc) who buy them in bulk and they put their own branding on the writers (that's why OEMs dont have the company name written on the faceplate).

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@Tango , i dont think thats the difference :D

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

example==
all the HP Pavilion Desktop PC's come with a HP Keyboard (they are supposed to, :D), but those keyboards are made by "Logitech" according to HP's specification & atlast labled as a HP product.

& most of the time OEM parts come with only one year warranty.

Sourabh

Laptoping
OEM optical drives are of the same quality and generally carry the same manufacturer warranty as the retail counterpart. Vendors at Lamington Road in Mumbai, go one step ahead and give a third type of drive - OEM without service center warranty. If something happens to the drive you have to hand it over to the same vendor to get it repaired. I don't know if they still do it, but its rather silly since the difference between the three is not more than 100-150 Rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom