Odd-sized AA cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The other night, I noticed that one of our wall clocks had stopped. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it was very low. I'd run out of new AA cells but I didn't want to leave the clock showing the wrong time because my family relies heavily on that particular clock for their morning schedules, and I get up too late to let them know in time.

I rummaged in a drawer and found an AA cell that didn't look too run down. I checked it with a multimeter and yes, it still showed very nearly 1.5 Volt. So I tried to put it in the clock but it wouldn't go in. I tried again and again, but it just wouldn't fit in. So I took it out again and compared its length with that of the old one. It was longer than the old one by a significant margin!! There was no obvious deformation or bulging at the ends.

I managed to wedge it in just enough to get the clock running and replaced it with a new one the next day. I took it out again today and took a picture of the odd-sized cell placed next to a normal one. They are even of the same brand and model. Has anyone else ever come across something like this?

Imagine buying a box of this batch and being stuck with a whole bunch of new but unuseable AA cells!

*img230.imageshack.us/img230/9523/oddaacellyq9.jpg

I

ImAClown

it happens when whenever the electrode contains arsenic impurities.. if excess lithium is present then it wont work.. and it will appear longer..
it could also be due to refraction of light and chaos theory

OP
P

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
No, no. I've worked it out. The apparent excess length is caused by the effect of a black hole that happened to be passing close to the earth at the time I measured the cell's length. The passage of the black hole increased the bending of light in the time-space continuum as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. :)

BTW, I've measured the difference in length between the two with a pair of slide callipers, placing a thin polythene sheet on the negative end to prevent shorting.
Abnormal cell = 51.75 mm
Normal cell = 50.45 mm
Difference = 1.30 mm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom