Now Microsoft Want Hardware Limitations on Low Cost PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Microsoft has newly introduced hardware limitations on low-cost PCs -- at least those that want to continue using Windows XP beyond June 30.

We'd reported earlier that new-market segments like low-cost PCs (priced below Rs 20,000) would get an extension for Windows XP till June 30, 2010. However the introduction of hardware limitations serves as a dampener, rendering the extension meaningless -- to a large extent.

Reports suggest Microsoft having asked manufacturers to limit screen size to 10.2-inches, RAM to 1GB, hard disk capacity to 80GB, and processor speeds to 1GHz (with a few exceptions). Guidelines for low-cost PCs to use Windows XP have been set, stating minimum requirements of 500 MHz and 1GHz CPU speed and 2GB to 8GB flash storage.

Microsoft is in a bit of a catch-22 situation with having decided to pull the plug on Windows XP so as to promote its Vista operating system at the same time wanting to mark its presence in the low-cost PC market that Vista cannot entertain because of its high-power requirements.

Source

x3060

A LOTR fan
they sure are going down lately . . with vista being a flop . why would they want xp to come down by their own hands . . ?

praka123

left this forum longback
well,they want to make everything hard for common ppl!Hope Linux reaches to masses even if slow in pace. :)

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
I want GNU/Linux to have atleast 50% of the PC Market Share so that Microsoft tries to do something innovative rather than simply borrowing features from other Operating Systems :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the reason for this is that they want a normal xp copy to work on the low cost laptops ;)

linux can never reach the masses unless it gains a riddiculously simple made for fools, idiots and n00bs type idiot proof distro that makes every single thing graphical, and ensures that people are not troubled with "packages", all parts of an application are in one directory, etc.

Thats not a hard job, as apple made OSX from Free BSD, the notorious geek only OS getting transformed to the made for fools OS.

But it does take initiative, advertising and marketing to become a reality.

Such an OS can have a learning path, so that ppl who graduate from it can experience true linux.

till then, windows zindabad

praka123

left this forum longback
^@gowtham:well,Linux aint a geek's thing for the past 4 years.in some yet to support hardware(new) that we face problems.thx to respective corp. for not opening specs. :rolleyes:

and Ubuntu seems to be in the path to be a idiot's distro :) -but I will give respect-call the n00b's as "new computer users" or "born again from windows"(like those pentecostal ppl :D)

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Why the hell people always try to justify all the good/bad moves by MS. Yet another bad(read it good :D) move by MS. WinBoys have a bright future ahead. Happy pissing & sucking :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Reports suggest Microsoft having asked manufacturers to limit screen size to 10.2-inches, RAM to 1GB, hard disk capacity to 80GB, and processor speeds to 1GHz (with a few exceptions). Guidelines for low-cost PCs to use Windows XP have been set, stating minimum requirements of 500 MHz and 1GHz CPU speed and 2GB to 8GB flash storage.

Ok, first this isn't a "PC", it is more like a UPMC. Even Microsoft isn't idiot enough to let us work on a desktop with 10" Screen. These hardware limitations are for new UPMC & Budget laptops like MSI wind or Asus EEE PC.

Judging by the popularity of XP SP3, I would surely recommend MS to remodel XP & release it as "Windows lite Edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom