Not getting the desired performance.

prasanta_das

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I am here to discuss some problem with a system I have recently assembled. The system was assembled for research purpose of (chemistry) molecular bond and other property analysis. It runs on a software(gaussian) which take several days (upto 45 days ) to complete an analysis of a molecule on core2duo machine with 2gb ram and compete-able ASUS board(low end rig) on win7 ultimate. To make the processing faster the user wanted to have a high end rig and so I assembled one for him with the following components..

Processor - i5-2500k(3.3Ghz)
MB - Intel Z68-BC
RAM - 4GB (corsair)
HDD - 2TB (64mb cache) WD Cavier Green
PSU - Corsair 500V
Case - iBall Gamer
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

Now the problem is the processing speed of the analysis is same as the previous basic rig in the new rig. The new rig all the processing 4 core of the CPU is enabled and RAM allocated sufficiently(more than 2GB). Now what we have to do to make the process faster so the analysis time taken by the software come down. Please help....

dibya_kol

In the zone
at 3.3 it should be fine. But let me ask u is ur os fresh installed ? And if u want max performance u need to oc ur cpu. But need a cpu cooler(after market cooler) before oc that bad boy. I guess with stock voltage u can reach upto 4.3 ghz or even higer. But mind u every chip is diffrent and read several guides before oc.

sukesh1090

Adam young
@op,
are you sure that the program he runs can utilize all the four cores?just check how much amount of processor it is consuming.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
1. Ctrl+Alt+Del
2. open task manager
3. in the processes tab find the process of that application.
4. right click, select Set Affinity
5. choose <All Processors>, ok
6. right click, set Priority to High.

see if this works, if its not already set to all 4 cores.

Last edited:

Neuron

Electronic.
Make sure you are running the latest version of the software and also make sure that it is not being run in compatibility mode just in case.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ prasanta_das - the app you running ( or your friend ) must be single core optimized I mean there's multiple version of Gaussian. Gaussian 09W has both single CPU and multi cppu ( read multi core optimized ) version - so make sure you are running the right version of Gaussian to get good performance ;-)

OP
P

prasanta_das

Right off the assembly line
Thanks you guys for the replies. I will try the options you have provided and lets see whether I get the desired performance boost...
Will reply soon after testing..... thanks again...

Top Bottom