norton users...at risk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
"Symantec Corp.'s leading antivirus software, which protects some of the world's largest corporations and U.S. government agencies, suffers from a flaw that lets hackers seize control of computers to steal sensitive data, delete files or implant malicious programs...
...Symantec has boasted its antivirus products are installed on more than 200 million computers...testing showed the problem affects Norton Antivirus Version 10..."

read more at *www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501081.html

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
I was affected by a trojan called Trojan.Nebular and Norton could not repair it or delete it! It started destroying all the files in my PC! It even un installed the Printer Driver! I had to reinstall my whole PC yesterday and now I use McAfee!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
i was affected by adware.cdt
and norton was unable to repair.
than i sifted to mcafee...now i m felling gud.

alekh_khanna

Broken In
Use Bitdefender Pro or Nod 32 ... Better than the regular league....
Faster scanning... Excellent detection....smaller updates... Low on resources..
What more do u want ???:D

Vyasram

The pWnster
Used norton, mcafee- heavy on resources . Those two are just hyped up avs
Used Avast,Avg free- low detection
Using Kaspersky- Best so far
Yet to be tested- bitdefender,nod32

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
watch it sudhakar35in, there r certain rules to follow in this forum...

well im confused now as i just formated my whole system done a fresh install of xp wit norton yesterday....though my norton is very old (2004)....but ive unpdated d definations and all stuff from net....

cheers

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
I beleive no software is 100% perfect, although they promises to be. I am using Norton 2006 for the past two months an dit has got excellent protection. Couple it with Zone Alarm Pro Firewall and I believe I am quite safe. Also u can keep McaFee or other anti virus es installed (don't run them together) and use them for the ones Norton Can't treat

ssingha

Right off the assembly line
After I uninstalled Norton System Works2005, I am facing a warning at the time of opening of my pc showing some message that some files are missing and to have the files I am instructed to reinstall the Norton System Works 2005, then the computer instructs me ' Press any key to continue'.
But I did find any problem though I did not reinstalled the Norton System Works 2005.
Is there any method to remove the warning ?

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
ssingha said:
After I uninstalled Norton System Works2005.....Is there any method to remove the warning ?

search for delete all symantec and norton file/folders; go in safe mopde and do it, if required (i am ASSUMING u don not use any other norton/symantec product). then use a good registry cleaner www.ccleaner.com to clear junk.
inspect ur startup entries also using ccleaner, and remove relevant entries.
it shud help !

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Now Norton antivirus is at the receiving end!! Since Norton is the #1 antivirus the
hackers have began new ways to exploit it. Similarly the other aniviruses will get
their taste of the same medicine!! So no anitvirus is safe enough.

Kinnan

Right off the assembly line
Hey Does It Also Affect Symantec Antivirus Coporate Version 10 ?
Coz I AM Using It !!

Its Really Good Really low On Resources than the standard Norton Antivirus for Home Users Really Good Detection & Repair
Symantec Antivirus Coporate & Norton Anti Virus Are Both Made by Symantec !!

mihirvashist

Journeyman
i use AVAST! so i don't have to worry about this,it was detected a trojan when i executed a file ,
it works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.