Non touchscreen phone under 10k with wifi

batman

Broken In
1. Budget? - 10k
2. Display type and size? - Doesnt matter
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip - Bar
4. Preferred choice of brand - Any reputed brand
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type)- Qwerty/numpad only with more preference to numpad
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera - Camera not a must
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc) - Any
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly - WiFi is a must.
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc) - Media player+FM player
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc) - Occasional browsing plus listening to music/FM while travelling
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?-No
12. Any other info that you want to share-Looking for a reliable phone that can last for quite sometime,because I dont want to change my phone often

aroraanant

Explorer
If 3G is not required then you can go for BB 8520 for 8k or can get BB 9300 if you want 3G, 9300 is a great phone, my friend owns it and I use to use it almost every other day its pretty good.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
@aroraanant: But, OP is asking for a RELIABLE phone. BB Bold series mobile have poor build quality. Google it and you will find almost all of the users of BB Bold series complaining about its build quality after a year or so.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Since you said display size doesn't matter, so I suggest go for Sony Xperia Mini ST15i. Awesome build quality. Should be available under 10k on ebay.

aroraanant

Explorer
A lot of know persons are using BB curve as well as bold and they are working pretty good. None one them has reported any issues with build quality

aroraanant

Explorer
Bro it is not necessary for one to take a BB plan, one can do simple browsing without talking BB plan also :)
I know that because my buddy owns one I use to use it every other day

OP
B

batman

Broken In
i can suggest Nokia E5 - Wifi/3G both are available :)

Seems like a good phone..

Bro it is not necessary for one to take a BB plan, one can do simple browsing without talking BB plan also :)

Even if i am using WIFI to connect to internet,do I have to opt for BB plan..By BB plan you mean BB messenger and all right...

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^
No you don't need to opt for BB plan if you access internet through Wi-Fi.
Even for normal browsing through 2G or 3G you don't need to have a BB plan.
BB plan is needed for using BBM and all

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

but acc to this post net on BB needs a dedicated BB plan. BBM is included in that plan.

aroraanant

Explorer
I will let you guys know the whole thing tomorrow in the morning as my friend who own a BB 9300 has gone to sleep, will confirm from him in the morning or noon and will post the same here a.s.a.p. but as per my knowledge I don't think it is necessary to buy a BB plan.But still let me confirm it.

Nokia E5 is a good choice, and probably the only phone with WiFi + 3G + GPS. If you will be travelling a lot, then this is the best choice.

from flipkart:
Type: Li-Ion, 1200 mAh
Talktime: 13 hrs (2G), 5 hrs (3G)
Standby Time: 635 hrs (2G), 670 hrs (3G)

^ that and it runs on a 600MHz + 256mb setup, so multitasking at your level is not a problem at all...

Some might argue about symbian being a dead os, but it still is the most battery efficient OS, and "apps" wouldn't matter in your case ;)

aroraanant

Explorer
Finally I confirmed it from my friend who owns a BB, he told me that internet doesn't work on the browser of BB OS but it works on a 3rd party browser like opera without a BB Plan

Any other doubts can be asked now. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Finally I confirmed it from my friend who owns a BB, he told me that internet doesn't work on the browser of BB OS but it works on a 3rd party browser like opera without a BB Plan

this is great. Opera is one of the best mobile browser. BB can be recommended openly. though some apps that require BB plan mayn't work.

Raccoon

Journeyman

Interesting. Thanks for posting... this will help a couple of my friends on BB.

Somebody had posted this earlier. Read before buying a BB - Posts on Tech, Gadgets, Quality of Products, Services and so on!: Blackberry Curve Series Phone - BB Curve 8520 after a year plus of ownership. Poor Product and Service from Blackberry India.