NON- gaming pc w/o monitor for 24 k

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:ms word, excel, powerpoint, access , reader X , webbrowser (~8 tabs at a time average) , video/music/image editing , view videos (<hd quality) , music(little bit) , virtual dj , google sketchup , video dvd burning , photoshop , illustrator , little bit java programming (not now buit after 10 months or maybe 11)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:24 k ; already extended it may go upto 25 k not more that that .

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win 7 and xp

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:500 gb ;i may go for a 1 tb one if budget permits but only after i have the base components futureproof for atleast 4 yrs

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: no. have a 18 inch crt samsung

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: i have keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:this weekend if you guys help me out till then

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:no i haven't but have had fun with my pc almost twice every month (it goes kaput every now and then)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: kolkata yup from chandni

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: i need a futureproof pc that i wont spend big bucks on it in the next 4 yrs . at most 2k for dvdwriter or more ram if needed but not the core components like CPU , MoBo , hdd , psu
what i have planned :
cpu : i5 2400 (but topgear said that it is not easy nowadays)

really i'm bit bad on planning
what i need :
CPU , MoBo , HDD ,PSU , RAM , DVD WRITER , CABBY , UPS
I'm planning to use onboard graphics so no need of graphics card. (what i believe is :you only need it only when you play graphics hungry games which i'm not going to do)
most important : future proofing is wanted
and the mobo should be able to take the full juice out of the CPU and to multitask various apps listed at the top
"you are requested to kill my beliefs wherever necessary"

Last edited:

panwala95

In the zone
i5 2400-11k
gigabyte ga b75m d3h -4.2k
2x4gb corsair xms3 ram -2.6k
corsair vs 450-2k
cm elite 430-2k
asus dvd writer writer-1.2k
microtek heritage 650w-1.5k
total-24.5k

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
fast reply buddy
i was just wondering how you could fit all these inside 25k finally cought no hdd.
i dont think i need 8 gb ram i'll first put a 4 gb stick , if i need more, will buy a similar one afterwards.
and i think the b75 mobo is your favourite buddy. :-D
and cant i settle for a less cheap cabby just bcuz i have to get the hdd inside the budget. :-D
and you put a h61 mobo on a 12 k proccy ?? does it work good ??

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Since the req are web surfing,ms office etc an i3 wouldnt be enough?
I dont know about the onboard graphics,but when i tried to run a simple game like limbo on aw old p4 with onboard graphics-it says it needs a shader 3.0 gpu:(.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
so you think i need a gpu too ??

i'm also gonna do some music and image editing and dvd burning.
and more importantly future proofing cuz i'm not gonna update the core components in the 4 years..

i also first thought of i3 but that would ,i believe , wont be able to perform good 2 yrs later

and that bloody antivirus is just another piece of performance sucking vampires out there.

panwala95

In the zone
no for casual gaming hd 200 is ~to a hd 6450
it also supports dx 10.1 and shader model 4.1
so old games like limbo counterstrike etc should play fine
edited rig-
i5 2400-11k
gigabyte h61m ds2-3k
generic iball cabinet 1.5k
wd cavair blue 500gb-3.8k
1x4gb corsair value ram-1.2k
asus dvd writer writer-1.2k
microtek heritage 650w-1.5k
corsair vs 450-2k
total-25.2k
hope you like this one :)

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i couldn't understand the first two lines.
i think you intended hd 2000 ??

and i couldn't get any thing in the 2nd line

everything looks ok except the H61 mobo

if the cheap cabby is gonna cost just 500 bucks less , i'll go for the 2k one.
i think cm elite 311

and i'm getting the dvd writer for 900 bucks.

panwala95

In the zone
THE DVD DRIVE YOU MUST BE GETTING FOR 900RS would be a lg drive
lg drives are crap buy only a asus/hp one
dx 10.1 and shader model 4.1 is required for running games
the higher the shader mmodel and dx version the more graphics can be crunched out
please tell us why you dont you like that h61 mobo?
yes and i meant hd 2000 sorry!

panwala95

In the zone
no h61 boards are good
i own one myself
only thing is you wont get usb3 and sata 3
rest of the config is fine
good luck!

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I dont think the hd 2000 is anywhere near a hd 6450.its already slower than hd 3000 abt 20-50% depending on games.hd 4000 is on par with hd5450.see thishttp://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.htmlanyway they could play limb0 since they are shader 4.0.My friend has an i3 and a cheap gpu gt 210,i think,and he could play crysis 2 @low settings.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
whatever usages you mentioned even a core i3 is sufficient so core i5 will be more than enough for all your needs in coming 4 years.as for lack of usb3 & sata3 these are not important unless you plan to transfer ~100gb or more data frequently to external devices & measure your system boot up time with a stopwatch :)

for viewing HD videos HD2000 graphics is sufficient enough.of course even a low end graphics card will be better but my suggestion is hold off buying graphics card until you really feel the lack of it.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i said i wont game but for music editing and image editing (i mean really hungry softwares like adobe photoshop , and others etc)
will it be good enough for like 4 yrs from now ??
and some sites say that after 2 yrs or so , all the softwares will pretty much need 4 cores so i3 may lag behind ..
sorry but i forgot things in my first post. just updating that.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
TDP of sandybridge i5 cpu is 95w, right. Can h61 MOBO handle 95w cpus? I think they can handle max 65w tdp. Just my thought . May be wrong . Pls clarify on this

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
and the i keep at an average 7-8 tabs open.
if none of these gets affected after 4 yrs , i'll go for i3 2100

^^ i dont think so.
panwala has the combo.
and he's okay with it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for image/video editing processor & ram are much more important.for music editing only cpu is the factor.no general usage software requires minimum 4 cores as of now & very less chances of this happening after 2 years.ofcourse softwares with multi core support will run faster on a 4 core i5 compared to i3(2 real cores+2 virtual cores created by hyperthreading/HT) but the question is are you the type of user who can actually benefit from this.for example if you are encoding videos from high quality sources like blu ray AVC,HD camcorders etc frequently using x264 & manual tweaking then difference between i5 & i3 is significant for you.if you are converting your typical videos/mkv's/avi's usually found on net & friends pc & convert 4-5 videos a day using video converting softwares using codec like divx,xvid & no manual tweaking then you won't notice significant difference between i3 & i5.

TDP is an issue only for AMD processors where lower end mobos support upto 95w TDP processors while phenom II x6 & FX series processors have 125w TDP.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i'll not be using those high quality vids but will be editing avi's /mkv's/mp4's with inserting frames in between , tweaking frame rates , very very mild video editing (making a video slideshow with text and pics along with sounds) , etc. hope you got what i'm trying to say..
and i wont be using any blurays or those hd cams.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
then even a core i3 is sufficient for you.still i would recommend i5 because as per my experience it is always better to get the fastest possible processor in budget at that time & you seems to have the budget.still if for any reason you can't afford an i5 then i3 will still do the job for you.

Top Bottom