Nokia Lumia 520 discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
WP8 doesn't have the "File Manager" and i think that is annoying..

Do stock androids have a filemanager? I had an android phone, didnt need to use a file manager during the time I owned it. Part of the reason why i took the jump to WP8 coz I came to believe that I dont really need to tinker with a phone all the time. Unlike a pc which i keep meddling with, I just want a phone that works without any tinkering and looks good in the process.. Not saying you dont need a filemanager, just thought I'd share my opinion.
I'm also eyeing the 520 for mum. WP is the first phone OS I have ever seen that has made her comment "Hmm, that looks good"

Wait !! The 720 screen is gorgeous, much better than even the L920 :mrgreen:

:machinegun: No. But maybe better than the 820. I mean the 820 screen is definitely worser IMO than even the 8s. Color fringing.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^Not sure which phone you had but almost ALL android phones come with a basic file manager..
Not having a filemanager is like the stonehenge days..
But there should be free file manager apps for WP now

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Nokia is still the dominant phone maker in the Mobile Phone business in the joint category (feature + smartphone).
Samsung is leader by way too much in Smartphone market.

Source: ndtv

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
An OS question. In android I can transfer video files of pretty much any codec and play it via apps. Is this possible in WP8? Or do I have to convert! ( :( ) certain videos before sending them to phone?

Flash

Lost in speed
An OS question. In android I can transfer video files of pretty much any codec and play it via apps. Is this possible in WP8? Or do I have to convert! ( :( ) certain videos before sending them to phone?

• Video playback codecs: VC-1, Windows video, H.264/AVC, H.263, MPEG-4
  • Video playback file formats: MP4, ASF, WMV, AVI, 3GP, 3G2, M4V, MOV
  • Video recording formats: MP4/H.264

You don't have to worry about conversion.
Just transfer it and play.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Strange , as I used to have a neo v and it had a file manager in it..
Both of our phones are from the same year having same rom

Well, I used my phone for like a couple of months before passing it onto my sis, didnt find a file manager in it. Just an application manager. I did see some applications on the playstore, but then I never needed them. Had an update to ICS available, didnt because it'd remove a feature where the contacts would have their photos as the background and the 'CRT tv' effect when locking the phone. It was my first true smartphone, and it was a good experience but never really grew on me. For one I hated the FB integration and other Xperia branded apps I couldnt uninstall by default. And then the Music player wouldnt pause at the end of an album. Different people different tastes.

x264 mkv files. Will they work?

Usually no. But sometimes they work if you rename the files to .mp4 I hear. Not sure of the matter, just hearsay.

ujjwal007

Lost in games
oky.. just called the nokia priority center they have just 2 piece left black and white.. i m going to buy the black one cant wait anymore to get this little masterpiece :-D

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Well, I used my phone for like a couple of months before passing it onto my sis, didnt find a file manager in it. Just an application manager. I did see some applications on the playstore, but then I never needed them. Had an update to ICS available, didnt because it'd remove a feature where the contacts would have their photos as the background and the 'CRT tv' effect when locking the phone. It was my first true smartphone, and it was a good experience but never really grew on me. For one I hated the FB integration and other Xperia branded apps I couldnt uninstall by default. And then the Music player wouldnt pause at the end of an album. Different people different tastes.

Usually no. But sometimes they work if you rename the files to .mp4 I hear. Not sure of the matter, just hearsay.

you know, you can enable CRT TV effect with a simple hack on ICS :D..
Just decompile framework-res.apk, edit 1 line, recompile and put it back

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Good to know. Someday i might try and start meddling with android, just havent got enough time to do it right now. :)
I might even come back to Android someday, dont deny that, but ATM my 920 is going nowhere. Love it, love WP8 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom