Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
Re: Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a N

What about their OVI services. WP7 will download apps from Windows Market & use Zune Software to sync with PC.

What will be the fate of OVI store & OVI suite ? Is Nokia trying to earn profit by selling only hardware ? What about the ecosystem they were talking about ?

I think Nokia better adopt multi-OS strategy with WP7 & MeeGo.

Same goes with Samsung, if ever their Bada platform catches up, they'll abandon Android for sure.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Re: Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a N

What about their OVI services. WP7 will download apps from Windows Market & use Zune Software to sync with PC.

What will be the fate of OVI store & OVI suite ? Is Nokia trying to earn profit by selling only hardware ? What about the ecosystem they were talking about ?

I think Nokia better adopt multi-OS strategy with WP7 & MeeGo.

Same goes with Samsung, if ever their Bada platform catches up, they'll abandon Android for sure.

Ovi will live as long as Nokia sticks to their own OS for low to midrange devices.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

Here's another scoop from Gizmodo:

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
Bits confirms much of what has been inferred or assumed over the last few years regarding Nokia: up until this week, they couldn't have cared less about software or design. This quote, from Nokia's former head of design, says it all:

"The engineers at Nokia brag about the number of megapixels a new phone has," he said in a telephone interview on Thursday. "But they don't understand that if you can't find the button to use the camera on the phone, it doesn't matter how many megapixels it is."

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

i doubt. going for a single OS platform isn't the best of ideas. even though Android has taken as a top mobile OS, for corporates, Win7 maybe better (other then BBs). also Bada maybe reserved for the sub-20k smartphones.

WP7 - top end smartphones

top end multimedia mobiles may feature Meego too? can't it be? or maybe MeeGo will be used in any future Nokia tablets, if no to mobiles.

also i think the reason Nokia still uses the ancient S40 cause the H/W requirements are pretty slim. can go with very lowend SOCs. also most (non-techie) peoples seek better camera & specs. they don't have any idea what OS the mobile runs. it just should be usable.

Given this new development, Nokia is going to lose lot of devleopers who worked so hard on Qt and Ovi apps. And guess where they will be heading to!

Nokia is alive till Bada & Android doesn't starts showing up in the below 10k mobiles more frequently & with better specs.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

i doubt. going for a single OS platform isn't the best of ideas. even though Android has taken as a top mobile OS, for corporates, Win7 maybe better (other then BBs). also Bada maybe reserved for the sub-20k smartphones.

top end multimedia mobiles may feature Meego too? can't it be? or maybe MeeGo will be used in any future Nokia tablets, if no to mobiles.

also i think the reason Nokia still uses the ancient S40 cause the H/W requirements are pretty slim. can go with very lowend SOCs. also most (non-techie) peoples seek better camera & specs. they don't have any idea what OS the mobile runs. it just should be usable.

Nokia is alive till Bada & Android doesn't starts showing up in the below 10k mobiles more frequently & with better specs.

sub-10k market is last thing that developers rely on because majority of the app downloads and sales are at a higher end market. With so much happening in iOS, Android, I really doubt if devels will be interested in pleasing the budget Ovi market.

bilallucky

Broken In

Windows phones sucks IMO. Even bada OS is better than Windows OS

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

^^ LOL!
Stop copying other's posts.

sujoyp

Grand Master

I think it would be good for both the companies...and they can give useful suggestions to each others...one is software gient and other is still current market leader

Hope nokia can recover again...but Meego OS was fantastic...would love to see it in real

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

this is very good news for microsoft... and if nokia executes this properly it will be good for them too.... meego is dead.. and symbian^3 will be shifted to mid range phones like 10k... ones....

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/nokiawebcast-4.pdf-page-30-of-38.jpg

this is for smartphones..not for regular feature phones

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/nokiawebcast-4.pdf-page-32-of-38.jpg

RIP: Symbian -- Engadget

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

So, those 2 billion dollars pumped into Symbian,Meego and QT go down the drain now. It would've been much better had Nokia went with full scale Maemo development instead of licking Ballmer's shoes. In-house OS, matured, full support for Qt, fits their 'one app for all platforms policy'. Moreover, given the open source nature, it would have got heavy backing of developers and modders.

Sad, sad thing.

Is wp7 that bad?

coolguy010

Broken In
First Nokia Windows Mobile photo

SOURCE - First Nokia Windows Mobile photo Leaks

*2.bp.blogspot.com/-fyDwG1WtuJo/TVZsViIwNoI/AAAAAAAAAq8/up0x08fardQ/s320/nokia-windows-mobile.jpg
A photo has been leaked in the internet which looks like its the 1st mobile from nokia with windows

MORE - First Nokia Windows Mobile photo Leaks

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
Re: First Nokia Windows Mobile photo

Err..

I posted it here already: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/technolog...-broad-strategic-partnership-build-new-g.html

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

The interface is actually very refreshing & the best among the mobile OSes. The lack of few required features will be polished with updates.

Microsoft has confirmed that two major updates are in the pipeline which will enable true multitasking & cut-paste features.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

it just needs a few *** updates... IMHO, it's quite good.. with a new interface... thats diff to iOS and android

*** few very important.

Microsoft has confirmed that two major updates are in the pipeline which will enable true multitasking & cut-paste features.

old news. i heard this news quite sometime ago & almost every 2nd day i read it in some blog or article.

Rahim

Married!

Nokia Workers Walk Out To Protest Micosoft Deal

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

it just needs a few updates... IMHO, it's quite good.. with a new interface... thats diff to iOS and android

it's more like what iOS 1.0 used to be. Fresh (at that time) but missing lot of usable features.

ssk_the_gr8

^^ .. Microsoft are updating it... so in the long run i believe it will be good

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ .. Microsoft are updating it... so in the long run i believe it will be good

let's say that MS will bring out the updated WP7 by end of this year (which is the probable date). Imagine where Android and iOS will be by that time? MS designed a refershing UI but left too many holes in it and by the time it is fixed, the OS itself will be stale. The March update should add CDMA and copy-paste support and I hope that they get other fixes ASAP.

ssk_the_gr8

there's no certainty to it... but after the march update... it will have nokia and cdma on it's side ... so it will get some momentum.. let's see where it goes from there

Top Bottom