No sending more than 100 SMS per day from September 27

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
So, you love texting, and take pride in how fast your nimble fingers can fly over the keypad, here's some news to slow you down.

Just one more week (read September 20) and then you will be able to send just 100 texts per day - for that is when the Per Day Per Sim (PDPS) rule of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), which was announced last year, will come into effect. Some mobile users have already started receiving explanatory texts from service providers: "Dear customer, as per TRAI regulations, w.e.f 20/9/11, you can send only 100 SMSes in a day. It is also applicable on existing packs."

Source

:|

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
WTF?
What if I want to send more than that? Will they charge for additional SMSs or they will not allow it at all?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'm on Vodafone, and didn't got any such notification. But one of my friend with whom I text regularly over 200 SMS, already got notification. She's on Reliance.

I can't explain my condition. 100 SMS per day is like nothing for me. It'll be over within 12 - 1 PM if I start from morning.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
As if it will curb the menace. Most offenders use web engines to send bulk SMS. Our government day in day out proves that they do not know what they are doing.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I used to think that TRAI is the ring-hunter of all moron service providers, but this was a hands down sad decision from TRAI :(
Although, earlier 200 were like nothing to me (used to do 500+ :cool: ) but these days i rather call, so won't affect much except on some days. BTW I or my any of the friends didn't got any such notofication.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
what a stupid rule. I am sure it won't affect spammers in any way, it is normal people like us who will suffer!
curse you TRAI

BTW you get notification or not, it will get applied for all service providers...

eagle_y2j

Youngling
*www.trai.gov.in/regulationpre.asp?id=107

8.(c) after clause (k), the following clauses shall be inserted, namely:-
“(ka) no Access Provider shall permit sending of more than one
hundred SMS per day per SIM:

Provided that in case of post paid telephone number the Access
Provider shall not permit more than three thousand SMS per SIM
per month:
Provided further that in case of post paid telephone number, the
Access Provider shall not permit sending of more than one
hundred SMS per day per SIM from a date to be notified by the
Authority;
(kb) the Authority may by direction, from time to time, specify
the category of SMS which shall be excluded from the limit of one
hundred SMS per day per SIM:

Provided that before permitting a customer to send specified
category of SMS beyond the limit of one hundred SMS per day
per SIM, the Access Provider shall obtain an undertaking from
such customer that he shall not use such telephone number for
sending any commercial communications:

Provided further that the Access Provider shall enter, in the list
maintained in the National Telemarketer Register, the telephone
number, name and address of the customer, category of exempted
SMS and date of permitting sending of SMS beyond limit of one
hundred SMS per day per SIM and the said list shall be updated
every Monday.”
Nothing to worry much as TRAI in her regulation itself provides that there will be category of SMS which shall be excluded from the limit of one hundred SMS per day per SIM.!

Personal communications cant be barred as this would result in violation of Fundamental Right of Expression.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Saw this news in TOI in the morning. That is violation of human digital rights. TRAI should concentrate on improving QoS, not in these ruelz.

As if it will curb the menace. Most offenders use web engines to send bulk SMS. Our government day in day out proves that they do not know what they are doing.

Sadly they are too dumb to understand these facts.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I like the move actually. Now those meaningless SMS will stop, like I am eating, I am bathing, I am typing, I am ...... and blah blah.....
:lol:

Krow

Crowman
IF it can curb the advertisers, good. Else this is just like DRM, a pain for genuine texters and useless to stop the commercial ones.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
But this has happened already in April/March 2011.
Even then TRAI said that messages will be limited to 100sms/day. Airtel had implemented it(I suffered because of that). But no other operator did.
Airtel finally stopped it. Now am happily back on Airtel.

Lets see what happens this time!!!

socrates

In the zone
TRAI restricts number of SMS to 100 per day

See: TRAI restricts number of SMS to 100 - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit News

What a joke, today I received a sms selling bulk sms from a site, in different quantities eg: Rs 3000/- for 1lakh sms :D lol

Top Bottom