Nikon D-SLR buying advice.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys :wave:

I have chosen D3100 as the camera to buy.
bcoz 1080p video recording & under budget.

what is the best price of it with & without kit lens?
would it be a good idea to buy just the body & invest in other lens separately?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Ok some advice from a 6 month D3100 DSLR user:grin:

video recording time will be limited..its not like u would record a 15mins video.

U will need to purchase a class 10 memory card

dont try video recording with kit lens ..its not worth...

Dont try video recording at low light...

I would recommend you to get New Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFS G lens for D3100 cost 13k ...coz with cheap 50mm lens u wont be able to autofocus and u have to continously move the focus ring.

better option is Canon 550D+50mm 1.8 ...it will autofocus and will be cheaper then nikons combo:???:

and get a kit lens...it can be 18-55 or 18-105 for nikon and 18-135 or 18-55 for canon...they r pretty useful in learning.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I would recommend you to get New Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFS G lens for D3100 cost 13k ...coz with cheap 50mm lens u wont be able to autofocus and u have to continously move the focus ring.

so the default lens doesn't have AF?
I guess the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFS G lens have same zoom as default one...

better option is Canon 550D+50mm 1.8 ...it will autofocus and will be cheaper then nikons combo:???:
how much?

and get a kit lens...it can be 18-55 or 18-105 for nikon and 18-135 or 18-55 for canon...they r pretty useful in learning.
the total cost will be more if I get a Kit Lens along with above lens...

Q:What is the significance of 55mm & 135mm ?

sujoyp

Grand Master
so the default lens doesn't have AF?
I guess the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFS G lens have same zoom as default one...

how much?

the total cost will be more if I get a Kit Lens along with above lens...

Q:What is the significance of 55mm & 135mm ?

default lens ?? if u r talking about kit lens then it have good VR and zoom (18-55) is around 3x (in noob sense 55/18=3.***):smile:

And if u r talking about 50mm 1.8 AFD which is cheap ...it can autofocus on costlier SLRs like D90, D7000 etc

Yes 50mm is a fixed focus lens also called prime lens...it is not zoomed its very near to our eye view..so u will get the same pic that ur eye can see

D550+kit+50mm will cost u around 40k

but without kit lens u will loose much...u will not be able to take wide pics like scenery, group photos etc...do u think u want to go 20 meter away and take a group pic or 10meter with 18mm lens is better..

55, 135, 200, 300,500 is the zoom distance in simple words...u can simply estimate the zoom by dividing it with its lower digit..

like if its a 18-135 u can say that its a 7.5x zoom lens

like I have 18-55 + 55-200 soo total I can say I can cover 11.11x zoom distance:lol:

hope my language is simple:)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

default lens ?? if u r talking about kit lens then it have good VR and zoom (18-55) is around 3x (in noob sense 55/18=3.***):smile:
then shud I get the Kit Lens of D3100??

D550+kit+50mm will cost u around 40k
that's a very high cost :-?

but without kit lens u will loose much...u will not be able to take wide pics like scenery, group photos etc...do u think u want to go 20 meter away and take a group pic or 10meter with 18mm lens is better..
are u talking abt Nikon D3100 kit lens?

55, 135, 200, 300,500 is the zoom distance in simple words...u can simply estimate the zoom by dividing it with its lower digit..

like if its a 18-135 u can say that its a 7.5x zoom lens
Thanks for the funda..I m an anda in this :))

like I have 18-55 + 55-200 soo total I can say I can cover 11.11x zoom distance:lol:

u mean u use two lenses at a time...
Q:Then how much will be the mm of megazoom digicam of 20x or 35x??

My Plan is to get Nikon D3100 under 24k (w/o kit lens) & buy a Lens better than bundled Kit-Lens.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
then shud I get the Kit Lens of D3100??

yes u should get it...its good enough for learners...for a better lens u can get 18-105mm cost around 12k which gives 5x zoom

that's a very high cost :-?

Sadly DSLR world is very costly.I have spent 50k+on this in last 6 months slowly ..soo either u pay or compromise or wait..

are u talking abt Nikon D3100 kit lens?

yaah...18-55 mm is a very useful lens to play with...and learn..every lens have its own importance..

Thanks for the funda..I m an anda in this :))

We all learn slowly yaar

u mean u use two lenses at a time...

no I decide like if I go for birding...y will i need wider 18-55 I would need a zoom lens or If I want a macro y do i need a zoom lens a macro lens is needed...right?? soo we carry all the lens togather:lol:

Q:Then how much will be the mm of megazoom digicam of 20x or 35x??...

for that the cheapest is I thing some Sigma 150-500...donno exactly..there r cheap and costly of each lens depend upon company technology etc. every lens with stabilisation cost much more then normal ones.

My Plan is to get Nikon D3100 under 24k (w/o kit lens) & buy a Lens better than bundled Kit-Lens.

ur plan is absolutely fine...D3100 is superb...but whats the budget of lens..do tell us..we might suggest u used ones too...and as I told u before for video better use prime lenses...they r better.

Now ur turn:-D

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

yes u should get it...its good enough for learners...for a better lens u can get 18-105mm cost around 12k which gives 5x zoom
can I say its a zoom lens? I think 5x~7x is enuf for zoom photography....
also will I have a good 1080p video with it?

Q:the high zoom lenses are long in length?

yaah...18-55 mm is a very useful lens to play with...and learn..every lens have its own importance..
but u said Video is not good with it...dats y i m hesitant to invest in kit lens...

ur plan is absolutely fine...D3100 is superb...but whats the budget of lens..do tell us..we might suggest u used ones too...and as I told u before for video better use prime lenses...they r better.
u mean second hand lens???
I am thinking of buying Raynox DCR-250 for macro photography..what u say?

sujoyp

Grand Master
can I say its a zoom lens? I think 5x~7x is enuf for zoom photography....
also will I have a good 1080p video with it?

Q:the high zoom lenses are long in length?

but u said Video is not good with it...dats y i m hesitant to invest in kit lens...

u mean second hand lens???
I am thinking of buying Raynox DCR-250 for macro photography..what u say?

1. nope 5x-7x is not at all enough for zoom...coz its not even zoom...u know zoom as magnification right??:smile: thats the reason in SLR world we dont say zoom...

as i said a 50mm lens will give you picture what ur eyes see...so u can count it as 0 zero zoom ....thats the reason most budget level zoom lens start from 55 or 70 like 55-200, 55-300, 70-300 etc

so in that way a 18-55 have no zoom at all and a 18-105 have max 2x zoom...understood:) for proper bird shot or wildlife u need minimum 300mm which give descent zoom...like nikkor 55-300mm for 18k

as I said before taking video with a zoom lens is not a good idea...coz of technical things..its much better to invest in canon for video...they have better video taking capability and cheap canon 50mm 1.8 will autofocus.

bro kit lens is useful u dont know yet....like 10 days before at a party 15 people were sitting side by side...I would not have able to take that pic without wide lens...there 18 mm help..

*lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JZQEM9k-Ap4/TigqfFkzLeI/AAAAAAAAGeY/kUCmilAyqz4/s640/DSC_4732.JPG

this pic I could not have taken without wide format...if I have to take this pic with 50mm I will have to go nearly 10 meter more away..then how will I see the people...undertood:grin:

yaah 2nd hand lenses have a very bigg market I have got my 50mm and bag used...not bad at least...soo many guys buy dont worry...we will guide u.

yaah rynox is good...u can definitely go for it

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
@Zangetsu: The beauty of DSLRs are in the quality of the photos it takes. It can take very high quality sharp images even in low lights.
DSLRs have larger sensors than any P&S cameras and both are targeted at different audience. If you want to learn the art of photography then only go for DSLR else I would suggest that you go with some prosumer camera with help of @sujoy.

If you plan to learn and enjoy the art of photography, you should also be ready to invest large amount of money over period of time in lenses. Just to get you an idea, one of my friend has total of 6 lenses with his Nikon D60, which includes a 50 mm prime , a 35 mm prime, 10.5 mm fish eye, 10-24 mm wide angel, 55 - 300 mm zoom lens apart from 18-55 mm kit lens. The total cost of the lens are appx. 1.5 lakhs while the body is about 40k when purchased.

If you are particular about any specific type of photography you need to buy the specific lens, as in case of my friend he is not interested in macro, so he don't have any macro lens.

My suggestion: buy any body with the kit lens and get a 50 mm prime lens, the prime lens will really help you a learn about photography. BTW, I am personally more inclined towards Canon than Nikon but both are equally good.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^thanx shivkumar

@sujoyp: thanx for the info.Is the above photo taken from D3100 VR kit lens?if yes then it clicks wide photos?

my needs are these: Indoor Pics (like above),Outdoor Pics

for Outdoor pics I have a doubt.Will 3X zoom (of kitlens) will zoom how much distance from the subject i.e 5meters,10meter etc?

Q What are prime lenses?what their specialty?Are they suprerior in Video Shots?

OK,I have dropped the Idea of Zoom lens for now. will buy it later...
but still do u think that getting a kit lens instead of a separate good lens better than it say 6~7k around is not a good option?

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sujoyp: thanx for the info.Is the above photo taken from D3100 VR kit lens?if yes then it clicks wide photos?

yes its taken with D3100 and kit lens 18-55 VR ...for parties its too good...with the option of taking wide pics u can cover more area without moving backwards....but if r asking for panaroma shots...then no it cant take panaroma but u can join pics togather with software to give that effect.

my needs are these: Indoor Pics (like above),Outdoor Pics

for Outdoor pics I have a doubt.Will 3X zoom (of kitlens) will zoom how much distance from the subject i.e 5meters,10meter etc?

for indoor shots actually I think kit lens is enough to start...people say get 50mm for indoor shots cot it have great low light capabilities...but I am yet to learn how to use it that way:-?
Q What are prime lenses?what their specialty?Are they suprerior in Video Shots?
Prime lens have fixed focal length and almost all prime lenses are sharper then zoom lenses...50mm is famous for the cheapest sharp lens available..but as i said before the cheap 50mm 1.8 D wont autofocus on D3100...u have to get the costlier AFS 50mm 1.8 G lens

OK,I have dropped the Idea of Zoom lens for now. will buy it later...
but still do u think that getting a kit lens instead of a separate good lens better than it say 6~7k around is not a good option?

A kit lens cost nearly 6k if u purchase saperately...I would suggest you to get 18-105mm lens its worth it...try to take videos from it...if u r not satisfied then u have to spend 13k more for AFS 35mm or AFS 50mm lens

As shivkumar said...photography is an art...soo get gears according to need..if u really think video is most important I would still say go for canon 550D DSLR

For indoor photography u can use pop up flash initially and later after 2-3 months u will buy a dedicated flash..thats how learning goes

My final verdict:lol::)) get D3100+18-105mm for start and learn to use SLR 1st before any other purchases :)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

yes its taken with D3100 and kit lens 18-55 VR ...for parties its too good...
ok, thats for indoor & what about outdoor?

Prime lens have fixed focal length and almost all prime lenses are sharper then zoom lenses...50mm is famous for the cheapest sharp lens available..but as i said before the cheap 50mm 1.8 D wont autofocus on D3100...u have to get the costlier AFS 50mm 1.8 G lens
AFS 50mm 1.8 G lens whats its full Name?
Prime lenses are sharper than any other lenses...
& for Wildlife photography like clicking on african jungle safari they use tele lenses (which are very long)?

Is AutoFocus really helpful?

A kit lens cost nearly 6k if u purchase saperately...I would suggest you to get 18-105mm lens its worth it...try to take videos from it...if u r not satisfied then u have to spend 13k more for AFS 35mm or AFS 50mm lens

so 18-105mm lens is better than VR Kit lens...

I would still say go for canon 550D DSLR
how much?will be costlier than Nikon D3100?
& how it is superior than Nikon D3100?

For indoor photography u can use pop up flash initially and later after 2-3 months u will buy a dedicated flash..thats how learning goes
what type of flash is used by DSLR?I mean the type Xenon or any other...

My final verdict:lol::)) get D3100+18-105mm
so its a worth buy excluding VR kit lens?
whats the full name of "18-105mm"?

I hope u r not getting bored by my questions?

sujoyp

Grand Master
:lol:
ok, thats for indoor & what about outdoor?

In outdoors and good lightning condition all lens work well...dont worry..18-55 VR is a great lens but just that it dont have much zoom...soo I suggested 18-105..its full name is Nikkor 18-105 AFS VR (Thats all i remember)...some zoom always come handy:smile:

AFS 50mm 1.8 G lens whats its full Name?

It is the full name Nikkor AFS 50mm 1.8G .

Prime lenses are sharper than any other lenses...
& for Wildlife photography like clicking on african jungle safari they use tele lenses (which are very long)?

yaah they are sharper...but for a newbie like u and me it doesnt really make a difference...We can not diffrenciate soo much...

Those tele lens r available from 18k to infinity...the costliest I heard was some $10k

It depends on the money u spend...we always recommend simple solutions for starters... then as u grow interest u will know what u want

Is AutoFocus really helpful?

very very important...although creative masters say that manual lens is a better practice with better control...but when we as a newbie try to focus ...it takes lots of time and mostly pic get blurred..out of focus...and we regreat the purchase...Its better to learn 1 by 1...1st basic photography and
composition then later practice manual focus:)

so 18-105mm lens is better than VR Kit lens...
Its also a VR kit lens only just costlier by 6k more:grin:

how much?will be costlier than Nikon D3100?

Around 8k
& how it is superior than Nikon D3100?

Superior video quality...more features..all canon lens will autofocus its not like some will autofocus and some wont like in nikon...u can get a 4 .5k 50mm lens and do great videography...but in nikon better get a 13k autofocus 50mm lens and then do it...so u save money like this

what type of flash is used by DSLR?I mean the type Xenon or any other..

Yaah xenon is used in flash...flash power can be controlled as per requirements...there is a lot to study in flash...dont bother about it now:)

so its a worth buy excluding VR kit lens?
whats the full name of "18-105mm"?

u got ur answer above

I hope u r not getting bored by my questions?

I feel like i am giveing an interview:grin::lol:

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^thanx for the explanation...

are Cannon lenses costlier than Nikon Lens?? or vice-versa
AFS 50mm 1.8 G lens what is G here?

sujoyp

Grand Master
nope its not like that...rather for starters I sometimes feel canon is cheaper...

whats G...umm I exactly donno but just know that G lens dont have aperture ring :)

comon I am no guru to know everything...just helping u :)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Is Cannon 550D video (1080p) with kitlens better than Nikon D3100?
the price of cannon 550D is 35k in its indian website...

what is DX & FX lens in Nikkor?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
canon 550D absolutely beat D3100 or nikon in video recording...even some pro use it occasionally for video recording...but still I say dont be too hopeful about video recording...or better I say check youtube videos of recording samples and judge.

DX sensors r smaller sensors then Fx sensors...its technicality is too much...but I can say that above 2 lac almost all DSLRs have FX sensors or full frame sensors...
And the fx lenses can be used on those fx cameras as well as our normal DSLRs with Dx sensors or cropped sensor
but Dx lenses r made for small sensors so can not be used on fx DSLRs

A nikkor 50mm1.8 AFD lens is an fx lens but your kit 18-55 is a dx lens
and its not only with nikon but with all companies

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^Ok..& while buying lenses do we have to check the focal points such as f/2.8 or f/18 etc?

& there is a motor in Nikon D3100?

sujoyp

Grand Master
if u have lots of money u can check f2.8 while buying lenses coz generally all normal lenses have f number starting from near 3.5-5.6

those with lower f numbers r called fast lenses...these have generally better optics and better low light pic talking capabilities...but other then prime lenses like 50mm1.8 35mm 1.8 all r soo costly...50mm 1.4 cost around 18k
and with zoom 70-200 2.8 is one of the lens every one dreams to get one cost around 35-40k ...

No there is no motor in D3100 and D5100...u have to get D90, D7000 for inbody motor in Nikon..so we can only autofocus with AFS lenses not AF, AFD, AI, AIS etc lenses

Sounava

In the zone
Nice going sujoyp :)
Shall I enter into the discussion also? Was busy for the last few days (weeks?) so was unavailable.

Top Bottom