Nikkon D5100 or Canon 550D

SwiftLover

Broken In
I totally agree with you. Once, I was in the same situation D5100vs 550D. I went to store and tried out both for nearly 45mins. Now, I can say Nikon D5100 is right choice for me. Feature wise both are equally(Thin Hairline difference) good and so is the image quality.

I really liked the comfort of holding the camera and that's the basic thing required for the DSLR. I will be getting the delivery in next 2 days :).

Buy from Authorized Nikon Dealer for details refer Nikon Support page. :evil:No Warranty for Non Authorized dealers.

I disagree that specwise 550D beats D5100. If you say 5 points in favour of 550D, you will also be able to say 5 points in favour of D5100. Like I said, there is no definite winner.

About the 2 so called "advantages" you mentioned in 550D:

1. In body motor factor: Only advantage he will get is by using the 50mm f/1.8 lens of Canon. Otherwise, you will now practically get all lenses with built in motor variant.

2. I will like to tell you that video recording in D5100 is also superb, if not better than 550D.

yaah if u get any canon u can use cheap 50mm 1.8 with auto focus

but if u get nikon cheap 50mm 1.8 wont auto focus on body like D3100 and D5100 the new AFS 50mm 1.8 will auto focus

Do u know Canon 50mm f1.8 uses micro motor to focus which is old technology and the auto focusing is noisy...try it before you buy. There is a new lens available from Canon 50mm and the price is slightly low 1K as compared to Nikon lens.

Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D is for DSLR with in built motor like the D90. It works on D5100/D3100 but will need MF.

Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8G is new lens for D3100/D5100. It uses silent motor for Focusing(AF).

SwiftLover

Broken In
great info swiftlover

Thanks! :) The more you read the more you will get confused. Go to the nearest Canon/Nikon Dealership and try out the Camera's....Buy the one youa re comfortable...don't go on Features and all...all DSLR has pros & Cons

Buy with 18-55mm kit lens first and once you are comfortable buy lens based on your requirement.

Hope this helps you!

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
Just checked the price list, found that there is no 50mm 1.8g (just wanted to check price in India against what I spent here :) ). Is this lens not yet launched in India?:shock:

Champ

.NET Guru
Hi Guys,
For Past days I am also in same dilemma (D5100 VS 550D)

I have made few observations, and would like to have Expert options on them.

Both D5100 & 550D are Excellent VFM cameras, and you can not go wrong with either of them.

Now once you buy Camera and play around with it and start getting bore.
You need lenses to expand your capabilities. And from here real differences start to emerge.

Now I am not considering third party lenses as not a single lens is available from
Tamron/Sigma with VC/OS in less than 20K (data source : FlipKart).

And believe me mortals like us, Do need such features with our shaky armature hands

First lense any Beginner would buy : A decent Teleporto.
Canon : EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS @12K
Nikon : AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR @18K

Difference 6K

As the time will progress you will realize importance of a good Prime
Canon : EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens @5.5K
Nikon : Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G @11.5 K

Difference 6K

Now every where I get to hear about Beginner Friendliness of Nikon but frankly speaking their entry level lens policy SUCK. :cry:

Initially I was really Impressed by Bigger Sensor of Nikon but consider above fact and Excellent S/W Bundle of Cannon (Like fully controlling your Camera from PC).
I am slowing tilting towards Cannon.

Experts, Your option...

SwiftLover

Broken In
Buying a DSLR is always a costly affair. If you need better quality u will need to spend more. Pls. go through the Links you will get answers to your Questions.

Recommended Cameras

Canon Lens

Nikkor Lens

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with your calculations..

U are looking at negative part of nikons..see the positive part

Nikon AFS 55-200 VR cost 11k
Nikon 35mm AFS cost 11k
Nikon AF 50mm 1.4 cost under 20

Now nikon 55-300 AFS have more range then canon 55-250 right...then y not compare canon with nikon 55-200 itself :)

BTW how much does canon 55-300 or something like that cost???

I agree cheap nikon 50mm 1.8 AFD can not autofocus with D5100 but people love to use it manually for taking amazing artistic pics

If u just want to autofocus every thing I think 18-55 is enough and use hight ISO indoor which is better in Nikons.

Bu anyways I like canon 550D very much for its features...but I am a nikonian now :D

SwiftLover

Broken In
Bro I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with your calculations..

U are looking at negative part of nikons..see the positive part

Nikon AFS 55-200 VR cost 11k
Nikon 35mm AFS cost 11k
Nikon AF 50mm 1.4 cost under 20

Now nikon 55-300 AFS have more range then canon 55-250 right...then y not compare canon with nikon 55-200 itself :)

BTW how much does canon 55-300 or something like that cost???

I agree cheap nikon 50mm 1.8 AFD can not autofocus with D5100 but people love to use it manually for taking amazing artistic pics

If u just want to autofocus every thing I think 18-55 is enough and use hight ISO indoor which is better in Nikons.

Bu anyways I like canon 550D very much for its features...but I am a nikonian now :D

I agree with you sujoyp. Here we are bothered about the Price but, ignore the quality of lens. Quality of lens is very important aspect...

vinaynoah

Right off the assembly line
Hi

I had the same delima but after extensive research I decided to go for Canon 550D. I liked the video capability of Canon 550D i.e 24fps (cinematic look), 30fps (Motion video) etc.

Most importantly canon provides the software with which I can control my camera through my laptop and get complete control over it.

I choose Canon 550D over Nikon 5100D is because the video recording with auto focus in Nikon is sluggish and I prefer manual control; at least for decent documentary shooting :).

Also the built in focus motor that supports wide range of lenses where nikon 3100D requires AF-S lenses only ;(

Top Bottom