NEWBEE here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
hello members,

I might be a older member on digit forum but my first ever post in OPEN SOURCE....i have not ever used or posted here in any thread :(...

i have searched forum for answers i want..but could get it...due to amazing seacrh engine .....:x

Look i have got SOLARIS 10 DVD shipped....but i know nothing....u can say i have to start from scratch....
I wanna how to instal it, any pre -requirements( soem site said it needs 4gb ram :confused:).....
I wanna knoe where i can learn solaris?

See actually i wann do DBA oracle..adn for that wanna learn oracle db management on solaris...so can anybody guide me through for this too....

waiting for replies.....

MY CONFIG
AMD 3000+
512mb ram
120gb sata

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
The only solaris user I know here is @yamaraj...u may PM him! Neways u can do ur stuff in linux too!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Solaris should run all right on your PC. No it doesn't required 4GB RAM. I wonder who said that and for what requirement.
Well I have myself not used solaris so can't say much but someone yesterday told me solaris needs 768MB of RAM for a good performance.
I don't think you will have much problems, I saw a demo of solaris, which ran on p4 3.0 GHz in vmware, on a machine which was running Vista with Aero effects on. 256MB of RAM was dedicated to solaris and it worked pretty smoothly with GUI.

Pathik

Google Bot
yea... even i m waitin for some1 to temme whether its worth the install...
cos i already hav mandriva+suse+xp... i dont want to whak my hdd more...

mediator

Technomancer
^Yea..even I'm thinking to try out something more when I'll have the time. I guess it will be *BSD on desktop instead on my VMWARE.

mehulved

pathiks I already said, in the other thread. Solaris is a very nice OS but it's more geared towards server so far. And it doesn't have all that apps that linux has, so far. But, it's getting better.
If you just want a desktop OS then I wonder why did you even bother ordering solaris in the first place.

mehulved

Yeah i will be buying a couple of DVD's today to clear out the iso's from my hard disk and make some space for solaris but alas can't give it much RAM :(

OP
wizrulz

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
even linux will do..i know nothing abt open source OS...:(

can anyone guide me thru to best/better linux and and things to go abt to learn it???

mediator

Technomancer
There's nuthing as best linux! It all depends on with which distro u get used to! So Pic up any popular distro, install it and start using it! Afterwards when ur excitement will increase then u'll urself start digging deeper!

Pathik

Google Bot
wizrulz said:
even linux will do..i know nothing abt open source OS...:(

can anyone guide me thru to best/better linux and and things to go abt to learn it???
my noobish advice...
start wit opensuse10.2 or even better .. mandriva 07
tgo fc6 is my personal favorite... :D

OP
wizrulz

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
aha got the requirement..:D

Minimum Hardware Requirements
Proper installation of Solaris 10 requires a SPARC-based or x64/x86-based system with:

Minimum of 256 MB of physical RAM (or 512 MB for PXE booting)
Minimum of 2 GB of available hard drive space
For SPARC platform-based processors, 250-MHz minimum
For x64- or x86-based processors, 120-MHz minimum
DVD or CD-ROM drive

SOURCE

mehulved

Yeah so your config should very well suffice. But, a friend told me that full install of solaris comes to around 8-9GB. So, if you plan on a full install atleast give 12-13GB cos you need a swap partition or some equivalent in solaris and also for data.

pathiks said:
my noobish advice...
start wit opensuse10.2 or even better .. mandriva 07
tgo fc6 is my personal favorite... :D
ahh all rpm distros.

Last edited:

mehulved

~Phenom~ said:
Is Solaris a type of Linux ????
Not at all

pathiks said:
^^ well i said it was my NOOBISH ADVICE :D .. Btw is solaris debian or rpm based??
Sun OS

wizrulz said:
can anyone guide me thru to best/better linux
What's that? I dunno anything like better/best in linux.
wizrulz said:
and and things to go abt to learn it???
Either install a linux distro or run knoppix live cd. And follow the stickies in this section. There are a lot of useful things there. tldp.org/guides.html has some great guides.

Last edited:
OP
wizrulz

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
tech_your_future said:
What's that? I dunno anything like better/best in linux.

i also dunno so asking..:D :D
tech_your_future said:
Either install a linux distro or run knoppix live cd. And follow the stickies in this section. There are a lot of useful things there. tldp.org/guides.html has some great guides.

is there any type in this too??? adn where can i get it/download it as its free....???

mehulved

There are too many types of linux. Just have a look around. There's a which linux thread running on the first page. There are a couple of links to linux distribution chooser's in the stickies. Read up on it and select a distro. If you are going to use a live cd, I'd recommend knoppix cos there's no match to it. But, live cd's are generally slower as they run from cd drive. But, there's no hassle of installing anything or messing anything up.
If you want to install linux then pick up any one whichever you feel like. All the major distributions are good. You can never know which one suits you unless you use it. If you ask different people you will get different answers. There's no common answer. People have different reasons to choose different distros. eg.
I like gentoo cos it let's me handle a lot of things manually and gives me control over what i want to go into my system and also I learn a lot more using gentoo. But, the fact that it needs to compile every single software,almost all actually, this puts off quite a few people. Also, many newbies find it too advanced for them.
Likewise, there are people who like fedora core and use it a lot. But, I find it too bloated and slow for myself.
All the distros are the same, just the difference is that they're either based on source, debian or rpm or there are a few variants coming up lately. Check the stickies for more info on this. But, you shouldn't bother much about this thing at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.