Nerevarine

Incarnate
1) He can use the transcend/zion ram on his H81 mobo as well
2) H81 has 2 slots only, very very bad incase u want to increase in the future.. Also OP has 4 sticks of RAM, 12GB of RAM will in the end is more beneficial than 8 GB of 1600 mhz memory.. Search it up
3) RAM failure is a lie, unless you can prove me wrong with a review , every kind of RAM has equal chances of failure.. Unless ofcourse, his current RAM is duplicate.. No one can predict X company is better than Y company because X products have lower failure rate in case of RAMs..
Most RAM failures occur because of PSU..
4) Warranty is an issue but selling his current RAM, then buying a more expensive piece of RAM which inturn decreases the total memory available is not the solution

Dont get me wrong, I myself hate Zion because every shopkeeper here keeps those but it is equally wrong to buy stuff that you arent going to get a benefit out of..
But I have been using a transcend DDR3 RAM for nearly 4 years without a single issue..

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if primary usage is virtual machines & photoshop then more the no. of physical cpu cores & ram,the better it is.amd has more cores(6 vs 4) & is cheaper but will require a cheap 2k graphics card.msi board seems good but don't know much about their after sales support quality.gigabyte & asus are also very good but a little bit costlier.

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
By getting Corsair 2x4GB RAM kit he can use H81 Mobo and Transcend & Zion RAM are susceptible to failure so its better to sell them now and buy the best RAM ie. Corsair Value Select.

It is not feasible for me to sell the RAM, I have already opened the seal. I will lose more money and time in finding a buyer, selling it.

- - - Updated - - -

*communities.intel.com/message/302470 slightly offtopic, but if I get a solution for this I'd be happy. I believe my motherboard and CPU is faulty, or the problem could be with the RAM stick. But it is unlikely, I bought two sticks of Transcend x 4GB because I believed the RAM is faulty. I tried running it with just the transcend stick but it did not work. So I am not exactly sure what the problem is, hence I decided to upgrade motherboard, PSU and CPU as a new upgrade will be better than repairing the dying machine. But if its possible to revive then that would be great!

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H should I go with this one?

- - - Updated - - -

Beware of cheating- Gigabyte makes new versions with lower specs
By Kunal Choksi on 31 December 2014
Verified Purchase
The product I received looked different from what is shown here. So I checked online and found that Gigabyte makes different versions of the same motherboard. The one I have received is of the new "revision" number which is missing important parts and features compared to the original model. There is no mention of the revision number on Amazon and even pictures were of original model when I purchased. The sticker where serial number and revision number is usually mentioned on the box is also covered with some other sticker. So there is no way to know what you get without opening the box. I don’t know who is more wrong here, Gigabyte for making new versions with lower specs and not highlighting in model name clearly or Amazon for not mentioning correct revision number but I definitely feel cheated as I ended up paying money for an inferior product.
Amazon.in: Buy Gigabyte B85M-D3H Intel ATX Motherboard USB 3.0, SATA 3 Online at Low Prices in India | Gigabyte Reviews & Ratings
What about this review?
Should I go with Gigabyte B85M-D3H? What is the general consensus about Intel motherboards?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think he is this same person,go through this thread as i have answered most of the queries & just for the info i always check official specs,in this case various versions of same mobo on gigabyte site first,for any missing/added feature instead of relying on flipokart description which everyone should do.:
*www.digit.in/forum/cpu-motherboard...ds3h-motherboard.html?highlight=parts+missing

also this is just my experience but i have lost 2 intel mobos in last 3 years to hardware failure & even without that they offer lesser features for same price as gigabyte/asus/msi mobo.i am currently using gigabyte mobo for 6 months now without any issues but only time will tell how it performs compared to intel ones.i don't recommend intel mobos unless you absolutely trust intel for whatever reason.

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
i think he is this same person,go through this thread as i have answered most of the queries & just for the info i always check official specs,in this case various versions of same mobo on gigabyte site first,for any missing/added feature instead of relying on flipokart description which everyone should do.:
*www.digit.in/forum/cpu-motherboard...ds3h-motherboard.html?highlight=parts+missing

also this is just my experience but i have lost 2 intel mobos in last 3 years to hardware failure & even without that they offer lesser features for same price as gigabyte/asus/msi mobo.i am currently using gigabyte mobo for 6 months now without any issues but only time will tell how it performs compared to intel ones.i don't recommend intel mobos unless you absolutely trust intel for whatever reason.
I agree, as I have also encountered a lot of trouble with Intel boards.
Thanks! So what mobo would you finally recommend for my configuration? I mean a specific model?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
unlike processors thee is much variety in mobos so i recommend searching based on price range & form factor followed by brand preference(usually asus>gigabyte>msi>asrock).look for features like usb 3 port header(for cabinets having front usb 3 ports),no. of pci/pci-e slots & their positions(from whatever i have seen almost all m-atx mobo have this issue where if you install a gfx card with big cooler/dual slot card(7770 is a cheap card which is dual slot) it will effectively block all pci-e slots(almost always 2) beneath it.same is the case with some sata ports on some mobo.

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
unlike processors thee is much variety in mobos so i recommend searching based on price range & form factor followed by brand preference(usually asus>gigabyte>msi>asrock).look for features like usb 3 port header(for cabinets having front usb 3 ports),no. of pci/pci-e slots & their positions(from whatever i have seen almost all m-atx mobo have this issue where if you install a gfx card with big cooler/dual slot card(7770 is a cheap card which is dual slot) it will effectively block all pci-e slots(almost always 2) beneath it.same is the case with some sata ports on some mobo.
Thanks!
I'm looking at
Asus B85M-G Motherboard. Probably that would work well for me!

- - - Updated - - -

The processor is almost Rs 1500 cheaper on TheItWares.com (Mumbai), and I live in Thane. Should I order from them?

Asus B85M-G
Antec 450P
Intel i5 4400

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
if primary usage is virtual machines & photoshop then more the no. of physical cpu cores & ram,the better it is.amd has more cores(6 vs 4) & is cheaper but will require a cheap 2k graphics card.msi board seems good but don't know much about their after sales support quality.gigabyte & asus are also very good but a little bit costlier.
GA 78LMT has onboard GPU if I remember correctly.

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Please suggest a PSU. Does Antec VP450P have some issues with noise? I want something which will not make a noise. Heard corsair PSUs are extremely quiet. Corsair 430v2 vs. Antec VP450P which one would produce the least noise?

Last edited:
OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I could have opted for AMD but then I read some reviews that multi core AMD is not good for single threaded applications, although it is awesome for multi-threaded. Anyway, I am not going to play high-end games either, so it should be fine for me. I just need it to run Ubuntu via VMWare, and I'll be using it only for basic software development so probably won't affect much.

Umm, I placed the order for
i5 4400, Antec VP 450P, and Asus B85M-G Motherboard. Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'll update this thread once I receive the parts. I ordered via Flipkart and they have already shipped it!

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
I could have opted for AMD but then I read some reviews that multi core AMD is not good for single threaded applications, although it is awesome for multi-threaded. Anyway, I am not going to play high-end games either, so it should be fine for me. I just need it to run Ubuntu via VMWare, and I'll be using it only for basic software development so probably won't affect much.

Umm, I placed the order for
i5 4400, Antec VP 450P, and Asus B85M-G Motherboard. Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'll update this thread once I receive the parts. I ordered via Flipkart and they have already shipped it!
Good purchase :)
FX 8320 would've been better but i5 4440 is good too :)
Do post pics :D

Top Bottom