New PC for Deep Machine Learning + Casual Gaming

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Hello folks,

One of my friends is in requirement for a new config which he would use for deep machine learning as well as some casual gaming (famous titles like CS GO, PUBG, COD etc.) I googled quite a bit but was confused as to some of the requirements like "tensor cores" in GPUs, not sure if those are absolutely necessary or not. So, here I am asking for help. Please suggest me a config if you are ABSOLUTELY SURE about the parts your are suggesting because this is gonna be a build for the long term and as I said, mainly for deep machine learning.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Deep Learning + Casual Gaming

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 40K (extension possible)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 + secondary Linux based OS for deep learning

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB HDD + SSD as the primary drive

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No. Already have a 17" TFT

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse are being re-used

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: By end of Jan 2021

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Ahmedabad. Online purchase possible if reliable.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Please suggest parts if only you are sure about the parts can handle the requirements. Thanks.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suggest waiting for lower-end RTX 3000 series GPUs. Because they will increase the deep learning performance you can get in this budget.

Why? Most people into deep learning actually spend a lot of money to get something very expensive like RTX 2080 Ti.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I suggest waiting for lower-end RTX 3000 series GPUs. Because they will increase the deep learning performance you can get in this budget.

Why? Most people into deep learning actually spend a lot of money to get something very expensive like RTX 2080 Ti.
Fair assessment. If you *really* want to make one now, something like the 1650 or 1630 would be in your budget, although I can't vouch for their ML performance.

Rest of the components you can go for an AMD Ryzen based cpu and motherboard combination.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."

Seems fair. Let's see what my friend thinks of it.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Fair assessment. If you *really* want to make one now, something like the 1650 or 1630 would be in your budget, although I can't vouch for their ML performance.

Rest of the components you can go for an AMD Ryzen based cpu and motherboard combination.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

I saw a video where someone specifically mentioned that 16xx series do not have something called "tensor cores" which are really helpful in deep learning. 20xx series are the ones to have that. No idea if these are very important.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I saw a video where someone specifically mentioned that 16xx series do not have something called "tensor cores" which are really helpful in deep learning. 20xx series are the ones to have that. No idea if these are very important.
Seems we can. There are articles that show setup and stuff. Installing TensorFlow, CUDA, cuDNN for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti onWindow 10

So definitely, Tensorflow, CUDA, etc should work. Full list: CUDA - Wikipedia

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, those are really helpful in machine learning. Low end GPUs are slow.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
OK Guys, so my friend would rather have a new system config now. He is not in favour of waiting for the new Ryzens. Can I have a config to pitch to him please? Thanks.

At 40k, it doesn't matter much what your usage is as your options are limited if you need a good CPU as well as GPU.

CPU - Intel i3 10100 - 9.9k

Mobo - MSI H410M Pro-VH - 5.6k (it has M.2 SSD slot)

RAM - 1x8GB DDR4 2666+MHz - 2.3k*

GPU - Any brand GTX 1650 - 12k**

SSD - Kingston A400 120GB 2.5″ - 1.8k

HDD - WD/Seagate 1TB 7200RPM - 3.2k

PSU - Gigabyte P550B 80+ Bronze - 3.5k

Cabinet - Zebronics Zeb-Mars - 2k

Monitor - Your

Total - 40.3k

*Get 2666MHz RAM but sometimes higher freq RAM is cheaper. Say a 3000MHz RAM will underclock & run at 2666.
** prefer Zotac GTX 1650S at 15k as its much superior to 1650 for a bit more money.

AMD Ryzen CPUs seem to be out of stock due to demand. Otherwise:
CPU - R3 3100 - 8.6k
Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 7.5k

Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores as well) for PC parts at a good price, sometimes even amazon.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Is the budget still same along with expected time to build the system(end of Jan 2021)? If yes then nothing much has changed.
@omega44-xt @SaiyanGoku
Nope. No changes.

At 40k, it doesn't matter much what your usage is as your options are limited if you need a good CPU as well as GPU.

CPU - Intel i3 10100 - 9.9k

Mobo - MSI H410M Pro-VH - 5.6k (it has M.2 SSD slot)

RAM - 1x8GB DDR4 2666+MHz - 2.3k*

GPU - Any brand GTX 1650 - 12k**

SSD - Kingston A400 120GB 2.5″ - 1.8k

HDD - WD/Seagate 1TB 7200RPM - 3.2k

PSU - Gigabyte P550B 80+ Bronze - 3.5k

Cabinet - Zebronics Zeb-Mars - 2k

Monitor - Your

Total - 40.3k

*Get 2666MHz RAM but sometimes higher freq RAM is cheaper. Say a 3000MHz RAM will underclock & run at 2666.
** prefer Zotac GTX 1650S at 15k as its much superior to 1650 for a bit more money.

AMD Ryzen CPUs seem to be out of stock due to demand. Otherwise:
CPU - R3 3100 - 8.6k
Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 7.5k

Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores as well) for PC parts at a good price, sometimes even amazon.

Thanks bro. The friend lives in Ahmadabad. I am guessing he will prefer local sourcing, but I will suggest these sites as well. Let's see what he goes for.