New gaming Rig, please suggest

jatin17

Broken In
Hi,

I want to upgrade my PC, old one is just about dead .

I have decided following, please suggest ..

AMD Phenom II X6 1090 3.2Ghz Black edition (10.9K)
Motherboard Not sure, please suggest a mid range one (5K-7K) with VGA port
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express (11K)

These are the 3 main components I want your opinion on ...
Also do I need a cooling mechanism ? I will rarely overclock ..

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
wait for i5 2500k(if you will oc otherwise - i5 2400) in india. will be here soon. 2400 is here. and what is the rest of the system config?

Jerin

Journeyman
Jatinji, please wait for i7 2600k and then buy !

If there is not much of difference then I think 2600k is the best !

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
If op can afford 2600k then its absolutely fine. But if it because of better on-die graphics, then i repeat that they are same in the entire range. Only 2600k has a slightly higher turbo frequency of the gpu.

Jerin

Journeyman
Vickyji is right in a way if you can afford go for 2600k , otherwise I feel 2500k is best bet.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Jerin if wont overclock what will he do with k.? Instead spending the rest on gpu makes more sense. 6870 can be bought with 2400.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
If the op wants a k processor then he has to go for a p67 board and not h67 because only p67 supports cpu overclocking.

Jaskanwar is right , no need to go for a k if there's no overclocking plans. Save up and buy a good discrete gpu to fully utilise the sandybridge processor.

OP
J

jatin17

Broken In
wait for i5 2500k(if you will oc otherwise - i5 2400) in india. will be here soon. 2400 is here. and what is the rest of the system config?

How much i5 2500k will cost ? If you can give me some motherboards for it (max 8k Rs)

Also rest of system which I am planning :
4GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200RPM (Already Own)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express OR 6870
As I am not sure of CPU O have not selected the motherboard

If the op wants a k processor then he has to go for a p67 board and not h67 because only p67 supports cpu overclocking.

Jaskanwar is right , no need to go for a k if there's no overclocking plans. Save up and buy a good discrete gpu to fully utilise the sandybridge processor.

Its not that I don't like overclocking, I would prefer it, but it will require cooling mechanism right ??

I saw intel website for i5 2500k ... whats the difference between 2500s, 2500, 2500k ?
Looks good ... but
AMD provides 6 cores v/s intels 4 (with HT, i5 dont have it)
Anyway I will have a discrete GPU so whats need for an embedded one ? Will the intels embedded GPU will have a good performance stand alone ?
Please can you clear my doubts ?

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Those amd 6 core cpu's are no match for sandybridge 4 cores even without hyperthreading. Intel cores pack more punch. Amd will counterattack with its bulldozer processors.

2500s is a lower tdp model and performs a bit less and consumes lot lesser power.
2500 is standard model with locked multiplier.
2500k has unlocked multiplier and can be overclocked like crazy with a good custom cooler.

As of the current situation, prefer sandybridge i5 or i7 cpu's instead of any amd x6 processors.

rajan1311

Padawan
Well, in most games, you will barely see much difference due to the processor....so lets not really argue upon that. Get any, you will be happy :)

Top Bottom