Networking in Virtualisation!! need help!!

Sudhir

Broken In
hey guys,

I'm so frustrated about sharing Guest OS(XP) files with Host OS(Win 7) via virtual network adapter!! As I'm new to networking so please help!!

I want to setup a connection between Host Operating system and Guest Operating system, in which files can be shared from both sides, like a homegroup, workgroup and etc. But this is to be done via Virtual Network Adapter offered by VirtualBox, as making bridge between Guest OS Network Adapter and Host OS physical adapter is one solution but i think will eat up my bandwidth while sharing files, so please help!!! i'm using VirtualBox for Virtualisation!!

Please give appropriate solution!!!

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well I haven't used sharing thing in Virtual Box, but there's a option called Shared Folder which allows us to select a folder in Host OS, which works as shared folder between Guest OS and Host OS.

I haven't tried this thing personally, so you can try this thing instead of making it complicated.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well I haven't used sharing thing in Virtual Box, but there's a option called Shared Folder which allows us to select a folder in Host OS, which works as shared folder between Guest OS and Host OS.

Yes, shared folder is the best way to transfer files between real and virtual OS. In Virtual PC we have to install an add-on after installing the virtual OS (Option is there in the menu). And then it works flawlessly.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Follow these steps
1)install guest addition (Run VMs in full screen by pressing left Ctrl+F)
Devices->install guest addition.
2)Then again go to Devices->Shared folder->Machine Folder->Others->Select system download folder(which is generally under your name)
3)Check auto mount and make it permanent.
4)Go to win 7 explorer.
5)Go to map network drive.(It will show you network discovery is off)
6)Go to control panel->Network And Internet->View network status and task->Change advance sharing settings->Turn on sharing options on both Home and public networks.
7)Go to win 7 explorer->map network drive-> select system download folder->click ok.
8)Restart VM you will find a shared folder in VM.

Regarding Adapter select host only adapter.

OP
S

Sudhir

Broken In
thnxx guys for your reply!! i'll make a common host only adapter so it shows both OS in the network buy in win xp when i click on win 7 network it ask some authentication!!

kisame

King of Heroes
thnxx guys for your reply!! i'll make a common host only adapter so it shows both OS in the network buy in win xp when i click on win 7 network it ask some authentication!!
You will have to enter your username and password of win 7 user account for access.

Top Bottom