Netscape: End of an era

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
hmm...during that time,in Coimbatore Gandhipuram,RS puram areas there are lot and lots of "internet browsing centres"(not intnt cafe!) that may be a reason.also remember's in 1999? approx there is this ISDN thing launched too!and every centre is advertising the speeds like 64kbps speed etc :rolleyes:
and am very shameful to remember,at that time,in Kochi(cochin)-there were only few net parlours and dont know their rate at that time.

ahh!thanks for refreshing my memory(ctrl+shift+r) ;)

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
hmm...during that time,in Coimbatore Gandhipuram,RS puram areas there are lot and lots of "internet browsing centres"(not intnt cafe!) that may be a reason.also remember's in 1999? approx there is this ISDN thing launched too!and every centre is advertising the speeds like 64kbps speed etc :rolleyes:
and am very shameful to remember,at that time,in Kochi(cochin)-there were only few net parlours and dont know their rate at that time.

ahh!thanks for refreshing my memory(ctrl+shift+r) ;)

I learnt using a computer back in 99 when I was in calss 9.I used to go to a cybercafe cycling almost for 30 mins and the rates were around rs 60-70/hour. I didnt use netscape then,it was all IE

Then in 2001 I bought my first p3 rig..Got netscape with the modem cd..installed it..and loved it..specially the mail client...performance was better than IE4or 5 (I dont remember) but still used IE mainly

In 2003 I bougth my second AMD Athlon rig..it was much faster and powerful..and netscape was almost gone as Mozilla suite was taking over.Started using it but forund it a bit heavy..s continued with IE till I discovered the beautiful opera...

in 2004 or 2005 I started using Firefox full time.

So it was never netscape for me..But arguably Netscape was one of the greatest softwere of all time...Its sad to watch its silent demise

Netscape...R.I.P

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
The first time i logged into the Internet it was using Netscape Navigator.

Well, one thing's for sure, it'll be always remembered for letting MS give IE for free :)

jvijay86

Broken In
i bought my first comp in 1999 ...i used dishnet diap up service in chennai, the rate was lik the first hour was free, rs 10 per hour from the second hour + telephone charges...

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
oh that's so sad... I've used netscape for such a time! Sniff sniff
during that time, netscape was the best, but i switched to firefox for some time last year...

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
sad to hear that
Netscape was the browser for geeks till firefox

i remember myself using Netscape in 2000 and i used to enjoy it !!

VexByte

Norms Buster
I started using the internet in 1999. Those were the days of dial-up connection cyber cafes where a 56 kpbs (supposedly :) ) line would be shared by ten PCs. It would take an hour for me to open *www.eudoramail.com, check my mail, reply and logout. An hour cost Rs. 70/- those days. If you used internet explorer and the connection dropped or was too slow, you would be left with a silly refresh page and no way of getting back what you sat and typed for 5 or 10 minutes. That was the time I used Netscape, initially Netscape communicator, and later Netscape 4.75 which was a suite consisting of browser, composer and an email client. The beauty of netscape was that it never threw a silly refresh page at you if the connection dropped, just a pop up windows saying failed to connect to server with an ok button. you could continue from where you stopped once the internet connection was re-established. This is something Microsoft hasn't learned to incorporate in their browser, you still get that silly refresh page in the current versions of internet explorer, I guess they have patented it ;)
What's the problem with error pages(in lieu of dialog box) ?

din

Tribal Boy
Remebering the old days ..

Netscape, I will miss you !!

Back in 1999 I think, it was not possible for us (students in IBM) to download netscape, and only browser was IE. Digit CD contained (Digit was CHIP then) it, but we were not supposed to use CDs there !!

Finally got a split software, and cut Netscape to 10 or 12 pieces. Copied into floppy. Took about a week to get it there. Finally joined it, copied to all PCs out there and we were so happy !!!

Rohan, Netscape is not an imitation of FF. Netscape was there long back, I think even before IE ?

I remember in 1999, almost all netcafes here in Cochin had netscape, and in some cafes, that was the default browser !

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Split.. ah Din... you've revived old memories!! I've used and struggled and waited a lot to transfer software from one location to another!

Netscape is an old hat. In fact Netscape was going strong and was a paid browser, until IE 3.0 entered the scene. Win95 came bundled with IE. So netscape eventually had to make it a free download.

It was going strong till ver.4.7. After it started using the Gecko engine (which firefox also uses), it seemed heavy. Longtime users, including me, slowly started looking elsewhere; their obvious choice was opera again which was not free;

It was sold to AOL. Some of the guys came outta it and started working on Phoenix, a fork of Netscape with gecko engine which is now known as Firefox. Netscape is not an imitation of FF. Netscape and FF almost come from the same family.

anand1

In the zone
This is what i got while searching their official site. We can still have the look of Netscape in Mozilla by downloading an Add on. Here is the general Faq's which was there published on their site. Really a shocking news.....!

Q: What will this mean?
A: We'll continue to release security patches for the current version of the browser, Netscape Navigator until February 1, 2008. After February 1, there will be no more active product support for Navigator 9, or any previous Netscape Navigator browser. This includes Netscape v1-v4.x, Netscape v6, Netscape v7 Suite, Netscape Browser v8, and Netscape Navigator/Messenger 9.

Q: I use Netscape now. Now that Netscape is stopping support, what do I do?
A: The Netscape Team fully stands behind the fine work being done by the Mozilla Foundation. We recommend that you download Mozilla Firefox and give it a try. We know you'll enjoy it!

Q: Will I still be able to use Netscape?
A: You will still be able to download old versions of Netscape from the Netscape Archive (link coming). However, these products are no longer supported. Our recommendation for the nostalgic out there is to download Mozilla Firefox, and add on the Netscape theme and Netscape extensions which are available here:

*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/56836

This way you'll have a current web browser that is very secure, and has the look and feel you have grown accustomed to with Netscape.

Q: Will anyone be around to answer my questions?
A: The following sites will continue to exist and offer information about Netscape after February 1, 2008: The UFAQ (*www.ufaq.org/), the Netscape Archive, the Netscape Community Forum (*community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-nscpbrowser&redirCnt=1).

Please bear in mind that no active product support will be available.

Q: Does this mean that Netscape is dead?
A: While we will no longer support the Netscape web browser as of February 1, 2008, Netscape.com (*www.netscape.com) will still continue to serve as a general use Internet portal.

Source>>

Status
Not open for further replies.