Netgear PCI wireless adpater problem - Getting disconnected - Any suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
I recently bought 2 Netgear PCI type wireless adapters. Model WG311GE. The connectivity is lost, like after every 2 or 3 hrs. The speed shows 1 MBps and signal strength is -low.My wireless router is Linksys WRT 54G. When I reset the security to - NO- and then again change it back to WPA-PSK(TKIP), it works again ! The signal strength will come back to Excellent and speed shows as 54 MBps.

I set the WPA-PSK(TKIP) in wireless adapter software the same as my router password. Does it has something like duration ? Like after 2 hrs it will expire or so ? But can't see any such settings in the software interface though.

This is some problem with the hardware /software ? Or just something I am doing wrong ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Tho I've never faced this problem however, there is a setting for Group Key Renewal peried. Mebbe you can try changing that to a high value. Just logon to your router and try changing it in the Wireless > Wireless Security Page.

mediator

Technomancer
I heard of this problem but never encountered it practically. Looks like some driver problem to me. Try updating to latest drivers! I guess this is the page.

Edit:
Also check this out!
*forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/371201.html

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thanks a lot for the quick replies.

I just called my cousin whos working in teh shop from where I bought Netgear adapter. He said he will manage it, will take it back and will give Linksys instaed. Have to pay extra as Linksys is price is high, but I think thats better, as the router is also of Linksys.

Will have to wait till Monday, will keep you updated.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
@din please check to see whether the following two links from the Netgear support forum can be of any help.

*forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=1132
*forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=10910

Insofar as Wireless networking is concerned it is always preferable to go in for the equipments from the same manufacturer, to avoid interoperability issues.( I did not adhere to this philosophy though:lol: . I have a Netgear WG834G and a Dlink DWL - G 122 USB wireless adapter, but before buying this I made sure that the D-link adapter is "Wi-Fi" certified. I did not have any problems with the set up. Wireless equipments are wi-fi certified only if they pass interoperability tests.Again this is one reason why people should stay away from the current breed of Wireless N devices coz it is still in the draft stage and Wi-fi certification will take place only when the N standards are finalised.--slightly off topic but I just wanted to repeat what I have already said elsewhere in this forum just to increase the awareness :) )

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@Ponmayilal

Thank you very much. I checked those links but I do not think thats the issue.

But I strongly belive what you said is correct, I mean better to have router and wireless adapter of same brand / company. Mostly I will get Linksys, hope it will solve all issues.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^ If you get Linksys adaptors in all your computers with your linksys router then setting up Wireless security is the easiest thing in the world! Just fire up the Linksys config utility (bundled with linksys wifi adaptors) on your windows machines and press the SES button on the router. It will automatically generate a Key, pass it on to all adaptors and configure everything by itself! :)

You just need to give in the IP. The whole security issue is handled by SES system.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@infra_red_dude

Cool. That will be great.

I really hope they will take the netgear adapter back on monday and give me linksys instead.

Will keep my fingers crossed ...

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, I got the money back for the netgear. Went to Linksys dealer, they had only 1 adapter in stock, will get one more tomo or so.

Connected the adapter in one PC and it is really cool. Working perfectly, no problems at all and signal strength excellent.

Happy its working fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom