Netbooks hit all time low in prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys! you GOT to check these stuff out.

ASUS EEE PC 904HA with 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 9" screen and Windows XP Home available for 353$ on amazon.com.

*www.amazon.com/904HA-8-9-Inch-Netb...ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1228906439&sr=1-5

And some strange notebook which is not even a PC, but an Alpha ARM based computer, is available for 170$ on geeks.com.

*www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ALPHA-400&cat=NBB

All this while we Indians still bear with stunningly high prices for all electronic commodities, with the only possible exceptions being storage media like DVD Drives, HDDs, FlashDrives and RAM.

Doesn't it seem unfair ?

INS-ANI

In the zone
Laptop prices are anyway gonna come down. Recently i came across a circular on my dad's file, which said his company is offering Latitude E5400,Lenovo R400 and HP 6530b for 45k.
all of these three model come with C2D P8400,4GB RAM,250HD.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I thinkl the retailers are making exploiting the situation and charging extra high profits. Ultimately the crashing prices will show in India too. These companies are in trouble abroad.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^^ People are restricting purchases in US right now. Economy is in recession. Hence the price has to be lowered as US is the main market. Here, it doesnt make much difference.

Thats what it is, as far as I understand.

>>>>>>>> This is freakin' aweSOME!! <<<<<<<<
And some strange notebook which is not even a PC, but an Alpha ARM based computer, is available for 170$ on geeks.com.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
^^ That's right. The Thanksgiving sale this year was pretty pathetic compared to previous years. Most people just aren't ready to splurge the dough on something that isn't absolutely essential. But it's funny how the same families jump with glee at the thought of munching on a $5 burger enriched with BP-enhancing lard.

amitava82

MMO Addict
keep expecting. As if price cut in computer industry is something extraordinary.

BTW, I had a 10inch 6cell Wind for $340. Big deal for that ASUS.. lol

IronManForever

NucleusKore said:
Hmmm I bought eeepc 1000H for 28500 last week
The price you paind, I think its a bit on the higher side. Maybe the same US$-getting-stronger thing?

=> Could you put up a short review in the Review section?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I really do not know about the eeebox, will ask

Now as for a review, let's see. I bought it last week and switched it on yesterday. Was to busy with my work and trying to get the linux packages online in time :S

I just registered the Windows XP today, and backed up the system drive using Drive Image XML Recovery. It can shadow a system partition even when it is in use !! It has a 160 GB hard disk (not SSD) partitioned as 80 GB C:, 30 odd GB D: and a 38 GB EFY partition. Fortunately they had the sense to put the EFY partition at the end, so I can safely delete it without messing up the boot record or boot.ini

Am downloading eeeUbuntu now; will finish the formalities and then post the review ;)

We are all waiting :p

BTW, please also try Sabayon Xfce EEE Boot. The Sabayon "pod" edition has such an option, while the sabayon main edition has a KDE EEE Boot.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Well I just installed the standard edition of Ubuntu 8.10.
Most of the stuff works out of the box. WiFi doesn't. There are fixes here but I do not have an access point to test. Function keys to control volume and WiFi don't work but fixes are mentioned here; haven't tried them yet. Other function keys work fine.

Nothing to review. Good netbook, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Comes preloaded with Windows XP SP3, nothing special. One point to note, in Windows, there is an icon for the intel graphics driver in the system tray. I opened it to have a look, and then closed it by clicking x in the top right hand corner, just as we do for any program. That gave me a BSOD and the system rebooted. After the reboot I did the error reporting when asked, and the fix page I was taken to was a Microsoft page which advises to check that the correct drivers are installed and update if necessary. That was the last I touched that icon !!!

IronManForever

NucleusKore said:
I opened it to have a look, and then closed it by clicking x in the top right hand corner, just as we do for any program. That gave me a BSOD and the system rebooted.
Despite the fact that Windows is famous for BSODs; I never got such stupid errors. Surely a driver problem. :neutral:

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
did you try using NDIS wrapper for wireless devices, using t u can use Windows drivers on linux, but stability is not guaranteed...

NucleusKore

TheSaint
News Update: Acer drops the price of Aspire One

*tech2.in.com/india/news/laptops/acer-drops-price-of-aspire-one/54491/0

It was only recently that we had reviewed Acer’s Aspire One netbook and come away fairly impressed with its performance. Though there have been many releases, the Aspire One has clearly been our favorite choice among netbooks. Now this deal has just gotten sweeter. Acer has now dropped the price of the Aspire One netbook to just Rs. 17,499+taxes.

Read On.........

IronManForever

^ Thanks. But I do wish we had more of Flash-Storage based netbooks. Thats what they should be like, robust portability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom