Nehalem also has a TLB bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
We were pointed out that Intel's Nehalem, the CPU that we know as Core i7 has TLB. TLB, three letters that have destroyed the sales of Phenom and Opterons based on 65nm K10 cores stands for Translation Lookaside Buffer and Intel officialy states in its Intel Core i7 Processor, Extreme Edition Series and Intel Core i7 Processor - Specification Update PDF that the CPU has a TLB bug.

If you open Intel’s official document that is nicely stored here, on page 37 AAJ1 Clarification of TRANSLATION LOOKASIDE BUFFERS (TLBS) Invalidation part, you will see that Intel tells that in some rare cases improper TLB invalidation may result in unpredictable system behaviour and can hang your OS or result with incorrect data. Here is the word to word "In rare instances, improper TLB invalidation may result in unpredictable system behavior, such as system hangs or incorrect data. Developers of operating systems should take this documentation into account when designing TLB invalidation algorithms. For the processors affected, Intel has provided a recommended update to system and BIOS vendors to incorporate into their BIOS to resolve this issue."

We are not sure if you should be concerned, but such a thing completely destroyed K10’s reputation and we will certainly do a bit more investigating about it, and ask Intel for a comment. We would like to thank one of our readers for the tip.

Source

We are not sure if you should be concerned, but such a thing completely destroyed K10’s reputation and we will certainly do a bit more investigating about it, and ask Intel for a comment. We would like to thank one of our readers for the tip.
This is not like K10. K10 was already having little potential, and it released late, that too WITH a TLB bug.

But Core i7 is different. Its THE strongest CPU in the market today, and its also THE most advanced thing available.

Now AMD roadmaps say that the 45nm AMD Bulldozer will be designed to compete with Nehalem, while Intel will be happily showing off its 32nm Sandy Bridge CPUand Larrabe GP-GPU when Bulldozer arrives. And AMD Fusion has also been pushed back to bulldozer era because AMD didn't find anything significant in joining an RV710 or RV810 core to a Deneb core. So Intel will be the first company to come out with a GPU-on-die-of-a-cpu system. AMD's Spider platform is the only way to enjoy 4-way CrossFireX while gamers prefer Intel, and AMD's Linux GPU support is still not upto the mark, both potentially reducing their GPU sales by a small amount. Things don't look good for AMD at all.

OP
4T7

4T7

Journeyman
This is not like K10. K10 was already having little potential, and it released late, that too WITH a TLB bug.

But Core i7 is different. Its THE strongest CPU in the market today, and its also THE most advanced thing available.

Now AMD roadmaps say that the 45nm AMD Bulldozer will be designed to compete with Nehalem, while Intel will be happily showing off its 32nm Sandy Bridge CPU and Larrabe GP-GPU when Bulldozer arrives. And AMD Fusion has also been pushed back to bulldozer era because AMD didn't find anything significant in joining an RV710 or RV810 core to a Deneb core. So Intel will be the first company to come out with a GPU-on-die-of-a-cpu system. AMD's Spider platform is the only way to enjoy 4-way CrossFireX while gamers prefer Intel, and AMD's Linux GPU support is still not upto the mark, both potentially reducing their GPU sales by a small amount. Things don't look good for AMD at all.

We'll see about that when phenom II is released

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Phenom II wont be faster than Core i7..
If Intel brings down the price or i7 920 to somewhere around 200-250$, then Deneb is dead..
Anyone with a good motherboard can overclock the 920 and make it faster than the i7 940(stock).. So the competition is tough... Lets see if Deneb beats the older Quad Cores that were available..

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
AMD is changing his marketing strategy its happen with nivida thinking AMD launching 400-500 stream processor in next GPU but when AMD introduces 800 they sock not able to do any thing wait nd watch who going to die this time is changing.

forever

filth is me
*techreport.com/discussions.x/15979

Fudzilla ought to be taken with a pinch of salt. Spreads nothing but fuds :p

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
lol, reminds me of my OS classes :rolleyes:

+1 Yeah LOL !
TLB ! MMU ! Page Table ! Paging ! Virtual Address ! TLB Algorithms ! TLB Hit ! TLB Miss !
Few months back it was teh Computer Architecture Exam !I
And now its Operating System exam in few weeks !!

amitash

Intel OCer
For the processors affected, Intel has provided a recommended update to system and BIOS vendors to incorporate into their BIOS to resolve this issue."

As a BIOS update seems to fix this, im not worried yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom