Need to purchase a PCI LAN Card

ithehappy

Human Spambot
My motherboard's built in Ethernet port is dead due to a thunderstorm which took place 2 days back, I'll try to repair it, but if cost is not suitable for me I'll buy a LAN card. Could you guys please suggest me one?

The motherboard is a Asus SABERTOOTH, based on X58 chipset, and my bloody 970 takes a huge amount of space inside my very small CM 690 Plus cabinet, so size might be an issue, or not, can't say really. Please look at the photo (the GPU is not attached though in that and don't mind the heavy dust), Dropbox - 20160320_083908.jp

Don't wanna spend much at all, but at the same time those cheap Enter-Exit companies are out of question.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

singh_dd93

Journeyman
Check this card on ebay PCI Express Gigabyte LAN Card 10 100 1000M Ethernet Card LAN Card | eBay

I purchased 3 of them for my old server and they are working very good till now (approx 7months in use).

Hrishi

Does Apple makes Ethernet cards ? I think they ship with thunderbolt lighting ports...which are safe from lightning.
Get the Apple one.
haha

Check this.
Check this out on Flipkart!
D-Link DGE-528T 32 bit 10/100/1000Base-T PCI Adapter Network Interface Card - D-Link : Flipkart.com
Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does Apple makes Ethernet cards ? I think they ship with thunderbolt lighting ports...which are safe from lightning.
Get the Apple one.
haha

Check this.
D-Link DGE-528T 32 bit 10/100/1000Base-T PCI Adapter Network Interface Card - D-Link : Flipkart.com

lol, they are different type of ports like USB or HDMi ports. Nothing about Lighting / Thunderbolt protection.

[MENTION=99398]ithehappy[/MENTION] - from the image you posted I think you better go for a pci-e x1 lan card instead of pci lan card - if you are using the gfx card on pci-e x16 number 1 slot.
Amazon.in: Buy TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter Online at Low Prices in India | TP-Link Reviews & Rating

But for better protection buy a wireless router and a usb wifi dongle.
Amazon.in: Buy Tenda N301 Wireless N300 Easy Setup Router (White) Online at Low Prices in India | Tenda Reviews & Rating
Tenda W311M N150 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (Grey) - Buy Tenda W311M N150 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (Grey) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.i

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Thanks guys, TG. Done.

uploadfromtaptalk1458644885580.jpg

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Get the Apple one.

haha

Check this.

The Thunderbolt port is a proprietary port just like USB for mac/ios devices only .. No such thing as lightning protection dude

- - - Updated - - -

lol, they are different type of ports like USB or HDMi ports. Nothing about Lighting / Thunderbolt protection.

[MENTION=99398]ithehappy[/MENTION] - from the image you posted I think you better go for a pci-e x1 lan card instead of pci lan card - if you are using the gfx card on pci-e x16 number 1 slot.
Amazon.in: Buy TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter Online at Low Prices in India | TP-Link Reviews & Rating

But for better protection buy a wireless router and a usb wifi dongle.
Amazon.in: Buy Tenda N301 Wireless N300 Easy Setup Router (White) Online at Low Prices in India | Tenda Reviews & Rating
Tenda W311M N150 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (Grey) - Buy Tenda W311M N150 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (Grey) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.i

Whats wrong with this
PCI Express Gigabyte LAN Card 10 100 1000M Ethernet Card LAN Card | eBay

I ordered one too, and it's PCI Express x1, just like the one you posted but half the price

Hrishi

You guys didn't check the spoiler :(. Joke phail :(

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Whats wrong with this

I ordered one too, and it's PCI Express x1, just like the one you posted but half the price

Planing to make your own custom router?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Thunderbolt port is a proprietary port just like USB for mac/ios devices only .. No such thing as lightning protection dude

- - - Updated - - -

Whats wrong with this

nothing, may be I've not searched ebay before posting here but not all are very comfortable to buy from ebay - besides there's no brand / warranty mentioned there which Tp Link has and it's a very well known brand with good quality product.

Warranty and brand name apart sometime cheap lan cards don't use very good quality components - saying this from experience of using zebronics and Tenda lan card. Tenda lan cards pcb and quality of components are way better than zebronics.

You can grab some really good delas from ebay if the seller sends right product and many people have bought it but for those who want to play safe amazon is a better place specially with amazon fulfilled products.

singh_dd93

Journeyman
I agree with topgear that many people are afraid of buying from eBay.
But I had many problems with TP-Link LAN Cards and in the end I replaced all 4 of them from my server and I am relieved. I used to get a lot of packet drops and during the high traffic the network used to get jammed up. Never had this problem with cards from eBay even though they use same Realtek chip.

Just sharing my experience.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
What Top Gear said, quality of components obviously, then no warranty, what will you do if that card stops working after say a year? I don't like TP Link myself, but it at least has 3 year warranty! Buying from eBay was nothing, have bought most items from eBay only!

Don't know why so many times nowadays the obvious have to be mentioned!

Top Bottom