Need suggestions to buy DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Charan said:
Check with Philips DVP 5965.. You can switch the resolution on the fly , plays most of the format. supports upto 1080i and also has a USB port. Downside is that its costs 5K :(.
Thats still a affordable price.When I initially got my DVP 5950 model it costed me around 4.5k & back then the DVP 5965 was around 7k or 8k.If you need a normal Divx compatible player then go in for the Philips DVP5950 one.It has a great Divx compatibility including Xvid & raw SVCD & VCD files.I have had it for 9 months now & no issues whatsoever.:)

OP
G

gulgulumaal

Broken In
ashnik said:
it must be this one...

*www.futurebazaar.com/b2c_futurebazaar/b2c/zmenuHandling.do?query_star=600108367&category=*&x=20&y=5&query=600108367*&min=0&max=0&min1=&max1=&refsite=internalmailer_11&adunit=homepage&channel=mailer

2 day, I went 2 BigBazaar and saw it in real..but could not gt the demo as I was in hurry...
but at 1499 it is a steal...with 6 months warranty..
BTW there r no details abt DIVX versions supported in the manual.

gugulunaal,
what do u think of the quality? will it last?

Yes ashnik, the link you gave is correct..that is the same model I purchased. I dont have any snaps right now. But the pic in the link you gave is exactly the way it looks.

Build quality seems surprisingly good for a 1.5k player. Tray mechanism is quite good and sturdy, and overall it has a good fit and finish. Only prob I faced was that the video through the component video output had a slight ghosting effect. Not sure if it's a prob with the player or my TV. Never used the component input in my TV before. Normal composite video output was perfect. No probs.

Praks, I'm not sure whether it supports USB hard disks. It supports all the flash drives I tried. I was also able to connect my 4GB iPod mini (in hard dsk mode) thru USB and the player was able to play all the mp3 and video files on the HDD.

I dont think if it plays wma/asf. I had some wmv videos in one of my folders, but they were not even detected. But it plays DivX and xVid for sure. I've tried playing all kinds of divx and xvid files and all of them worked perfectly. Only problem I saw was that if the bitrate of the video was very high(very high quality videos), then there was a slight pixellation. Maybe the processor is not able to decode it fast enough. But no problem, the video plays well enough to be watched.

Overall I am extremely happy with the player :)

Last edited:

rahulkharade

Right off the assembly line
Hey! can u tell me on which outlet did u see this player. I am also planning to buy this one.

desai_amogh

In the zone
Do not go for Philips. I have Philips DVP 3046 and after 6 months of purchasing as the warranty ended, the player stopped reading DivX discs. The service center took 1k for changing the laser head.

my roommate got this model.. its Remote control sucks.. u have to literraly press 3 keys just to increase/decrease the volume .. & other features also have the same wierd interface ...
The remote control keys r very Hard & u at times endup clicking them 2-3 times to get them clicked ..

arunks

Hey here is the aks
arunks said:
what is the use of usb port in dvd player?..

is it a portable one.?
i mean is it with a screen or without screen?
what is its price with or without??

where can i buy it in my city i.e. patiala??

what is minimum cost of portable type dvd player and quality?

what is price of VIdeocon DTH DVD player??????????/

rahulkharade

Finally bought same (passion) player from big bazar mumbai @ Rs. 1399.
& checked following formats through usb.
mp3,wma,mpg,mpeg,avi,divx......
all formats are playing through usb......
after then i made a data dvd of same formats.but it not is supported that dvd & not a single file played.all these formats can play through usb port only.
All dvds (actual original dvds of movies) are playing without any problem.
its a region free. & region code is given in manual with how to chenge the region information.

OP
G

gulgulumaal

Broken In
desai_amogh said:
my roommate got this model.. its Remote control sucks.. u have to literraly press 3 keys just to increase/decrease the volume .. & other features also have the same wierd interface ...
The remote control keys r very Hard & u at times endup clicking them 2-3 times to get them clicked ..

You are talking abt the Philips model right ?

rahulkharade said:
Finally bought same (passion) player from big bazar mumbai @ Rs. 1399.
& checked following formats through usb.
mp3,wma,mpg,mpeg,avi,divx......
all formats are playing through usb......
after then i made a data dvd of same formats.but it not is supported that dvd & not a single file played.all these formats can play through usb port only.
All dvds (actual original dvds of movies) are playing without any problem.
its a region free. & region code is given in manual with how to chenge the region information.

Hey I'm able to play data DVDs containing avi files (DivX and xVid). Are u sure u got the same model ?
In Big bazaar, they had an earlier model of Passion DVD player on display (test piece) with older firmware. That had some problems in recognizing some formats. Hope u havent bought the old model.

Last edited:

bonny72

Broken In
Dear users , last week i went bigbazar, i saw PASSION DVD PLAYER only Rs.1399. i tested it with USB pen drive and DVD with all format video.
*www.futurebazaar.com/b2c_futurebazaar/b2c/zmenuHandling.do?query_star=600108367&category=*&x =20&y=5&query=600108367*&min=0&max=0&min1=&max1=&r efsite=internalmailer_11&adunit=homepage&channel=m ailer
By look it is good, finishing it like branded dvd player, doesn't look like chines player, size is like Phillips 3166. it is only 1.8kg. front side four buttons open, play, ff, bw , back side it has all ports like standard DVD player has. it is true 5.1 DVD player, It has progressives Scan returns on it but i think when i played some low resolution video' i can clearly seen pixels, well in Rs.1399 it is best dvd player, i played lots of movies, even DVDs are working fine, and it has 6months warranty too,

List file format it supported.

DivX yes
Xvid yes
MP4 No (i tried two times, again i will try, if it will work i will let you know )
MPEG4 with AVI extension yes
MP3 yes
Jpeg yes
WMA yes
WMV no
MPG yes
DVD yes

USB port can play all above files , I tested with 1GB pen drive,
I also tested with USB HDD (2.5 seagate 80GB) it is not working with it.
i also tested with USB 3.5" seagate 160GB HDD , it is not working , it is just saying " waiting " but after 2 min , no positive results.
i used to download lots of movies from torrents sites, all English and Hindi, and i am very happy that all my movies are working in this player, i suggest everyone here to buy this player because it has all futures like Phillips player and it comes with 6 months warranty

casual_gamer

In the zone
List file format it supported.

DivX yes
Xvid yes
MP4 No (i tried two times, again i will try, if it will work i will let you know )
MPEG4 with AVI extension yes
MP3 yes
Jpeg yes
WMA yes
WMV no
MPG yes
DVD yes
USB port can play all above files , I tested with 1GB pen drive
someone here mentioned that this player plays only a few formats on a dvd disc(mostly video files) compared to above formats on a pen drive. is it true? is it possible to put all the above format files on dvd disc and let us know?

krm29us

hi friends,
Please suggust a 5.1 channel DVD Player which has all the features ...

it should support all the formats like
Xvid / MPEG1 / MPEG2 / MPEG3 / MPEG4 / DVD / VCD / SVCD / CD / MP3 / ACD / CD-R / CD-RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / JPEG KODAK Picture CD Compatible / DivX 3.11 / DivX 4.x / DivX 5.x / DivX 6.0 / DivX Ultra / WMV / WMA / MPG / MP4 / AVI / PCM

it should support most of the features like
FM Radio / Dolby Prologic II / Dolby Digital AC-3 / DTS Digital Output / HDMI 1080p Upscaling / USB PORT/ Karaoke / Progressive Scanning / Firm ware Updatable / Virtual Surround Sound

and outputs like
5.1 Sound Track Output / HDMI / Composite Video / S-Video / Component Video Output / Co-axial & Optical Output / DTS Digital Output / Analog Output

Price should be < 13K

as u all suggested ... does passion DVD have all these .... what is the model no ??
or else suggest one which has atleast all the highlighted ones....
---- regards .... raj

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ u bumped a very old thread :D

anyways frnds ..if we have AVI movies in a folder in USB like "The Notebook" , Matrix etc..does this DVD player wid USB option can play them directly wid subtitles :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.