Need some smartphone recommendations in 30-40k range.

powerstarprince

In the zone
I will buy neither because of Samsung fabbed chips. What prices though?

Around 33k for 256GB S888 S21FE is a good deal if you really want Samsung's UI & are willing to live with lower battery life (say not much usage on 4G/5G as you mostly use it over WiFi & no gaming). Android 15 should be its last android OS. One UI is the best UI in android IMO. I will not leave One UI but right now I consider that no Samsung phone below S23 is worth buying for me as an upgrade to S20FE 5G. Con of S23 is obviously the price.

S23FE has an inefficient SoC as well, so I will rather recommend S21FE S888 for cheaper as you save 20k or so.
During the Flipkart BBD sale, the price of the Exynos variant was Rs. 28,499/- and the cost of the Snapdragon was Rs. 29,999/- for the 128GB version.

How bad is the Exynos in S21 FE compared to the Snapdragon chip? The price difference between them is not much now. Snapdragon variant also has the 256GB version.

What processor does the S23 FE sport? Is it the Exynos 2200 or the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1? It's not a bad phone, but I think the price is too much now.

During the Flipkart BBD sale, the price of the Exynos variant was Rs. 28,499/- and the cost of the Snapdragon was Rs. 29,999/- for the 128GB version.

How bad is the Exynos in S21 FE compared to the Snapdragon chip? The price difference between them is not much now. Snapdragon variant also has the 256GB version.

What processor does the S23 FE sport? Is it the Exynos 2200 or the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1? It's not a bad phone, but I think the price is too much now.
Exynos vs S888 on S21FE, both are considered bad, exynos is worse among them. So get S888 if you are buying. Some reviewers said it is better than exynos for daily usage, but no concrete numbers.

As mentioned, S23FE still has a bad SoC, Exynos. I will rather live with a 35k phone (256GB S21FE S888) than 50k+ S23FE with exynos. Save 20k now & upgrade sooner to a different phone in future.

mitraark

Decrepit
Oneplus' UI is basically Color OS of oppo. There are many comparisons & such available online, check those & make your mind. It is heavy. I will rank One UI at the top among android UIs, then stock based UI like Nothing (didn't use personally, but looked fine on reviews) or Moto, then Chinese UI from Xiaomi & BBK. I personally don't like stock android of Pixel because of how barebones it is. Realistically I will try to avoid leaving Samsung (stuck with them for 6+ years now). Old Oxygen OS was top tier for me, but alas they shut it down.

Nothing's founder is the same as Oneplus, who left just before OP went downhill. I guess the gimmicky lights are just to make them stand out, that's all. NP1 had software bugs initially after launch but was solved by Dec 2022, post that the phone started getting recommendations. It has decent service presence, better than Pixel. Check for yourself in your area.
There has been a lot of bad press about Oxygen OS becoming Color OS. I have been a Oneplus user since OnePlus 3 and to be honest there hasn't been much of a reason to ditch Oxygen OS.... yet. The hue and cry over Oxygen OS being destroyed by OPPO seems a bit exaggerated, and possibly orchestrated.

Yes, they are using the same UI now. But i feel Color OS has changed itself to become more like the UI of Oxygen OS now.. the minimalistic look in a red theme is still there. UI is snappy (here Samsung phones fail, even the near flagship phones lag sometimes). Launcher is great.

The main and most significant difference between the two is, Color OS has a lot of bloatware, shows ads, and does not feature Google Playstore. Oxygen OS has none of that.

The Oneplus 11R is a superb phone for its price, the battery, fast charging, display are all top notch. The camera is a small compromise but still decent for the price. Other phones in this price range will not offer you similar specs.. the BBK Group has diluted the appeal of OnePlus by making too many phones.. and stories of hardware failure shows there has been some cost cutting for business purposes, but as on now its still in the game.

The Nothing Phone 2 is its closest competitor, and possibly better in some aspects on the software front. But the brand is still in its baby stages, im uncertain about its after sales support, hence not my top pick. Samsungs in your budget will have a lot of compromises.. battery, body. Avoid Pixels, the phone has too many issues. Same with Moto, not yet established in this price segment, may ignore.

EDIT: Just notice you have already purchased the Nothing Phone 2. Great purchase. The deal they gave in BBD Sale was unbeatable. I hope Nothing becomes what Oneplus once was, then even i might jumping ship.

There has been a lot of bad press about Oxygen OS becoming Color OS. I have been a Oneplus user since OnePlus 3 and to be honest there hasn't been much of a reason to ditch Oxygen OS.... yet. The hue and cry over Oxygen OS being destroyed by OPPO seems a bit exaggerated, and possibly orchestrated.

Yes, they are using the same UI now. But i feel Color OS has changed itself to become more like the UI of Oxygen OS now.. the minimalistic look in a red theme is still there. UI is snappy (here Samsung phones fail, even the near flagship phones lag sometimes). Launcher is great.

The main and most significant difference between the two is, Color OS has a lot of bloatware, shows ads, and does not feature Google Playstore. Oxygen OS has none of that.

The Oneplus 11R is a superb phone for its price, the battery, fast charging, display are all top notch. The camera is a small compromise but still decent for the price. Other phones in this price range will not offer you similar specs.. the BBK Group has diluted the appeal of OnePlus by making too many phones.. and stories of hardware failure shows there has been some cost cutting for business purposes, but as on now its still in the game.

The Nothing Phone 2 is its closest competitor, and possibly better in some aspects on the software front. But the brand is still in its baby stages, im uncertain about its after sales support, hence not my top pick. Samsungs in your budget will have a lot of compromises.. battery, body. Avoid Pixels, the phone has too many issues. Same with Moto, not yet established in this price segment, may ignore.

EDIT: Just notice you have already purchased the Nothing Phone 2. Great purchase. The deal they gave in BBD Sale was unbeatable. I hope Nothing becomes what Oneplus once was, then even i might jumping ship.
Color OS has Play Store in international markets & no matter how much I criticise OP or love Samsung's One UI, I do recommend people phones are that are overall a good value. Color OS, vivo's UI * MIUI have indeed improved a lot with time, but still they are notch below One UI for me. Can be considered a subjective preference as there are people who like stock android & I don't.

Samsung fabbed SoCs are a bigger con for me than OP's oxygen OS in current form, so easy to recommend OP 11R over S21FE/S23FE for me.

A good friend of mine recently bought OP11R (got 27k for green line on his OP 8T) & its main rear cam is similar to my S20FE's, selfie cam is surely better on 11R, UW & telephoto are better on my S20FE 5G. But no Gorilla Glass & no IP rating are still minor stuff which it misses out on & is not expected at ~40k. Jump from 1080p to 1200p panel was useless, IP rating would have been better for peace of mind instead.

powerstarprince

In the zone
Exynos vs S888 on S21FE, both are considered bad, exynos is worse among them. So get S888 if you are buying. Some reviewers said it is better than exynos for daily usage, but no concrete numbers.

As mentioned, S23FE still has a bad SoC, Exynos. I will rather live with a 35k phone (256GB S21FE S888) than 50k+ S23FE with exynos. Save 20k now & upgrade sooner to a different phone in future.
Exynos doesn't seem bad for daily use. I had already purchased it for Rs. 29,999/- with a device exchange rate of Rs. 3150/- for Redmi Note 7 Pro. The Final price for the phone was Rs. 27,048/- purchased in August. Samsung released the Snapdragon variant for around 45k in July. It made sense to buy the Exynos variant instead.

I didn't expect the price of the Snapdragon variant to be down to just 30k on BBD sales. The current price difference between both variants is around 2500 to 4000 rupees on Flipkart.

Battery life is less as it won't last more than a day on a 120Hz refresh rate, but 60Hz works fine to charge once every other day.

Exynos doesn't seem bad for daily use. I had already purchased it for Rs. 29,999/- with a device exchange rate of Rs. 3150/- for Redmi Note 7 Pro. The Final price for the phone was Rs. 27,048/- purchased in August. Samsung released the Snapdragon variant for around 45k in July. It made sense to buy the Exynos variant instead.

I didn't expect the price of the Snapdragon variant to be down to just 30k on BBD sales. The current price difference between both variants is around 2500 to 4000 rupees on Flipkart.

Battery life is less as it won't last more than a day on a 120Hz refresh rate, but 60Hz works fine to charge once every other day.
Phone purchase is never recommended in Aug/Sep if it is not urgent. BBD/GIS always had great deals, even though discounts are getting lower with time.

Using 60Hz on a 120Hz phone is not good. My friend with exynos S21FE is not liking the battery life at all on 4G/5G, he uses his phone on 60Hz with power saving mode. He bought a used one under 20k but he now understands why the original buyer wanted to sell it.

powerstarprince

In the zone
Phone purchase is never recommended in Aug/Sep if it is not urgent. BBD/GIS always had great deals, even though discounts are getting lower with time.

Using 60Hz on a 120Hz phone is not good. My friend with exynos S21FE is not liking the battery life at all on 4G/5G, he uses his phone on 60Hz with power saving mode. He bought a used one under 20k but he now understands why the original buyer wanted to sell it.
I never knew about the Big Billion Days or the Great Indian Sale ahead. When I wanted to buy a new phone, I saw some Amazon Prime Day sales. Flipkart also had some deals on their mobile phones. The Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G was projected as a Hero Offer on the King of Flagship deal. There were other phones in my mind, such as the S20 FE, Pixel 6a, Nothing Phone (1) and Redmi Note 12 Pro. I missed the discount on S21 FE once the sale ended. I was in a hurry to buy this phone because of its price. After two weeks, there came the Big Freedom Sale before Independence Day. The price was discounted once more, and I purchased it.

I had also purchased the Galaxy F34 when it was newly launched after two weeks. It's better to wait when not in a hurry.

S21 FE is a great phone. After I read on GSMArena that it had an endurance rating of 92, I didn't feel it would suffer from battery-related problems. The only method to stop its battery drain is to use 60Hz on power saver mode. However, on regular use, I don't think switching to 120Hz would be a problem when not using 4G/5G data more than Wi-Fi. The adaptive refresh rate would have been better on this phone.

I never knew about the Big Billion Days or the Great Indian Sale ahead. When I wanted to buy a new phone, I saw some Amazon Prime Day sales. Flipkart also had some deals on their mobile phones. The Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G was projected as a Hero Offer on the King of Flagship deal. There were other phones in my mind, such as the S20 FE, Pixel 6a, Nothing Phone (1) and Redmi Note 12 Pro. I missed the discount on S21 FE once the sale ended. I was in a hurry to buy this phone because of its price. After two weeks, there came the Big Freedom Sale before Independence Day. The price was discounted once more, and I purchased it.

I had also purchased the Galaxy F34 when it was newly launched after two weeks. It's better to wait when not in a hurry.

S21 FE is a great phone. After I read on GSMArena that it had an endurance rating of 92, I didn't feel it would suffer from battery-related problems. The only method to stop its battery drain is to use 60Hz on power saver mode. However, on regular use, I don't think switching to 120Hz would be a problem when not using 4G/5G data more than Wi-Fi. The adaptive refresh rate would have been better on this phone.
Samsung needs a good competitor. They were feeling the heat from Oneplus in 2020, hence we got gems like S20FE 5G (35k in late 2021) & A52s 5G (25k+ in later 2021). Those 2 phones are IMO still better than Samsung's current offerings except for software support. Then we had 2 years of shit SoCs made for android flagships by Samsung fab.

I expect majority of people who own S888/S888+ or 8 Gen 1 android flagships like OP 9/10 pro, S21 or S22 series to move to iPhones & never come back to android because they will observe a better battery life & less heating. Most people don't know about cons like this & battery life is a core part of a phone. A friend of mine almost made the jump to iPhone this year from OP 9 pro (he was annoyed by battery life & heating on 4G/5G), I convinced him that new SoCs are good + cons of iOS & he ended up with S23U, which he likes a lot.

Samsung fab had enough time to improve themselves but it might bite Samsung in the back along with other android flagships. I want competition in silicon fab space, but sadly TSMC has the lead & Apple is a bigger evil for smartphones than a TSMC monopoly.

End of rant

Top Bottom