Need PC for sons education and wife's entertainment

natrajkadur

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Need the system for office work (programming, MS Office) and entertainment (HD TV and Video) viewing. Here is the detailed use of the system

Professional:
Software Development for desktop and CAD application, Mobile application, and Web Application.

Education:
For sons education medias (Audio, Video, Graphics, Animation and Text).

Entertainment:
HD Movie, Music, TV

Hobby:
Handycam movie editing, Movie ripping , Photoshop, Tweaking / ripping music, Flash, 3D model

General:
Internet surfing, You tube watching, ebooks reading

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 20 - 25 K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 64 Bit future would upgrade to Windows 8. Also will add Virtual PC image of Linux / OpenSolaris, Try to install Mac OS in dual boot mode

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Min 500 GB might go for Raid in future

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, 22" - 24" with HD (1080P / 720P)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have to purchase all the components

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next month end or mid August.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes I have built my earlier system and plan to build this system myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune. Will try local, and online check where I would get best deal. Might even buy it from Chennai or Bangalore if I go there?

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Some things which I want in my system are
CPU: with 3 or more cores (Not averse to APU's)
RAM: Min 2x2GB in dual channel DDR3 1333
MoBo: should have USB 3.0, PCIe x16, PCIe x1, Dual Bios (if in budget),
PSU: In future would add a Graphic card and Blueray drive
Monitor: HD 22 - 24" PC would majorly be used for TV viewing
Optical Drive: DVD RW Dual layer
Memory Card Reader: All in one memory card reader which can read many of the famous card formats viz. MS Pro Duo, MS Dup, MMC, SD, etc.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Processor : A6 3500 @ 4k
Mobo : MSI A75MA-G55 @ 5.5k
RAM : Corsair DDR3 2 GB X 2 @ 1.5k
HDD : WD Caviar Blue 500GB(WD5000AAKX) @ 4k
Cabinet : Cooler MasterElite 343 @ 1.9k
PSU : Corsair CX430 @ 2.5k
ODD : LG 24X DVD drive @1k
Monitor : Benq 21.5 inch LED - G2222HDL @ 8k
Speakers : Altec Classic Audio BXR1221 @ 1.2k

u might look this Biostar A55ML+ @ 3k (no USB 3.0, no SATA iii)

~30k you might have personal variations..:-D

Last edited:

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
IF you want all those things , it will cost you more than 30K .
Intel DH67CL B3 @ 5.5K
Benq G222HDL @ 7.5K
SEAGATE 500 GB HDD @ 4K
Corsair CX430 V2 @ 2.3K
CM ELITE 310 @ 1.7K
CORSAIR VALUE 4 GB @ 1.3K
ASUS DVD ROM 1K.
Then where is the budget for rest of the components .
Get Intel Pentium G620 with a 16" Monitor . But , IF you can find this mobo i.e. Asrock H61 U3S3 , it has USB 3 And Sata 3 .

Minion

Conversation Architect
Get these I have tried to build a system within your budget but 22" HD monitor alone will cost you 7-8k.
Processor:AMD A6 3650 Processor-5,600
Motherboard:MSI A75MA-G55 Motherboard-5,600
RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB-1,600
HDD:Seagate 500 GB-3,700
Cabinate:CM ELITE 310 -1,700
PSU:Corsair CX430v2-2,300
Optical Drive:HP-900
Monitor:Dell ST2220L-8,000(full HD)

29k(Approx)

Get samsung B2030 for 5.6k but it is not full HD then this config. will come down to 26k.

somulesnar

Journeyman
Get these I have tried to build a system within your budget but 22" HD monitor alone will cost you 7-8k.
Processor:AMD A6 3650 Processor-5,600
Motherboard:MSI A75MA-G55 Motherboard-5,600
RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB-1,600
HDD:Seagate 500 GB-3,700
Cabinate:CM ELITE 310 -1,700
PSU:Corsair CX430v2-2,300
Optical Drive:HP-900
Monitor:Dell ST2220L-8,000(full HD)

29k(Approx)

Get samsung B2030 for 5.6k but it is not full HD then this config. will come down to 26k.

+1 for your rig buddy...

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Above and a single 4 GB will save one Ram slot and provides better upgrade path as current standard is 4GB single stick.

OP
N

natrajkadur

Broken In
Thanks all for your replies.

@Chaitanya +1 for your config. After thinking it over I also agree with @Cilus on going for single stick 4GB RAM and in future add one more.
@Sainatarajan : Sorry but Intel config with i3 / i5 at present would be over kill for my budget :-(
@Minion +1 for your config

It seems like if I have to make a PC future proof for some years then I would have to increase my budget from my current budget of 20 - 25K to 30 - 35K. :-( Bcoz after purchasing the components for the PC I would not have any money for UPS, OS and Productivity suites. :-?

I have also done some research on creating a config within my budget, but, to do that I would have to compromise on many fronts. Hence I am thinking of postponing my purchase by another 6 months. :-(

Anyway thanks for all your enthusiastic reply to my query.

Top Bottom